Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any info on Max Sahm?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

A German auto dealer from Kirchheim.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

Nope. A bicycle and/or moped dealer until 1991... https://www.facebook.com/KirchheimDamals/photos/pcb.1146517258721658/1146515652055152/?type=3

A 30 second Google search would've answered your question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

To Bakersam...there's no need to be snarky, your initial response was adequate....
Thanks for your understanding.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

Or Max Sahm, mechanic born in 1901, in Kirchheim unter Teck.
https://www.archivportal-d.de/item/MXNV5NTHKI766DOI7VDAP5JUSM43IBRR Cool
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen. Unfortunately, when you type in Max Sahm, you get 'stay-at-home-mom' stuff. So these days a 'Max Sahm' is stay at home mom that does the maximum. Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

bakersam wrote:
Nope. A bicycle and/or moped dealer until 1991... https://www.facebook.com/KirchheimDamals/photos/pcb.1146517258721658/1146515652055152/?type=3

A 30 second Google search would've answered your question.

Compare your post count to splitdog's. He has contributed far more to this community than you have so please show some respect.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

not sure if that helps, but there are several Kirchheim's in Germany. Some of them are quite small.

Do you know any additional detail? a zip code for example, the state perhaps? an old KFZ brief? a dealer logo?

There are car dealers with the same last name, and a VW Audi dealer near cologne,

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

http://autohaus-sahm.de/volkswagen-audi/

This is a long way from Kirchheim and likely not related, but it is a VW dealer named Sahm. Whether there might be any relation following the previously mention Kirchheim's closing in 1991 is a matter of speculation.

Given your inquiry in this forum, the 1951 German dealer's listing in the archives here doesn't mention Max Sahm's being a VW dealer although there are two dealers so listed on page 21.

I seem to recall seeing a dealer's tag for Sahm listed in the website. Are you premising your search predicated on that?
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

Here's the email address for the Kirchheim municipal offices: [email protected]

You might inquire of them regarding any business records for Max Sahm. That might help resolve whether he was ever an auto dealer or not. You can inquire in English, it shouldn't be a problem. You may find them very responsive and potentially helpful.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Here is why I ask:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought this and was wondering about the guy. 'Fahrzeuge' is 'vehicles', and I think he sold Porsches and VW's. Right on.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on Max Sahm? Reply with quote

I'd tread carefully on this before I considered putting it on my car.

We've seen from the Facebook page that Max Sahm was a two wheeler dealer. The store window shows that clearly. One of the two photos also shows a gas pump on the side of the building. Probably to service the mopeds he sold/serviced since there's no displayed gas brand sign (i.e. Esso, Shell, Aral, Agip etc.)

"Fahrzeuge" is a deliberately vague term in its application here. Had he been a branded auto dealer I would anticipate his typically displaying/mentioning the marque on his business badge. In their absence, you're left to conjure up all sort of self-serving "what if" explanations. Did he end up running a small used car/vehicle lot in Kirchheim in conjunction with his two wheel business? Did he run a small general vehicle repair shop? Was he really a VW/Porsche dealer but somehow failed to mention this on his badge? Still lacking any documented (automotive) evidence, you're pretty much left with a badge....and a story of your choosing.

I'd follow up with the municipality as mentioned above and see what, if anything, they can tell you. When I was searching for dealer badges ("auto-haendler plakette") I steered clear of those that didn't mention the desired marque. A VW or Porsche dealer badge will be pricier, but you'll have the peace of mind you probably seek, and be happier in the long run.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: