Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

I have an 82 Westy that has spent plenty of years bouncing down trails and camping in the woods. Now with a recent purchase of a pull behind camper, I'm looking to make my Westy more fun to just cruise in around town.

So, with that being said, I'm currently sitting on 27x8.50 R14 General Grabbers on stock rims at factory height. I've been searching endlessly and reading old threads about lowering and wheels, etc.

I'm looking at throwing on some weitec springs, hub spacers, and possibly some 16 or 17inch rims. Most people, from what Ive read on here, recommend pairing those springs with the Koni red shocks for the best ride. However, my KYB gas-a-just shocks still seem to have plenty of life left in them. Could I get away with going with just the springs? Or is it a MUST to upgrade the shocks regardless?

Also, I see mostly lowering combos with bigger wheels on tin-tops. What have some of you westy owners put together as far as wheels and lowering springs? How satisfied are you with your setup?

Keep in mind that I no longer intend on sending my Van into the backcountry, I know lowering it will render it useless on a trail. If it camps again, it will be a developed site that is most likely paved. I really just want it to be more fun on a curvy road and fit in and out of my garage without my teenage son standing on the rear bumper so it clears the garage door.

Thanks for any input you guys may have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

Hi, I'd suggest lurking through Brick Rats LT and T25 group on Facebook and the Brick Yard message boards.
Both UK based, lots of lowered campers there. On springs or bags.
I'm on brick rats but I'm in the US so you don't need to be from the UK to join.
If you don't see a direct discussion you can ask yourself and I also think Weitech brand springs are more common there.

If you've read the threads here you've probably read my posts at least on 17" wheels I've used but my truck is lite while your westy is heavy and has weight up high above the wheels so I'd expect with springs and +1+2 or +3 wheel tire setups you'll gain some better control and less body roll not not like a bare interior van or a pickup model t3. Regardless of say it's still worth it if you plan on staying on pavement or maintained grass fields.
Definitely a lot of low campers in grass field camping events in the UK.

Never hurts to have more sources for general Vanagon mod and maintenance info either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

here is my build:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743839&start=120

i'm running 17" Fuch replicas and H&R purple springs. I ended up with bilstein on all 4 corners and that wasn't by choice, it was pretty much all i could get my hands on during the flu pandemic.

having had personal experience with bilstein's in the past, i knew they were going to be stiff as hell.

that said, it drove really well, even if it was a bit stiff. i waited until the Spax adjustable shocks came back into stock and have installed them but have yet to drive it and dial it in due to weather.

if you're going full nut on this, reach out to Christopher at T3 Technique. he has all of this dialed in by memory and is super helpful.

i never intended on any off road camping anyway and in stock form this thing rode like a waterbed.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
in stock form this thing rode like a waterbed.

Lol that's a funny one.
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

I can only speak to tin top experience. I'm lowered about 2.5" with Koni shocks. They ride pretty stiff even on the softer settings. I think KYB is a softer ride, its all person preference. Gowesty springs are nice, stay away from CIP caca. If i could find weitecs at the time i would have went with them.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:
I can only speak to tin top experience. I'm lowered about 2.5" with Koni shocks. They ride pretty stiff even on the softer settings. I think KYB is a softer ride, its all person preference. Gowesty springs are nice, stay away from CIP caca. If i could find weitecs at the time i would have went with them.

I don't have specific KYB shock experience with the Vanagon, but past experience with them (gas models-struts and shocks - BTW) was very harsh and the never buy-again list. There are scores of posts on various car forums on KYB gas shocks/struts being ridiculously harsh, but perhaps the non-gas modes are fine.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

Have you considered using factory Carat lowering springs? I found a nice used set in the classifieds and installed them in my '85 tintop with factory shocks. It lowered it about 1.5", and took away the bounce. It was way nicer to drive as it was much more responsive, yet not harsh at all. If I get another 2wd van, I plan on doing the same thing. I think it would be a nice mod to a heavier Westy. They are easy to swap out if you want something else.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2132517.jpg
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

I had Weitec springs and Bilstein shocks installed recently. In 2001, I have installed a lift kit from syncro.org, so the new ride height is noticeably lower. It drives very well now and handles corners much better than before. I looked at many options, but ended up with the Weitec springs. I have a Westy, and most of the lowered vans I have seen have been tin tops.

A new benefit is the ability to park in my garage now. That’s greatly appreciated. I don’t abuse it off road anymore and just really don’t need the high stance. I’m very happy with the change.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weitec Spring and wheels question for a Westy Reply with quote

Hello,

Slightly off topic but do anyone have first hand experience with the Gowesty lowering springs on a Tintop?

I'm looking for options for lowering without stiffnening too much. Used Carat springs would be my first choice but they seems to be impossible to find these days.

Thanks!

Mathieu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: