Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

Hey boys, here is my situation. I have a '67 Sedan that I try to keep as a daily. However, I have had some regular electrical issues with my bug which has led me to the conclusion that I would like to replace the original 52 yr old harness. The circumstances aren't important here, but suffice it to say, I fear fire in my daily and would prefer the cost and effort to make her completely safe.

I plan to replace the loom with a premade kit for Wolfsburg West here: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113971011G I also figure on replacing my fuse box and battery cables.

I am willing to spare the expense of replacing anything else that might be faulty or just plain old. Any other electrical parts or areas you guys would suggest? Any tips I should heed? I am sure any old grommets or anything will be things I add to my purchase, so really what I'm asking about are the actual parts that are conducting electricity in my vehicle. I am no pro here, but am pretty handy. Help me out fellas!
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

Here is an article that I wrote several years ago. It might help you a bit in the understanding of DIN wiring systems. Replacement harnesses are quite easy and the instructions included are pretty good and easy to follow. Best advice... Make sure your grounds are good. Just about every electrical problem can be traced to bad grounds.

http://1967beetle.com/wiring/

Happy wiring!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texas67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy! I've actually seen this article before and am glad to have been reacquainted with it.

I am strongly considering going to a modern alternator with a kit from either JBugs here: https://www.jbugs.com/product/9446.html Or a kit from C1P here: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D5750%2DKT

Any opinions regarding these kits or the benefits of an alternator is welcome. However, I wonder if this will require more of the "custom" approach. I suspect likely not.

I so have an electric fuel pump which has been wired into the brake light section of my current harness at the master cylinder.

My bug also has an aftermarket stereo in it (from PO) with a small amp and subs, which might push it into a custom harness category.

Should I be able to get away with the standard wiring loom from Westburg and then make some additions? Or should I attempt a custom harness which seems a bit overwhelming for a guy who doesn't restore bugs for a living.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

Just my opinion here. I would install the stock replacement harness, and add your accessories as a separate sub-harnesses. The fuel pump for example should have it's own power and probably a relay for safety. If you ever decide to put a mechanical fuel pump back into the vehicle, it's easy to disconnect and/or remove. Same for your aftermarket stereo. Switching to an alternator is truly an easy modification. So, take your time and do it correctly the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texas67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

Thanks again so much Jeremy! I am glad that your opinion is to start with a standard harness, that makes it seem less daunting! Bless you!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

I wanted to add a wire just as a future accessory in my new '65 double cab harness. I stretched the thing out on the family room floor and let it warm up to room temp. I used a fishrod (fiberglass sectional 12' rod) to make space in the loom jacket. I taped on a 16g wire and pulled it through. Finding I had more room- I added a second (maybe for a future oil press. gauge).

I was very impressed how much spare room there was in the bus harness jacket. It resulted in a very factory-looking install and a loom that is easy to pull through the bus frame. Doing this with a 9 foot long bug loom would be a snap.

The 16g is okay for stereo deck power- but certainly not the amp.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Texas67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

j.goodspeed wrote:
Just my opinion here. I would install the stock replacement harness, and add your accessories as a separate sub-harnesses. The fuel pump for example should have it's own power and probably a relay for safety. If you ever decide to put a mechanical fuel pump back into the vehicle, it's easy to disconnect and/or remove. Same for your aftermarket stereo. Switching to an alternator is truly an easy modification. So, take your time and do it correctly the first time.

Jeremy, I am soon going to dive into this project. Given that I have an electric fuel pump I'm wiring in, an aftermarket stereo with amp, and am strongly considering adding fog lamps someday in the future, I am strongly considering adding a second fuse box under the hood for these systems. I am looking at this box: https://www.jbugs.com/product/971020-6ATC.html

I'm thinking this will help with these systems not interfering with the other systems, keeping it a little easier to work on and trouble shoot in the future, and help me avoid trying to figure out how to add these to a fuse box that doesn't have room for expansion. Do you have an opinion about this, sir?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

Check the right side of your dash, under/in front of the glovebox. It is probably already formed to accept a stock fusebox, intended to be used for RHD cars. I cut out the pattern and put a second, stock fusebox there to run my accessories like lighter, fog lamps, driving lamp, stereo, etc. I had added an ammeter, and just took a second lead off the output side of the ammeter. I was careful to use large wires to provide voltage source to the new fusebox. It all looked stock VW that way.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about replacing electrical system in a '67 Sedan Reply with quote

A big fire risk is on the carb and fuel pump fittings, please see link below on engine fires and safety wires. I nearly lost my kit car with a stock 67 Bug motor in it, it caught fire on me, Had just barely enough extinguisher to put it out. I ended up shaking the extinguisher trying to get the last flames out in from the pool of gasoline as fuel poured out of the hose. I now carry a bigger extinguisher, and all my aircooled VWs get the safety wire treatment.

Stay safe, Bug On, Fire Proof!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: