Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealant for breather box cork gasket?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

I'm installing a new cork gasket for the chimney breather box on my '78 2.0 FI engine. Is it recommended to use any type of sealer between the case and gasket and/or gasket and box?

Not positive, but I think in the Raby Bug Me video he installs it without?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

A little grease on the engine side is all it needs, maybe some Permatex 2 or Curil T on the breather box side if you wish. Treat it like a rocker cover gasket.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

half tube of red silicon will do the trick.
(this is sarcasm ^^)

i need to do this job on a customer's bus, and I plan on using either Curil T or a very thin smear of permatex ultra-black for the gasket to box, then grease from gasket to engine case. of course all sealing surfaces will be cleaned and degreased thoroughly prior to installation.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

I have never used any sealant there, no need, vapor only, if you have any oily film then your crankcase has too much pressure and that needs taken care of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

The cork gasket on the breather box is a BIG source of vacuum/gas leak. Not big in volume....but chronic. This is not as big of an issue with L-jet as it is with D-jet because you do not have straight manifold vacuum to the case.

I take any of the Permatex ultra....but Ultra black is the most oil resistant....and run a thin even layer on the box side only. Apply it to the box and set the box into postion on the case nice and square with just a little bit of weight. You do not want to squeeze the sealer out. Let it dry. The cork seal is perfectly adhered now to the breather box.

Apply a paper thin, smooth layer of Ultra black to the case side of the gasket. I use a roller so its a perfect layer. Takes about 30 seconds. Just let it dry. Do not attache it to the case until its dry. You are not trying to glue it to the case.

The RTV makes a very thin compressible sealing layer....that does not allow the oil to attack the rubber compound the cork gasket is made of....so it stays pliable for ages...and also prevents most of the shrinkage it gets with age.

The cork gasket can easily seal perfectly for over 100k miles this way.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
This is not as big of an issue with L-jet as it is with D-jet because you do not have straight manifold vacuum to the case.

But with L-Jet the big fat hose that comes off the s-boot is metered air, so if it's leaking at that seal, unmetered air is entering the system making the L-Jet run lean and making your heads melt at high speed. I actually had a valve seat sink for this very reason. So yeah, it is a big deal
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
This is not as big of an issue with L-jet as it is with D-jet because you do not have straight manifold vacuum to the case.

But with L-Jet the big fat hose that comes off the s-boot is metered air, so if it's leaking at that seal, unmetered air is entering the system making the L-Jet run lean and making your heads melt at high speed. I actually had a valve seat sink for this very reason. So yeah, it is a big deal

Yep....as I noted...I KNOW it is a problem with L-jet.....but its more of a hard to track pain in the ass lean/rich driveability issue.....than a big time run or not run issue like with D-jet. This is because the vacuum on L-jet where the oil breather hose dumps into.....which is between the AFM and the OUTSIDE/atmospheric side of the TB.....is very low and the volume of air flowing from the PCV diaphragm valve.....is relatively low.

I fully agree......its still significant on L-jet.....but compared to D-jet....where the PCV hose is flowing directly to the manifold downstream of the TB snd can have as much as 15" of vacuum on it and dumps into the manifold about 1/2" from the manifold pressure sensor (MPS) inlet.....having a leak at the gasket on the oil breather causes HUGE issues.

A leak can swing you to full enrichment...because a vacuum leak is read by the MPS as throttle opening. Ray
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I'm refurbing my breather box right now. When I removed the pcv valve (or the equivalent) I noticed that there was a seal or o-ring between it and the box. Is this stock? I don't see any reference of it in the bentley. In fact I don't see any reference to the valve itself in the book either (I looked under engine and FI). If this is normal, does anyone have a part # or a link to a replacement?

Besides the seal it looks like RTV was used on the seal and to seal the valve to the box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ivwshane on Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

Yes that's stock, one of those O ring assortments from Harbor freight should have something that fits over the snout of the valve yet still makes the valve sit up a MM or 2 before tightening up the nuts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes that's stock, one of those O ring assortments from Harbor freight should have something that fits over the snout of the valve yet still makes the valve sit up a MM or 2 before tightening up the nuts.

Excellent! Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

it is the same as the one between the booster and master. Easy to find something that fits and works. DO NOT clean the inside of the PCV valve or it will dissolve instantly. To see if it is already perforated draw a small vacuum on the small hole on top. If it holds a vacuum the valve is still good.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

Don’t put sealant on the oring. Maybe a dab of lube but that’s it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

I found that the bale wasn't applying very much compression to the gasket. I was able to use a vise and judicious use of pliers to carefully bend the wire in such a way as to increase the tension and that seemed to do the trick. I initially used grease on both sides of the gasket but didn't like the way it allowed everything to slide around, felt like a recipe for extruding the gasket, so I switched to Curil T and that stays in place a little more to my liking. I feel like RTV applied carefully is also appropriate in this instance, but like Ray noted you don't want to glue the breather box on. Just create a nice cushy sealing surface.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

I'm at HF right now and I have 3 choices for o-ring material, nitrile, viton, and HNBR. What should I get for this application?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealant for breather box cork gasket? Reply with quote

viton if they have it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: