Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

After recently having the drums machined, shoes replaced, and brakes bled and adjusted..............all was rolling/stopping well. Till tonight.

Decided to take it for a stroll (bad idea). Thought I could take it on the back roads to get in some driving time. Well, didn't think about the time and everyone trying to get home after work. So as you can imagine I had to do a lot of braking, stop and go, from light to light. Engine was getting hot, I could smell it from time to time. Once I got going, it was fine again, and smell was gone.

Last weekend, the brakes were fine and stopped. There were no signs of pulling one side to another when applying the brakes. Tonight, I started off fine. About half way through the ride it started pulling badly to the right front side. I started heading back for home, but I was still a good ways away. But pointless story short, the brakes pulled really hard to the right. Got it in to the garage and put my hand on each hubcap to see if there was any heat. I could feel luke warm heat on all three wheels (all were similar), except the right front. That was hot AF! I pulled off the hub cap with a screw driver, and the drum was even hotter. obviously.

I'm assuming this means that the brakes need adjusted on that side, After I drove it last weekend after doing the brake job, I got home and adjusted the brakes so that all were identical. So I figured I was done. Guess not

Is it safe to assume this right front brake just needs to be adjusted? Any reason to think the bearings are bad? Or axle nut may be too tight?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Is it safe to assume this right front brake just needs to be adjusted? Any reason to think the bearings are bad? Or axle nut may be too tight?

You'll need to pull both front drums and take a look. Could be bad adjustment, broken spring, bad flexible brake line at front right, bearings, anything almost.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

If you install the adjuster incorrectly, this will cause binding, dragging, & overheating.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

I'll definitely taking the front apart this weekend.

When you say "adjuster", you are referring to the star mechanism, right?
How the hell do you install that incorrectly? It only goes in one way, no?
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

Maybe a brake cylinder hanging up when it gets hot? Take it out, apart, and grease the internals of it with brake grease and see how it does.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

The adjusters have angled slots (some years) and you might be able to inatall them wrong, but I'm not sure you could install the drum if you made that mistake.

If all looks good then I would suspect a sticking wheel cylinder or failing flex hose to that front wheel (they can fail by acting like a one way valve that won't let fluid return.)
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

I did not replace the front wheel cylinders or front brake lines. All was dry so I left alone.

I'll check the brakes, then go from there. I'll check everything Saturday
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

One way to determine if it’s a brake line is to jack the car up and see if the wheel spins after taking it for a drive. If it’s hard to spin, leave it and come back in an hour. See if it now spins. If it does, you most likely have a bad line. What happens is the lines collapse internally. The MCpushes the fluid through and the shoes engage. The line collapses and keeps the pressure from relieving. Letting it sit, it slowly leaks back and releives the pressure, disengaging the shoes. Been there.

Front spindle nuts could also be too tight, but shouldn’t cause pulling.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

[quote="Sharp64"]One way to determine if it’s a brake line is to jack the car up and see if the wheel spins after taking it for a drive. If it’s hard to spin, leave it and come back in an hour. See if it now spins. If it does, you most likely have a bad line. What happens is the lines collapse internally. The MCpushes the fluid through and the shoes engage. The line collapses and keeps the pressure from relieving. Letting it sit, it slowly leaks back and releives the pressure, disengaging the shoes. Been there.

My guess too, and been there as well.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

[quote="Helfen"]
Sharp64 wrote:
One way to determine if it’s a brake line is to jack the car up and see if the wheel spins after taking it for a drive. If it’s hard to spin, leave it and come back in an hour. See if it now spins. If it does, you most likely have a bad line. What happens is the lines collapse internally. The MCpushes the fluid through and the shoes engage. The line collapses and keeps the pressure from relieving. Letting it sit, it slowly leaks back and releives the pressure, disengaging the shoes. Been there.

Or open the bleed valve there and see if fluid squirts out, and if the drum then turns.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

Here's the adjuster.
One side of the slot is deeper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it's installed upside down, the brakes will do strange crap.

Check the bleed down as suggested above.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

angled adjuster screws depends on the year. 65 was the start from the factory.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

[quote="Cusser"]
Helfen wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Or open the bleed valve there and see if fluid squirts out, and if the drum then turns.

That would work better. Lol.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Here's the adjuster.
One side of the slot is deeper.

If it's installed upside down, the brakes will do strange crap.

Check the bleed down as suggested above.

Oh wow, I didn't realize the slots were different between the two. That makes me wonder if that is the issue. hell, I removed all the stars and cleaned them up. It may be correct, as I took them off and cleaned them so they'd go back on the same side they came off. But I have a track record (bearings) of mixing parts up. But I'll compare the drivers side to the passenger side and see if I see anything different.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

[quote="Cusser"]
Helfen wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

well, I did just bleed the brakes last weekend, so I know fluid came out and all was functional. I couldn't imagine it being completely closed after one weekend....but what do I know.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:

You don't have angled adjusters Wink read the internet with caution
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

Embarassed
they are testing my knowledge and attention to detail
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

[quote="crankbait09"]
Cusser wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

well, I did just bleed the brakes last weekend, so I know fluid came out and all was functional. I couldn't imagine it being completely closed after one weekend....but what do I know.

That's the thing, it will bleed. What you want to see is if it releases pressure on the shoes. The lines will collapse after the fluid is pushed through causing the shoes to keep pressure on the drum. Rather than driving it, you could also jack up the one wheel and check if the wheel turns freely. If it does, pump the brakes and then check to see if it is still turning. If its not and frees up after opening the bleed valve, you most likely have a bad line. The pressure from the MC opens it up to push the fluid through, but it isn't under the same pressure returning back through the line so it stays collapsed keeping pressure on the shoe.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

Embarassed
they are testing my knowledge and attention to detail

I will say though that your adjusters look to be possibly uneven. Shouldn't result in the symptoms youre having but will make the shoes wear unevenly.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Just putting it out there. You might also want to make sure that your new shoes match the profile of the old ones where they seat into the adjuster, the new shoes might have been made to work with the newer style adjusters.

The first time I ran into this situation was on a '60 that another shop had done the brake job & I had to disassemble everything to find out where the fault was.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: