Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Quote:
I’m not convinced the bearings are bad. If the drum isn’t getting hot you should be ok. When you are tightening the nuts are you using a screwdriver to insure the washer behind can still be moved easily? are you using the stock nuts or the later style? This is one area of originality I would forgo and use the newer style. Much easier to deal with.

as for the nuts.......I was using the two flange nuts that went with that washer with tabs that have to bent over. I have since replaced them with these: http://www.mooreparts.com/chromoly-vw-king-pin-spindle-nuts-clamp-type-with-pinch-bolt/

At first I tightened it just enough to allow that washer to slide easily. Then when I wiggled the tire in that condition, there was a bit of play in the tire. So I tightened it. so the washer didn't move. My wobble went away. Plus after feeling the "hum", that's why I also tightened it. I have not loosened it since I got home.

So at this point, spindle nuts are still tight
washer is supposed to be able to move. Not flop around, but should slide with pressure from a screwdriver.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:
Quote:
I’m not convinced the bearings are bad. If the drum isn’t getting hot you should be ok. When you are tightening the nuts are you using a screwdriver to insure the washer behind can still be moved easily? are you using the stock nuts or the later style? This is one area of originality I would forgo and use the newer style. Much easier to deal with.

as for the nuts.......I was using the two flange nuts that went with that washer with tabs that have to bent over. I have since replaced them with these: http://www.mooreparts.com/chromoly-vw-king-pin-spindle-nuts-clamp-type-with-pinch-bolt/

At first I tightened it just enough to allow that washer to slide easily. Then when I wiggled the tire in that condition, there was a bit of play in the tire. So I tightened it. so the washer didn't move. My wobble went away. Plus after feeling the "hum", that's why I also tightened it. I have not loosened it since I got home.

So at this point, spindle nuts are still tight
washer is supposed to be able to move. Not flop around, but should slide with pressure from a screwdriver.

ok. i'll re-adjust
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

so let's talk about this front wheel "hum/silent grind" that no one seems to be concerned with.

I know I can't hear anything, but I certainly feel it.
Could this be a possible sign that the bearings could soon need replaced?
I wish I had a better way of explaining it. All I know is that I feel it, but can't hear it. And it was after 15-20 minutes of driving it.

Once I get the new hubcap clips installed, I'll get it back out and see what more I can hear. But for now, I have some work to do
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

Are the tires balanced? Do you notice the issue at a certain speed? Does the car track straight? Happens under certain road conditions?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

It drove straight, and I felt nothing. till I stopped at the gas station. Now that I think back, there was a drain cover on the driveway of the gas station that I rolled over. Could have been coincidence, but once I rolled over that I felt the rubbing/humming. Speed didn't matter. Felt it when turning the wheel slightly to the left, never to the right.

then on the way home, i felt it when slightly turning to the left.

As long as the front wheel doesn't fall off and I have no safety issues with it, then I'll take it out again to listen/feel
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
It drove straight, and I felt nothing. till I stopped at the gas station. Now that I think back, there was a drain cover on the driveway of the gas station that I rolled over. Could have been coincidence, but once I rolled over that I felt the rubbing/humming. Speed didn't matter. Felt it when turning the wheel slightly to the left, never to the right.

then on the way home, i felt it when slightly turning to the left.

As long as the front wheel doesn't fall off and I have no safety issues with it, then I'll take it out again to listen/feel

Any chance the tire is rubbing the speedo or brake line?
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

I'm gonna say no. The cable comes straight out of the backing plate and loops upwards. It's no where near the tire.

and to back up. With the oil level back down to where it should have been, and their being no smell of gas in the oil.........Still a chance I could have the issues BlueBus86 mentioned above?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
I'm gonna say no. The cable comes straight out of the backing plate and loops upwards. It's no where near the tire.

and to back up. With the oil level back down to where it should have been, and their being no smell of gas in the oil.........Still a chance I could have the issues BlueBus86 mentioned above?

Make some more observations and isolate when its doing it. My opinion, if its intermittent, its most likely not at issue. Check for wear on any surfaces. When you took the brakes apart, did you remove the backing plate? If so, did you replace the bolts correctly? One should have been longer as it acts like a stop. Make sure nothing has come loose, like the upper shock bolts. Check the sway bar. Go under, grab things and shake them. Take the hubcaps off and drive it for a little to see if there is any change. Maybe missing clips is throwing the balance off? Is there a vibration coming form the wheel? What type of tires? Radial or Bias Ply? What does the wear look like on them? What pressure are you running?

If the oil level went back down, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't give in to the Chicken Little syndrome. Relax.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

Make some more observations and isolate when its doing it. My opinion, if its intermittent, its most likely not at issue. Check for wear on any surfaces. When you took the brakes apart, did you remove the backing plate? If so, did you replace the bolts correctly? One should have been longer as it acts like a stop. Make sure nothing has come loose, like the upper shock bolts. Check the sway bar. Go under, grab things and shake them. Take the hubcaps off and drive it for a little to see if there is any change. Maybe missing clips is throwing the balance off? Is there a vibration coming form the wheel? What type of tires? Radial or Bias Ply? What does the wear look like on them? What pressure are you running?

If the oil level went back down, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't give in to the Chicken Little syndrome. Relax.

alright, thanks. I have a list of things to do. When I get back out I'll check everything. I'll report back
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: pulling to one side and drum really hot (front right) Reply with quote

Pull the bearings, clean them and inspect them. When bearings get pitted they will make a kind of roaring or rumbling sound. You actually feel it more than hear it.
Here is what a bad bearing can look like. (the left one)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: