Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

As seen in the photo, my steering wheel is not at the 9:00/3:00 position. The bus drives straight down the road but the wheel is off-centered.

What variables might effect this?
How do I go about troublshooting/asdressing this issue?

Thanks,

Jeff
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

Replaced the drag link recently? That looks like one turn of the adjustable end of the drag link will make the steering wheel straight.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - I've had the bus for two years and this is how it came.
I'm a newbie so have not done anything to the drag link. Will do some homework and learn about how to do this adjustment.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

Simple solution is to remove the SW and clock it. Problem is sometimes they are hard to pull off
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

To do this right, you need to center the steering gear exactly to see what's off? The center link, the steering wheel, etc.

My bus had someone in it's past remove the steering wheel. I removed it and centered the steering gear with the pitman arm also removed. I then centered the steering gear. Then adjusted the center link to close as possible wheels straight ahead. Then bolted the steering wheel back on centered correctly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

Do you want split hairs and get all scientific on this or get done? It’s a bit complicated otherwise.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing an off-center steering wheel Reply with quote

Jack the front end of the bus up and put it on stands. Rotate the steering wheel back and forth through the straight ahead position, feeling for the steering gear "tight spot". This is where the steering gear will have the least "play", the steering will be the most stable, the wheels should be straight forward and the steering wheel should be at 9:00-3:00. Rotate the steering wheel on it's splines to adjust. Adjust the drag link for straight travel. (This can be somewhat coarse. If you have adjustable tie rods both left and right, you can get it exact.)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: