Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Congratulations to Meyers Manx #1356; Bud Zeller (driver/navigator), Vincent Parisien (driver/navigator), Paul Mabin (driver/navigator), Chris Lewis (driver/navigator), and Joe Wheeler (car builder!) for their 3RD PLACE FINISH (Evolution Meyers Manx category) in the 2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 Off Road Race, April 22 – 27, 2018.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hats off to their support crew, along with the other friends and family who were also in attendance to cheer them on to a fantastic finish. WELL DONE!

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Mike1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Congrats

Any footage of the build and race?
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

There were a few photos posted on Facebook, but I know that Bud Zeller has tons of GoPro footage to go through. He has plans to document the event in the best way possible; I will add the (future) link here for those that do not see it through other websites/social media platforms.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Thanks Gary!

The Puzzle Manx was driven every day from 4-16-18 starting in Anderson SC to San Diego, then into Mexico. From Esenada MX, it was raced 1369 miles to San Jose del Cabo. After a few days partying, it was driven back to the US, then to Anderson SC, and trailered back home making it last night.

What a cool adventure with a fantastic team. When we had a lot of problems on the 2nd race day, the team worked until 3 AM into day 3, and got the 1356 buggy back into the next days show.

A first time team, with a buggy built by a guy who had never seen the Baja, or racing in the desert, not only completed the race, but we came in 3rd in class.

Day 1 racing, photo by France R.

Day 2 at Bay of LA working way into the early morning. Photo by Scott B

Coming into the day 5 and final finish line. Photo by France R.

On the return trip back to West Virginia, we stopped at Bruce Meyers House to visit and talk of the next adventure. Photo by Kim K. (L to R, Bruce Meyers, myself, and Paul Mabin)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone

Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Thu May 10, 2018 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Great job guys!
Nice to see some pics, hear some of the story.... another bucketlistbox checked Laughing

I'm a bit confused though....
I see the 3rd place trophy but why do the official NORRA results read differently???

Next adventure.... Carlisle PA?

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
I see the 3rd place trophy but why do the official NORRA results read differently???

That is a GREAT question; best answered by an official member of the #1356 team. At the end of the day, it appears that officials at NORRA did their absolute best to alleviate a challenging situation.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Great job guys!
Nice to see some pics, hear some of the story.... another bucketlistbox checked Laughing

Next adventure.... Carlisle PA?

Once NORRA posts results, you have 30 minutes to question or protest any inconsistencies. NORRA stated they would post results at 10:00 AM each morning. They never meet that deadline. We missed the final posting and window.

Once we noticed we had a 50 minute time penalty, it was already too late to question. The penalty stated "entering a Time Control too soon". The Time Control we were penalized for was the first TC on day 5. Which was the starting line for Day 5 racing. How do you enter a TC too early when NORRA starts you at the line???

You do get penalties for leaving a Time Control into a Special Stage, (Special Stages "SS" are the off road sections totaling 1003 miles, and the Time Control "TC" are road transits totaling 366 miles). On Day 5, the TC-01 had allowed 40 minutes to transit 27 miles through La Paz to the start of the off road section. If you enter into a SS from a TC before the 40 minutes allowed, you get penalized 2 minutes for each minute early. So, a 50 minute penalty would mean we entered 25 minutes too early. No way could the 27 miles be traveled in 15 minutes with the traffic that was in the city. Plus, NORRA wrote we started at 1100 into the TC-01. Then they wrote we entered the Special Stage at 1141. So, no way we committed a time violation.

Since final results were posted and not changeable, it is what it is. We needed to return the Race Trax trackers from the two chase vehicles and buggy to NORRA. We went to the Tropicana Hotel where NORRA HQ'ed to return the Race Trax trackers on Saturday. While there, we saw Jenny, who runs the NORRA basically. Asked her about the penalty. She directed us to the time keeper, (cannot remember his name), he pulled our time cards, looked at them and stated NORRA made a mistake.

Since the results were final, they will stand as posted with # 302 as 3rd place. But as consolation to their mistake, he gave # 1356 a 3rd place trophy for finishing 42 minutes and xx seconds before # 302.

So, the Unofficial Official Final Results are # 1356 completed the race without any penalties and finishing in 3rd place. The only buggy in our class to run a clean race.

My personal goal was to complete the race, and we did. But getting acknowledged as 3rd place finisher was great confirmation to our team. It made them elated to place.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
So, the Unofficial Official Final Results are # 1356 completed the race without any penalties and finishing in 3rd place. The only buggy in our class to run a clean race. My personal goal was to complete the race, and we did. But getting acknowledged as 3rd place finisher was great confirmation to our team. It made them elated to place.

To Joe, Vincent, Paul, Bud, and Chris; unofficially/officially well done!

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

That all makes perfect sense. How can anyone expect organizations and sanctioning bodies to know their own rules? Rolling Eyes

Sorry if I seemed negative in my previous post but I was truly scratching my head at the apparent contradiction.

Overall I think it is awesome to finish such a grueling event let alone place well. My hat's off to you all!

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
jeisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Watching the race on the Norra web site/tracker got a little confusing.I wondered about the discrepancy that seemed to swap around at times. Good of them to give you the trophy.Great job from a small team of east coasters.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Congratulations guys. Simply showing up should qualify for a 6' trophy. Nice to see people are still 'doing' things.

Jim
Manx #2614
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Congrats! That is very very cool.
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Wow!
Being 3rd is sweet.
I am sure the whole experience priceless!!
Congrats to all!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Team #1356 - 3rd Place (Evolution Meyers Manx) 2018 NORRA Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!

Our whole team, and not just the ones who made the trip, worked very hard to make sure the buggy made it to the finish line. Every single team member had sweat in that task.

As a side note, BNR may have had the largest team at NORRA with 14 total. It was a blast to have entered and completed the race.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: