Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

They do seem to be installed under vehicles sometimes, at least the VW T5 Vans as mentioned earlier in this thread, and in that position.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The T5 does have what seems to be a plastic splash panel to keep it clean. Assuming I do install under the bus, I'll build something similar.

I plan to contact a distributor on Monday to discuss my install plans just to verify assumptions and make sure I'm not missing something somehow before I make any commitments. I.e. cutting holes for return or whatever.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Go to:

Eberspacher_Airtronic_D2_Technical_Manual.pdf

Go to pg18 and it will explain the permissible angles. 90 deg so the air and exhaust ports are horizontal is ok as long as the glow plug is straight up. This is th 52 pg manual. The 40 pg one does not have this info. FYI.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
Go to:

Eberspacher_Airtronic_D2_Technical_Manual.pdf

Go to pg18 and it will explain the permissible angles. 90 deg so the air and exhaust ports are horizontal is ok as long as the glow plug is straight up. This is th 52 pg manual. The 40 pg one does not have this info. FYI.

Thanks for the info!

Here is a link to a copy of the manual for anyone else who may be interested.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Eberspacher_Airtronic_D2_Technical_Manual.pdf

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If the thing is made to be mounted under the bus, why not save the interior room for other camping gear?

x2
Interior space is already rather limited. Wink

As I build out our bus, I'm trying to avoid putting anything "inside". I'm still trying to decide where I'm going to put my spare. I refuse to give up passenger/cargo space inside for it. :p

Thanks for sharing your install Dave. I'm gonna watch and try to pickup ideas from you along the way.

BTW, we share the same last name. Cool

My 1968 Campmobile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Since I've seen the instructions on mounting it sideways and underneath the bus, I feel more confident about doing this. Even though I do plan to protect it with some kind of splash shield, yesterday I had the bright idea of smearing some high temp silicone sealant along the openings to further protect it from water and dust intrusion. Or possibly something like Gorilla Tape, depending on how how the plastic outer shell gets. I shouldn't often need to open the thing up, so I figure that would peel away easily enough whenever that might become necessary.

At the moment, my rear Vanagon heater core simply blows into the open door on the seat pedestal. I've long-planned to clean that up a bit and build things so that it blows through the original heat vent instead. Just haven't gotten to that.

So I've been considering how I want to use both.

I'm having a hard time describing what I'm thinking here, but I think it can be set up so that both forms of heat come out of the stock rear vent, and I can put the door back at some point. Now that I'm typing all this out, I suppose I don't actually have to figure this out immediately.

Only related to the fact that we discussed saving interior room, I figured out that i can relocate my air filter box to the passenger side and put the starting battery back in the engine compartment. I will have to put in a new battery tray though! The old one is long-rusted away. So I will probably be using a combination of a few welds on the interior edges and some kind of panel bond product along the exterior to avoid welding burn-through.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

I mounted my Chinese Webasto copy inside in the Westy cabinet space where the spare tire is supposed to go. I didn't run any air ducts at all. Just drilled holes in the floor for the intake/exhaust pipes, ran the fuel line and mounted the heater directly to the floor blowing the heat towards the cabin.

It's pretty unobtrusive there. I can cover it it up with the spare tire cover cabinet piece if I want. And it's doesn't take much interior space away. My spare tire is on the nose.

As has been noted, basically all of the Chinese heaters sold are for DIESEL even if they say gasoline in the description. For those reading this thread who want to go Chinese, it may be worth having a separate diesel tank. The fuel consumption is low enough to not really be a major hassle.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
I mounted my Chinese Webasto copy inside in the Westy cabinet space where the spare tire is supposed to go. I didn't run any air ducts at all. Just drilled holes in the floor for the intake/exhaust pipes, ran the fuel line and mounted the heater directly to the floor blowing the heat towards the cabin.

It's pretty unobtrusive there. I can cover it it up with the spare tire cover cabinet piece if I want. And it's doesn't take much interior space away. My spare tire is on the nose.

As has been noted, basically all of the Chinese heaters sold are for DIESEL even if they say gasoline in the description. For those reading this thread who want to go Chinese, it may be worth having a separate diesel tank. The fuel consumption is low enough to not really be a major hassle.

Wow, that seems pretty dangerous to sell something made for diesel as usable with gasoline! Shocked

Thought about the spare tire cabinet, but my tire is still there! I can't decide if I want to move it out or not. Really the only reason I would have to move it would be to have a "full size" spare. (I've got 27 inch General Grabbers.)

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Wow, that seems pretty dangerous to sell something made for diesel as usable with gasoline! Shocked

Thought about the spare tire cabinet, but my tire is still there! I can't decide if I want to move it out or not. Really the only reason I would have to move it would be to have a "full size" spare. (I've got 27 inch General Grabbers.)

It's possible that you might get one that works with Gasoline. But there's no recourse really if it doesn't work right. The ads often say "gasoline" in the title then "diesel" in the description. My favorite: "Fuel Gasoline: Diesel"

Real Webasto units, of which these are copies, have an entirely different burner assembly, different control module, and different fuel pump for petrol vs. diesel.

Diesel/Kerosene is also an easier and safer fuel to burn in this manner. There's a reason those Torpedo garage heaters run on diesel.

You can apparently buy "real" Webasto petrol units from Russia at about half price. Don't know much about them.

As for the spare tire, nowadays a lot of new cars are leaving it off and giving you a high end fix-a-flat kit. That and AAA will cover most emergencies. I've had my bus for 10 years and never had a flat. The proper 6 ply rated tires probably has something to do with that.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

WT, is your heater diesel or gasoline powered?

Yes, I have noticed that the ebay listings say both fuels. I reached out to one of them, but got no response. Confused

I understand the arguments for using diesel, but I'm just not willing to go that route. If I was already running diesel like Dave, it's a no brainer.

Adding a small diesel tank has downsides. First is space. I'm already looking for ways to get stuff out of the inside of the bus. I don't want to find space for another fuel tank too. Second, and related, how small of a tank would I get and then how long would that last? Our goal is to be able to boondock camp for at least a week at a time. If my little diesel tank is too small, now I would need to carry a second gas can? Where am I cramming this little tank? How hard is it going to be to fill from the gas can I now have to carry? Nope. Single fuel source thanks. Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Last night I ordered a few more pieces of ductwork I'll need to mount it how I wish under the Bus. Don't know if I'll have them in-hand in time to work on it this weekend-but it would be pretty awesome if so!

Hikelite-I have seen at least one installation in the Vanagon forums where the second tank is located in the engine compartment. Because Diesel is not very volatile, that install doesn't frighten me. You can find the specs on fuel use and speculate how much you need (and therefore whether a tank would last a week) but they are very frugal.

There are genuine gasoline-fired Espar heaters out there, but as discussed they are quite a bit more expensive.

Does your Westy have a propane tank? A Propex heater might be a good option if so.

As far as the spare tire issue: I've had my Bus since 2002. I had one flat in 2003 and that was on old tires. I didn't get around to buying proper load-rated fresh tires until 2004. So yeah I agree that a spare may not be a full-time necessity. But I'm not quite willing to just remove the spare quite yet!

You're likely correct that a can of fix a flat plus AAA would very likely get you out of most situations just fine.

It did occur to me yesterday that I'm running around in my Thing with a spare, but no jack or other tools to change the tire! ha ha It is light enough that when I had a slow leak (valve stem) one one of the General Grabber tires, I never would notice that it was low.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

as mentioned the chinese list both fuels. and don't answer inquiries..
I have one I sourced via Alibaba.. and while i ordered gas/benzine I got diesel..

I've been meaning to trial it on gasoline mounted to a portable stand outside the bus/van.
it does expect to make fire afterall.

so how's a heater operate.. well like a furnace..

they purge the chamber with air for a minute(s)
then they glow the glow plug
and spray fuel onto the plug expecting it to ignite and there to be fire.
diesel has more BTUs than gasoline. so gas will burn less hot
diesel is harder to ignite than gasoline.. so diesel has more chance of not igniting..

the chamber and parts are all designed to have a fire blazing inside.

if anything it will be metered for the btu of diesel and gasoline may burn lean. or maybe blow out?
hence I'd planned to run it on a stand and well that's a winter job.. so maybe by fall I'll get to it..

not saying in the least anyone should burn gas in a diesel heater.. but.. I'll be giving it a try.. will let you know then..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Im still waiting for one of you rocket scientists to call a Espar rep/sales and find out the real reason if any, why you cant run gas in a diesel and vise versa. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I would but I just spent $11.62 buying a f*%k that I plan to use in another thread. Cool So I have none for here.

Post some pics Dave, I cant follow all this word stuff.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Dan I have to say I do like your line of adventurous thinking!

I believe that on the Espars (and probably therefore, the copies) the pump is the same part for diesel or gas and the difference is some kind of adjustment to the pump for how much is metered. In fact, I believe I even saw some marking on the pump saying something about both diesel and benzine. I would suggest someone do more research on this, though.

I guess the thing I'd worry about is the ease of gasoline igniting compared with diesel and therefore that somehow messing up the "timing" of everything and potentially creating an explosive situation.

Perhaps one could do some more research on what other differences there may be and could swap out just those parts.

Seems wise to do some good testing prior to mounting on the Bus to find out how it will work.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Im still waiting for one of you rocket scientists to call a Espar rep/sales and find out the real reason if any, why you cant run gas in a diesel and vise versa. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I would but I just spent $11.62 buying a f*%k that I plan to use in another thread. Cool So I have none for here.

Post some pics Dave, I cant follow all this word stuff.

Don't worry, I will! I just don't have pics to post quite yet. I've got to wait until the extra parts come in, and I have some time to actually work on it.

Until that happens, it is just a combo of thought exercises and dreaming.

As far as that goes--Thoughts on where to mount the thermostat/controller? I like the idea of being able to use it while driving, so something up front sure makes sense for that. Being a thermostat, it seems like for camping I can set the desired temp and leave it alone so I probably shoudln't need to touch it during camping.

And even if I did, it seems that it would be far easier to adjust the temp by getting out of bed and moving to the controller, than it would be to pull over and turn it on while driving. A remote control option could be done down the road, but I don't forsee that upgrade happening for some time.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

An on off switch for driving and a inline thermostat in the back for camping. Wink You should have a crude thermostat for it then you can buy a cabin air temp controlled unit for your sleeping area.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBERSPACHER-Airtronic-hea...Sw5cJay9uS

https://www.ebay.com/p/RVP-8330-3862-Coleman-Mach-...0005.m1851

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPtV_iX9GQ

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

I have an Eberspacher B1L (similar size & configuration). It is mounted under the bus between the main rails inside of the front right wheel rail. Using the existing heater set up allows for circulating the hot air. Both heaters can run together or separately.

I made a stainless steel ell shaped holder for the heater. It exhausts through a pipe just past the front left tire. The thermostat is mounted above the side cabinet in the back, so we can turn on the heater without getting out of bed.

Works great and heats up the bus fast and hot.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Mine came with a pretty nice thermostat controller that displays fault codes and all that. The little instruction book that came with it mentioned that some of them have an extra wire that can be used for a second on/off switch, but unfortunately mine wasn't one of those.

I'll do some digging around to see if there is another way to control it via a switch of some kind up front.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

I have a propex furnace in my ASI vanagaon and the thermostat is on a long protected cable. I place it on the counter by the driver.. I can reach it from the drivers seat and from the upper bunk..
but it can be moved to the back drivers side cabinet fairly easily as that's how long the cord is... though I still usually just manage it on the front counter..

the propex blows out under neath the extended lower bed so it's not directly on anyone but the dog on the floor.. and if it's cold out the floor gets alot of drafts from the poor door seals etc..

camped in low teens *f at the grand canyon north rim comfortably. ~8oooft
and at meuller state park in colorado at ~94ooft
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
WT, is your heater diesel or gasoline powered?

Mine is Gasoline powered. I ordered it a couple years ago from an AliExpress Vendor. It was marketed as Petrol and the accompanying documentation said Petrol in several places.

It runs, but not well. Backfires and blows itself out sometimes, makes soot, and doesn't sound great. When it blows itself out and it keeps pumping fuel for a minute or so then shuts down, so at least the flame sensor works I suppose. It puts out heat, and a few times I've been glad to have it, but I don't trust it to sleep with it on. I suspect that they didn't spend much time making it run correctly with the proper A/F ratio or make all the proper changes from the Diesel version. Of course, the vendor closed up shop. In general these Chinese vendors change names/locations every year, no recourse or warranty.

I'm actually kind of curious to run diesel through it and see if it runs better.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar D2 Heater Install in Late Westy Reply with quote

There is an enclosed box available for external mounting. Top comes off for servicing the heater. Saw it on the Butler site but Google will pull it up as well. Might be worth a look to see how to construct one to protect the heater under the bus.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/installation-accesso...0152-p1009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: