Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 Ltr Air cooled Vanagon Piston Ring Decision
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryvanDaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: 2.0 Ltr Air cooled Vanagon Piston Ring Decision Reply with quote

I have decided to try to just replace the piston rings in the cylinder that is dead. While I have the engine out should i also replace the heads with the new ones sold by busdepot.com? They are AMC heads (supposedly new and improved) Found here:

http://www.busdepot.com/071101351ac

Also, are the generic piston rings found at busdepot.com, the way to go for piston rings? I've read on the forums there are varying opinions on the best ones to go with. Piston rings found here:

http://www.busdepot.com/029198175br

Also, does anyone have experience with the deeper sump from busdepot helping their engine run cooler? Is that the best option?

http://www.busdepot.com/j14336

Jerry's always singing the Blues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Ltr Air cooled Vanagon Piston Ring Decision Reply with quote

I would suggest you do the cylinders and pistons at the same time. All the parts tend to just wear out together. Heads you’ll want a good shop to inspect, even new off the shelf parts.

Personally I use Jerry at NW connecting rod in Auburn WA, but there’s plenty of options. The bay forum has plenty of opinionated loud mouthed know it all keyboard warriors who will happily share their entire brain with you on the subject. Bay windows from 76-79 share many many parts so often the mechanics share machinists from 76-83 vans Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Ltr Air cooled Vanagon Piston Ring Decision Reply with quote

you would be well advised to replace all the piston rings, not just one cylinder, which i think is what Stu is getting at. find a set of grant or hastings regular old iron rings.
what has caused your "dead hole"? rings are usually not the first suspect. your old heads should be inspected and rebuilt if possible, of course by someone who knows how to inspect a T4 head. i have always been of the opinion that the original parts are far superior to any aftermarket bits.
the best option to keep your engine cool is to pay attention to your compression ratio prior to assembly and keep the engine well tuned once it's running. the sump you are looking at is for a T1 engine and will not fit yours. if you really need the assurance that your oil is running cool, then an external cooler is really your best option.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Ltr Air cooled Vanagon Piston Ring Decision Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of the piston that failed? You should have the cylinder checked for any wear, especially taper. Slapping the engine back together with minimal parts would be considered a temporary repair. If that is your intention, I would not sweat the ring brand.

I have seen two common 2.0 engine failures. I have seen the valve seats drop out of place and I have seen pistons actually melt down into the ring lands. These can usually be traced to excessive heat. The heat damage can come from too lean a mixture, too much ignition timing, lack of proper engine compartment sealing, and missing tin work to name a few things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: