Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tailgate and Brake light help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

I have been wiring my tailgate/brake lights today. When the headlights are switched off and I apply the the brakes the tailgate lights illuminate as expected. But if i turn the headlights on the tailgate lights are bright - as if the brakes have been applied. When i do apply the brakes the tailgate lights do not get any brighter.

The tailgate bulb has two terminals. I have a negative/earth wired to one and i have piggybacked the tailgate onto the brakelight terminal which are both connected to the other terminal. This is likely the issue but I can't see any other way.

Anyone got any ideas?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Is "tailgate" an autocorrect Iphoneism?, or a UK term for a car part we call something else in North America?, pickup trucks have tailgates on the rear end of the bed, some call the rear upper hatch a tailgate (the one with a window in it) as well here.

It might be picture time, sounds like you have some wires stirred up or incorrectly earthed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

first off.....what year bus?

second (which really doesn't matter) is it usa spec or euro spec?

3rd, even euro spec lights have a terminal riveted to the body of the tail light housing if we are talking early bay (early early has a sharp spike that dug into the body as ground...or earth as you may call it)

sounds to me that you grounded the parking light terminal, and have (by some crazy chance) both of the brighter filaments wired to the brake lights.

you need 3 wires on an early bay tail light, UNLESS it's euro spec.

USA= brake(doubles as turn signal) parking and ground

EURO= brake, parking, turn and ground

so, as BD mentions, we need pix to help

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Apologies for the confusion, I thought I was using terminology in keeping with the majority here on the Samba.

The bus us a 1972 but it was imported form the States to the UK. This is the diagram I am using:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_8_71.jpg

Looks like it is referred to as a 'tail' light. My units have a 4 connections:

1. One up top fo rhte turn signal/indicator
2/3. Two on the lower/bigger light
4. Another in the middle of the hosing that doesn't make contact with the prongs and bulbs.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Try this thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...0f4324d892

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Ok so looking at the thread above my tail light is the same as this but without the back-up lights:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So it looks as if the tail light bulb has the brake lights wired to one of the terminals and the main lights to the other terminal. I thought I had tried this setup and I seem to recall a fuse blowing when I tried the brakes.

What is the 3rd blake wire though?

Seems I should try again, likely something else caused the fuse to blow.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
What is the 3rd blake wire though?.

If you mean the one labelled "solid black (small connector)" it leads to the side marker light.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

So does the black wire "solid black (small connector) go to the backup light "solid black (big connector)"?
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
So does the black wire "solid black (small connector) go to the backup light "solid black (big connector)"?

No, the side marker connector goes to the connector on the brake/taillight. On original light units, there was one large male terminal (red/black wire) and a similarly-sized "connector" that was actually two narrow male terminals. On replacement units, there are just two large connectors. I think that they used to be called 5-amp and 15-amp spade terminals (digging way back in my memory now...) in the UK, before the description changed to mm.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

No, it won't fit, "small connector" is those skinny spades like you find on the dash light sockets. I have no idea why the wire to the side marker is black, it should be grey/red or grey/black, or even just grey, some color similar to the tail light circuit that connects to the other tab on the same terminal.

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Spacebicuit. I just loaded up a bunch of photos of my 72 bus tail light replacement in my gallery. The pictures are the original set up before replacement. I used the Arteb Brazilian VW replacement buckets. The Arteb buckets only have the two large terminals for the “Brake and tail light”. Since mine has the two small spades I just split the large terminal post enough to accept the two small spades. The Arteb buckets and lenses still look new 4 years later.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Spacebicuit. I just loaded up a bunch of photos of my 72 bus tail light replacement in my gallery

Ok so the tailight and the brake light go to one each of the bulb with two terminal connections.

Where does the backup/reversing light come from, is there a switch in the engine compartment or is it located up front by the brake switches?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

The tail/brake light is a single bulb with dual filaments, the brake filament is higher wattage then the tail, mix up the wires and you'll never see the brake light when the tail lights are on.
The backup lights are controlled by a switch on the nosecone of the transmission, a black wire runs from coil terminal #15 through an inline fuse holder laying to the left of the engine and then on up to the switch, then another black wire leads back to the lights.

Слава Україні!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Post up some pictures of the tail lights you have installed on your Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

I just installed a third brake light and have an electrical oddity. I connected its positive wire to the left brake light terminal with a piggy back connector. Its ground wire is simply screwed into the body. When I engage the brake pedal, the right side brake light and the 3rd brake light come on, but the left brake light (from which the 3rd feeds off of) tuns off! And even more odd, the left backup light comes on! What's going on?

The driving lights are on (excuse the missing left lens)

Brake pedal depressed- WTF?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

At least part of the problem is going to be a bad ground. Can't say about any wiring you added.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Checked the ground, it is solid.

So I assumed the 3rd is "robbing" the left brake light of power, so today I tried something else. I connected the 3rd to BOTH brake lights by means of a cross connection between them, thinking now the right will share some of its power too.

The result was nearly the same - the left brake light (to which the 3rd is connected directly) still goes out, but this time BOTH back up lights came on dimly!

Can anyone suggest where is the right place from which to power the 3rd brake light? Obviously using the brake lights is a no no.

Thanks

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

That ground isn't as "solid" as you think, or the bulb shell isn't making good contact inside the socket, there's nothing wrong with tapping the brake light circuit, you disturbed something while you were F'ng around in there.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

Your problem screams a Bad Ground. I would remove the left tail light assembly and polish all the connections and bulb sockets to bare metal and treat them with dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion. I would also replace the ends on the ground wire or make a new ground wire to replace the existing one and make sure the ground connection is shiny metal as well.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailgate and Brake light help Reply with quote

You have to understand that electricity seeks the ground with the least resistance. So while you may have continuity to ground, it doesn't tell you the resistance and current capacity.. So what can happen is the electricity seeks a better ground through the filaments of one of the other bulbs to IT'S ground, completing the circuit, and lighting another bulb in the process.

So as suggested, remove, clean, and tighten all grounds in the lamp assembly. Next make sure the positive terminals where the bulb connects aren't bent in a say that they short, providing yet another alternate ground path.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: