Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clamps for the manifold boots
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

I have the pleasure of replacing my manifold boots. There are no clamps on there now. given that everyone insists on using OG clamps on the fuel side of the system, is there any need to buy exotic clamps for the manifold boots, or just go with Ace Hardware $2 hose clamps?

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

Are we discussing a fuel injected bus?, no clamps on the manifold boots on those.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

What’s the set up you dealing with? I got some opinions on boots.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

77 westy. everything else made of rubber has been replaced, and needed it. I have all the parts, but I could not find the clamps listed anywhere.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

Because they don't exist, most vacuum related hoses on L-jet are unclamped to relieve pressure in the event of a backfire, clamp them all up tight and the AFM flap becomes a single use fuse Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

As stated they were not used from the factory.....But I noticed years ago Jake put them on one of his turn key engines. If you decide to put clamps on them my suggestion is the Oetiker clamps from Bel-metric with the rolled edges like the fuel line clamps.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

Tie wraps work
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clamps for the manifold boots Reply with quote

Aeromech is correct...tie wraps "work". I clamp ALL runner boots. Have been since the late 80s. This is one of the most insidious vacuum leak spots. Typically theu either do not leak ar,start up....until everything heats up....or they leak at,start up and either seal up or change leak characteristics once everything warms up and expands.

A carecul process of installing helps. I push them back on the runners until about 3/8" to 1/2" of runner is sticking out. Install runners and manifolds. Run a thin smear of high temp , oul resistant RTV around that exposed 1/2". Push the runner boots onto the manifild nipple....firmly...twisting slightly as you go to spread the RTV evenly. Then clamp the runner side of the boot so it cannot back or slip off the nipple on the plenum. Let it dry completely. Really only the runner side "needs" to be clamped if you do a careful install like this.

Just because the factory did not clamp these does not mean they are not BETTER with clamps. They didn't clamp most of the vacuum lines either...and virtually all of those leak with age and heat shrinkage. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: