Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Well, it didn't happen the first try but after figuring out that the TDC mark on the crank pulley was wrong, I repositioned the cam, crank and dizzy to the Kennedy TDC mark and it fired right up. Only one wiring error, which I caught before trying to start it, no trouble codes, lifters quieted down fairly quick and idle improved. (system adapted)

16 MB 20" video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Au5sZoc3VBwgubdv7

Thanks for all the help!

Hopefully, my custom power steering bracket etc. will work out but for now, need to remove and wrap up the harness and "properly" hang the temporary exhaust.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Take a bow

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Oh what a feeling - congrats Mr!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Take a bow

"Thud" Wink

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Oh what a feeling - congrats Mr!

Thank you!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Hi folks.

. . . and "properly" hang the temporary exhaust.

Neil.

If at all possible, do not hang your exhaust from anything other than the engine itself. It's amazing to see how much it will move when starting it up. Also, rubber isolating hangers will still transfer vibrations to the body if you attach them there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Hi folks.

. . . and "properly" hang the temporary exhaust.

Neil.

If at all possible, do not hang your exhaust from anything other than the engine itself. It's amazing to see how much it will move when starting it up. Also, rubber isolating hangers will still transfer vibrations to the body if you attach them there.

Thanks. Ya, I didn't word that well. I meant I need to hang the current temporary exhaust so it at least doesn't fall off. Nothing fancy. The temporary exhaust is from the "diesel" parts donor engine; Mk2 toilet bowl, heinous looking right angle departure downpipe, short pipe to a large oval muffler. Magnaflow I think.

I'm undecided at this point but am leaning towards mounting the exhaust from the body. For sure though I'll install a cat and quieter muffler probably the WBX 2.1 and cat I have on hand. And, I'll use the toilet bowl manifold/down pipe. Probably a flex bushing too.

Not looking to eke out every horse just want reliable, no cracks. BTDT with my '81. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Hi Neil
Great to see the progress. It always feels good to hit a milestone. I’ve always had my muffler hung off the engine, but this time I’ve tried hanging it off the body. We will see how I feel about it in a couple of months. You may see it hung back off the engine if I don’t like it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Hi Neil
Great to see the progress. It always feels good to hit a milestone. I’ve always had my muffler hung off the engine, but this time I’ve tried hanging it off the body. We will see how I feel about it in a couple of months. You may see it hung back off the engine if I don’t like it.

Thanks John. And thanks for the reminder re: your old exhaust. It's one of two "toilet bowl" designs I'm using for a longevity benchmark. We'll see how the power feels (compared to my '81 with ABA) running the Digifant manifold and smaller single downpipe. I think I have all the diesel exhaust mount parts including some new Bosal isolators. We'll see. Got other "fish to fry" first.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

I'm a broken record, but I strongly believe that having a flex joint on both the Y and X axis cancels out vibrations and resonance along both planes. As far as I can tell, my home-built exhaust imparts no undue vibrational resonances and has a very minimal chance of cracking because there's so much give in the system. It probably would work this way whether the X axis was mounted to the engine or the body.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Congrats Neil.

Hey, can you give us a photographic overview of the install?

Cheers

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm a broken record, but I strongly believe that having a flex joint on both the Y and X axis cancels out vibrations and resonance along both planes. As far as I can tell, my home-built exhaust imparts no undue vibrational resonances and has a very minimal chance of cracking because there's so much give in the system. It probably would work this way whether the X axis was mounted to the engine or the body.

Well, I do have two flex joints lying around....

Theres so many factors. Cat? No cat. Turbo? No turbo. etc. Diesel engine? Gas? But thats just conjecture on my part. I don't know nearly enough to say either way. I slept through Physics and Algebra in high school. Wink

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Congrats Neil.

Hey, can you give us a photographic overview of the install?

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair. The link is buried in my sig but here it is:

https://tinyurl.com/yap5hpwt

It contains a lot of arcane stuff, it needs to be reorganized and some aspects are missing, but it should shed some light.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Well done, Neil!! Two for two. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Thank you Jake. Appreciated.

So far so good...... Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Wow, what a helluva project! Congratulations.

As one who has never even contemplated such a job, my question is:

Why is 50 degrees the magic number for slanting an engine?

Other than the oil pan and oil pump consideration why wouldn't any engine work flat on its side, if a water/air boxer can?

And if aircraft engines can work at any orientation, due to forced lubrication (dry sump?), why wouldn't a van engine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Wow, what a helluva project! Congratulations.

As one who has never even contemplated such a job, my question is:

Why is 50 degrees the magic number for slanting an engine?

Other than the oil pan and oil pump consideration why wouldn't any engine work flat on its side, if a water/air boxer can?

And if aircraft engines can work at any orientation, due to forced lubrication (dry sump?), why wouldn't a van engine?

Thanks for that.

Interesting question. I think that if the engine were turned further CCW one would run out of room between the driver side firewall and engine. And, as it is, I've read the with the engine at this angle, it can create *minor* issues with oil that eventually gathers in the PCV system. Not a real problem per se IMO. And do you think it's possible that oiling for the piston skirts would get hampered? Do the crank lobes bring oil up to the piston skirts? Just a totally WAG on that. I keep hearing/reading that some of the early ABA's had oil squirters for the piston skirts but have never seen one.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

So I got the temporary exhaust bolted up, put a screen over the MAF, drained and filled the power steering, installed the PS belt, took it for a quick boot up the driveway. Am thrilled to say that the PS does indeed "work" (it really is untested), even during a 4 point turn (pump loaded up), it didn't throw the belt, and the pump seems to work fine sounding pretty much like it did on the WBX. Power feels ok but I know the next step is to find or build an air filter box so I can seat the rings. No leaks or bad noises.... yet. (I'm such an optimist Haha. Wink )

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

Awesome news Neil ! Great to put a lot of energy into a longish term project and see it though. it is easy to lose steam when things don't go as quickly as envisioned, BTDT.

I am using the FAS exhaust hangers to the body that hang the muffler with 3 rubber exhaust bands and the stock TiiCo header has the flex joint before the cat.

I have 19,000kms on the exhaust system so far, no cracks.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: It Runs! 50º ABA in 1988 Vanagon Westy Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
Awesome news Neil ! Great to put a lot of energy into a longish term project and see it though. it is easy to lose steam when things don't go as quickly as envisioned, BTDT.

I am using the FAS exhaust hangers to the body that hang the muffler with 3 rubber exhaust bands and the stock TiiCo header has the flex joint before the cat.

I have 19,000kms on the exhaust system so far, no cracks.

Thanks very much John. Ya, this swap stretched on. Still got things to do but I might insure it and take it for a real drive. I really should rig up a heat shield between the giant oval Magnaflow muffler and engine belts.

Very very helpful info on exhaust. Ya, I'm still debating hanging exhaust off body vs the engine. At this point, I'm running a "toilet bowl" manifold. Pretty sure its an 1.8 8v RV code manifold.

You're running a WBX muffler?

A local hardware supplier carries large "U" brackets. If the exposed threads are long enough, they might work to rig up an off body mounting system for the exhaust. I haven't decided on where to locate the cat though.

I've learned a lot more doing this and can immediately see things I'd do differently.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: