Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Stroker Build
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

I had my engine case clearanced for a stroker crank... I have a 74mm counter weight crankshaft and I am wondering what size rods should use...I plan on using 88 thick wall stroker pistons
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

Where did you get 88 stroker pistons?

Probably didn't need to get your case stroker clearanced for a 74mm

For 74mm crank and "A" pistons, 5.325 rods make close to stock width.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Where did you get 88 stroker pistons?

Probably didn't need to get your case stroker clearanced for a 74mm

For 74mm crank and "A" pistons, 5.325 rods make close to stock width.

So i could probably go with a 76mm crank and 90.5s?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

If you go 76mm crank with 90.5 B or any B height piston, use 5.5" rods.

Here, check this handy dandy chart someone made up:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7523453

You still have to measure your parts, but this is a nice guide.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

yes do that unless you want more....go bigger bore...if you still want more than go with 82 stroke & 5.4 rod and piston size of your choice. I like big, they work less.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If you go 76mm crank with 90.5 B or any B height piston, use 5.5" rods.

Here, check this handy dandy chart someone made up:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7523453

You still have to measure your parts, but this is a nice guide.

Thank you very much!!!!!
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yes do that unless you want more....go bigger bore...if you still want more than go with 82 stroke & 5.4 rod and piston size of your choice. I like big, they work less.

My first stroker build I wanted to do something simple but not boring... your making me want to build bigger for sure Cool Cool Cool
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

Going bigger is a slippery slope but since you had your case stroker clearanced, you could drop in a 82mm crank..

It's a slippery, slippery slope indeed..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

it's all simple. the 82 with 5.4 rod is simple if your case is clearance it should be a drop in. and get chevy rod size crank, there smaller for more clearance and lighter too. my first vw build was my first vw I bought in a box ,I decided to change cranks due to how soft the oe cranks are.so since we were a scat dealer I just ordered a 78.8 crank and used the old used up 87 pistons that cam in the box. it was pretty simple.but probably not for the timid using "A" pistons with a 78.8 crank. that's not a drop in situation. I didn't want to put much $ in it as I didn't even know if I would want to drive it after I finished it....that was about 16 years ago..and the only car I own.I built it for mpg because my 454 ,4bbl, big cam,hig cr ,big vlaved 4 door 6 wheeled,gooseneck race car&47'race boat hauler was eating my ass up in fuel. dam I miss all those toys.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

Although more power isn't needed than a 74stroke with 88bore can provide for your bus to move around nicely if building a larger engine at least for me the big stumbling block becomes the case? It has to be opened up for 92's or 94's which weakens it, also it has to be a later case that had the 8mm studs, to open it up. I think my cases got 14mm inserts and I don't think they can be opened after they have been made so big.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
it's all simple. the 82 with 5.4 rod is simple if your case is clearance it should be a drop in. and get chevy rod size crank, there smaller for more clearance and lighter too. my first vw build was my first vw I bought in a box ,I decided to change cranks due to how soft the oe cranks are.so since we were a scat dealer I just ordered a 78.8 crank and used the old used up 87 pistons that cam in the box. it was pretty simple.but probably not for the timid using "A" pistons with a 78.8 crank. that's not a drop in situation. I didn't want to put much $ in it as I didn't even know if I would want to drive it after I finished it....that was about 16 years ago..and the only car I own.I built it for mpg because my 454 ,4bbl, big cam,hig cr ,big vlaved 4 door 6 wheeled,gooseneck race car&47'race boat hauler was eating my ass up in fuel. dam I miss all those toys.

I built a 1641cc for my 69 bug...87 pistons, single port heads, dual kadrons and engle 100 cam. It's a fun car to drive everyone scolded me for using 87mm pistons but I haven't had any heat issues

The stroker I'm building is for my 70 fastback...I'm hoping to get decent mpg but have the balls to blow a few doors in need be Laughing
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Although more power isn't needed than a 74stroke with 88bore can provide for your bus to move around nicely if building a larger engine at least for me the big stumbling block becomes the case? It has to be opened up for 92's or 94's which weakens it, also it has to be a later case that had the 8mm studs, to open it up. I think my cases got 14mm inserts and I don't think they can be opened after they have been made so big.

This engine is for my fastback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First Stroker Build Reply with quote

My engine is 2234, 84mm crank and double thick wall 92mm cylinders machined for 94mm cylinders. ...the 92's I'm using are thicker than stock cylinder walls. ..if you are going to go bigger than make sure you build it to last...good luck with your stroker build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: