Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

I have the frames (repro) for the driver and passenger door windows for a bd 1951 and wonder if the glass and hardware can be found ready-to-use off-the-shelf.

I need the hardware, i.e. the correct handles for the ventilation and for the sliding window. Repro, NOS or used would do.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965* 21W Samba (MCode 430 114) - 51 BD Standard Microbus (Type 22A. M62) - 1967 Westfalia pop-top (SOLD)
* 1965 according to chassie number but regged as 1964
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

you can get the sliding window butterfly latch from Argentina from Splitpartsunlimited I think. I'll look and see if that is the correct user name. But the vent wing handle/latch I've only seen nos or used. I'm looking for a set myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=701140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this info, will consult with the 'Secretary of Finance' at home Wink

What about the glass, did you have it already? I have just the frame (repro) and need to buy the glass as well. Is it available out there or is best to order it new? In that case I would need the measures since it must be perforated for the latches.

1965* 21W Samba (MCode 430 114) - 51 BD Standard Microbus (Type 22A. M62) - 1967 Westfalia pop-top (SOLD)
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

Is there a difference, if any, in the 2 large lateral glasses of the door window frame between barndoor and later (after march 55) split window buses?

At the moment I have a late (after march 55) split window bus model of the door frame in my 1951 barndoor.
I will replace it with the correct early bd 'piano hinge' frame. I have solved the 'piano hinge' glass so my query does not refer to that one.

Will the 2 lateral large glasses just fit from the later frame to the early bd correct 'piano hinge' frame (with exception of the catch)? Is it perhaps a difference in the hole made in the glass to fit the catches?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PS: Borrowed pic that shows a late bd sorry for that.

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

Darren Franklin in the UK can probably help you with brand new glass

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1898158

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 driver and passenger door glass and hardware Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Darren Franklin in the UK can probably help you with brand new glass

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1898158

I am trying to conclude if I NEED at all the 2 lateral large glasses or if I can use the ones (later model) that I already have and put them in the bd frame.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: