Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

I wanted to give some ideas for anyone else using a CB Blackbox or any other Megasquirt/Programmable timing setup and wanting to keep a vintage look.

1. 61-64 Bosch Big Cap distributors are still pretty common, and can be bought for about $50 used.
2. Since they are Vacuum only, they have solid shaft, with no advance mechanism so they are perfect for the most accurate distributor choice.
3. Super easy to lock, as you can simply pull the vacuum diaphragm, and screw in a 3/8 brass plug. (simply advance the timing plate some, and screw in the plug and the plate will rest against it)
4. Since its a "big cap" it has larger gaps to discourage timing scatter.
5. Incredibly strong, and most of these have zero shaft play. After taking some of these apart, I can really appreciate the German quality in fit, and metal.
6. Cap, Rotor, Points, condenser, and paint will run you another $50. ( got Bosch everything off ebay)
7. For $100 and some rebuild time, you will have a super accurate distributor that will last forever.

This idea Came from Glenn(Mr. 010). Somewhere we were talking about blackboxes and he mentioned the big cap would be a great candidate with its solid shaft).
I went looking for a big cap and ran into a guy closing his shop and he made me a deal on 50 of them.(might as well build some more in the future right). This guy had these in his parts storage for 40+ years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled apart, stripped everything off. only left tag on. wired brushed then polished the distributor shaft.

Painted carefully in Satin Black VHT Engine Paint (resists chemicals and gas)

Everything is wire brushed, greased, shimmed, and put back together. New Bosch Points/condenser, and lubed with Super Lube.

You can see the brass plug, and the timing plate is resting against it with spring tension.

You can get Resister or Non-resistor rotors. One Non-resister is Standard GB-311 for example.

This is how it looks with no vacuum canister, and brass plug filling the hole:

All finished, spent a full day, but its my first one so wanted to take my time.

Black Caps are readily available too:

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Yeah, racers have been using that for years with the benefit of the larger cap and locked out.

Good to see you posting to remind people to use it with the Black Box.

How do you like the Black Box so far?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Looks nice, here's a vintage race car with a similar setup. but he's using a crank trigger and not points.

It would look for a more solid way to lock it. Maybe drill and tap a hold on the sleeve under the breaker plate and use a Allen set screw to lock it down.

Still very cool.

BTW... it will take 50 years to sell those cores. They are not very popular.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Two issues for me, will the big body clear my dds center pull and does this distributor retard #3.

Dan
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Looks nice, here's a vintage race car with a similar setup. but he's using a crank trigger and not points.

It would look for a more solid way to lock it. Maybe drill and tap a hold on the sleeve under the breaker plate and use a Allen set screw to lock it down.

Still very cool.

BTW... it will take 50 years to sell those cores. They are not very popular.
lol that is funny! I was thinking the same thing. Unless someone is looking for one for the same purpose, its "pointless".

Good idea for the allen hold down screw!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Yeah, racers have been using that for years with the benefit of the larger cap and locked out.

Good to see you posting to remind people to use it with the Black Box.

How do you like the Black Box so far?

I ran out of time this weekend. Need to pull the carbs and tap for vacuum, and wire in the black box. I put points in my 009 so i can drive it to work.

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Anyone know if these distributors retards #3 ?

Would consider running one with my black box
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

Im curious too!

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Quote:

I would think you could see that on a distributor tester. No?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:

I would think you could see that on a distributor tester. No?

Yes it does.

Kinda hard to see since 3* is 1.5* at the distributor and the lines on the machine are fairly close.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Im curious too!

I am wondering... since the #3 lobe is retarded a few degrees will that confuse the black box programming? Just thinking out loud here. I have never used the programmable ignition before but I know I will eventually

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

I dont know if the black box can recognize #3 being retarded, but I believe it would compensate as if all 4 lobes were equal.

Its not going to get "confused"
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Quote:
wo issues for me, will the big body clear my dds center pull and does this distributor retard #3.

Acording to Tasb -

On the Beetle, Ghia and Bus; the only distributors that had #3 lobe retarded were the 113 905 205 M and T.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

If anyone else doesnt want to use the vacuum adapter plates for their CB Black box, here is a idea. Yesterday I drilled and tapped the manifolds for 1/8-27 pipe thread and used 1/4 hose X 1/8 -90 degree brass elbows.

Then used 1/4 brass tee with the tight fitting German fuel line

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

How do you like the Black Box?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:
wo issues for me, will the big body clear my dds center pull and does this distributor retard #3.

Acording to Tasb -

On the Beetle, Ghia and Bus; the only distributors that had #3 lobe retarded were the 113 905 205 M and T.

So what is the truth? We have two distributor guys saying the opposite thing. Dan
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Quote:
So what is the truth? We have two distributor guys saying the opposite thing. Dan

I read Glenn's comment to mean that, yes you can see if #3 was retarded on the tester, not that it is.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

I tested the one I have in stock and 3 were exactly 90* apart and one was 1.5* retarded.

1.5* (distributor speed) = 3* (engine speed).

The degree lines are close so 1-1/2 lines is a bit hard to see.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How do you like the Black Box?

I did the Distributor build 2 weeks ago, I tapped the manifolds and reinstalled everything last weekend, and will connect the black box this Friday. I will take most the day to make sure all the factory timing tables/settings are good, and verify at the crank with a timing light that its doing as it should.

In June, I will have another engine on the Dyno. I will run Black box with the big cap, then MSD Distributor with MSD box, and 009/Points by itself all in the same day. Just for fun Very Happy Idea

norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked-Out Bosch Big Cap Distributor for CB Black Box/MegaSquirt Reply with quote

Really looking forward to your findings Jeff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: