Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fourteen States in Seven Weeks?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Good stuff and glad to see you helping out so many. Now can you please explain the clear distributor cap? Is that German? Wink
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Good stuff and glad to see you helping out so many. Now can you please explain the clear distributor cap? Is that German? Wink

Thanks for noticing! It is the finest EMPI quality, and an excellent useful tool for teaching neophytes about spark advance and distributor function. If I was a betting man, I would bet that it’s not made in Germany... Laughing I have a perfect dark brown original cap waiting in the rear hatch behind the spare tire for WHEN it blows up. Smile

Got an original shortie coil too, for when the engine decides to retire some time in 2026.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That your pee bottle? Maybe should check with a doc about the stuff in the bottom.

Very Happy

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

That your pee bottle? Maybe should check with a doc about the stuff in the bottom.

Very Happy

I think it’s one of Stuart’s he found on the side of the road Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

damn that pulley is straight purple

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Excellent update Robbie. Looks like a good, productive trip so far. I'm enjoying the pics of the road, the stories and what appears to be satisfied customers. Us boring 9-5ers enjoy these updates.

Now, that clear distributor cap... Sick

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Now, that clear distributor cap... Sick

Since the hack I bought my distributor from didn’t put a cap and rotor on. I’m going with a fancy clear cap like Robbie. If it’s good enough for him. It must be better for me. Wink Laughing should probably just go Pertronix while I’m at it. Dude I got it from put OEM German points and condenser in it. Probably better to go with new technology Twisted Evil

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

You goin’ with a clear Pertronix to go under that cap?

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Very Happy

i bet that hurt coming out
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Robbie, what's your backyard look like this week?

Come on, man! It's been raining tons here in WV and my bug is down for the transmission rebuild- I need some vicarious ACVW-ing Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Thanks for the kick in the butt about posting more. I’m in Wisconsin and taking my first day off since early May tomorrow. 🤘 Pictures from my phone here- camera pictures to come next week.

I spent a few days in Illinois, one in Chicago getting this bus running on four cylinders with brake lights:

I HATE these Hankook Kinergy tires, rated at 1700+ pounds that can’t take a side wind, pothole, or dirt road. For sale.

I replaced an alternator in a Best Western last week on a hot engine.

The Midwest has been most excellent to me these last few days in camping. arrangements and food.

I had two beers, and learned to spring-stilt in Urbana; didn’t die!

Spent a few days in Wild Rose and then a few hours in Wautoma, my new favorite small town.

Drove my favorite non-bus Volkswagen in the world today, a Squareback with like 12 miles on it, and took no pictures.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Buddy got to sleep in the barn out of the cold. Good going. At least with the tin roof you don't miss the pitter patter, when it rains.
Be safe
Tcash
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Lookin' good Robbie!

I see you're keeping Buddy clean and shiny too

Wax those shock absorbers lately?? Wouldn't want you to fall behind on your maintenance schedule Wink
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Just got this:
"I'm out of brushes lol. 70 miles to go, need headlights tho..."

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Time to stop at a flaps, buy a battery and return it after you get there. Even if just for store credit, you'll use it eventually.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

He's fine, you don't really need a battery.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Robbie - I burned up a generator between Solvang and Anaheim in my 1971 38 Amp when the brushes went bad and I didn't have a pair. Consider stopping at the nearest city until dawn. A set of brushes is cheaper than a generator.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Time to stop at a flaps, buy a battery and return it after you get there. Even if just for store credit, you'll use it eventually.

Battery is fine! It’s the Costco Wonder Battery from 2010 or 2011 that has been shorted, killed, run without a positive lead straight off my old alternator, and is consistently asked to run my interior lights for days at a time without charge. I will rebuild it when it expires. (Is that even possible?)

Steve- I usually carry two sets of spares, but I gave one set to Colin which got him to the eclipse last year, and the new set I installed in Tulsa a few weeks ago has one dead brush and one brand new brush... I pulled them both, along with the right headlight fuse, and made it to a safe house for the night. I think it was a dud, because it’s partner is perfect and the commutator is clean and round enough to avoid any detection of radial runout with my dial on the good brush end. (If you took the pass, I hope you stopped at Cold Spring Tavern for some folk music and BBQ!)

Plus, my safe house has a nice Karmann Ghia that I just scarfed the brushes off of. Cool

Robbie

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

I suggested the battery in case yours ran outa juice you could swap it and get another 200-300 miles
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I suggested the battery in case yours ran outa juice you could swap it and get another 200-300 miles

Totally. I’ve been toying at the idea of a blue Optima or equivalent when this one gives up since 2012...

Currently have a bent rim, getting swapped out with my spare tire/rim from 1994. Hopefully being old enough to drink doesn’t mean I’ll be swerving on that new old rim anytime soon.

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: