Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fourteen States in Seven Weeks?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Dude this is sounding more and more like one of my trips man. Bent rim, bad generator brushes a few times, keys getting stuck in the ignition...oh wait.

Short of catching fire you’re quickly following my lead. Don’t do that. Bad idea.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the picture of Buddy with a windshield popped out then.

Robbie, I can pull some brushes out of my spare 30a (not one of my 6 38a gens) and mail them out. Just a thought

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

In theory you should get four hours running with battery and lights on - in practice Ill go for 2 hours max
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Does getting the bent rim swapped give time for one of your famous "Yank and Paint" sessions? Laughing

On a serious note, Buddy has truly ran for quite sometime it seems without much serious maintenance. Don't worry too much, Robbie. A couple things always go out together. I have all the confidence in the world you'll have it sorted out in short order and soon enough you'll be flying down the road as usual.

I'll be watching for the next chapter Smile
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
In theory you should get four hours running with battery and lights on - in practice Ill go for 2 hours max

I got a solid hour and a half with one headlight, Kettering ignition, two taillights, an oil pressure gauge, and NOTHING else running. Battery was resting at 11.4 volts when I pulled into Rosemount. Trickle charged it overnight just in case, but the Dowell Family Honorary Generator Brushes are charging nicely!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Reminds me of a time years ago where I limped a VW Corrado home from Colorado on just battery power.

I had driven out to Denver to sell cinnamon roasted nuts at the Bass Pro Shop. Had trailer problems on the way there which occupied much of the weekend and was very frustrating.

So we left Sunday evening for a cannonball run back to Manhattan because I had a job interview in the morning.

Somewhere in Eastern Colorado the serpentine belt broke, which meant no supercharger, no AC, and no alternator. I decided I was not willing to be broke down overnight, so after filling with gas we push started the car and were off. I believe that was also when I pulled a headlight fuse.

Made it to within 70 miles of Hayes KS, got an AAA tow to the Hayes WalMart where I purchased a large marine battery. I used the cigarette lighter harness for a power inverter to backfeed voltage in to the car from the passenger seat footwell.

With another push start, we juuussstt barely made it to Manhattan at about 5:30 in the morning. The car was losing power as I got into town from the battery running low.

With a new serpentine belt and a drive to Kansas City with the battery still plugged to the cigarette lighter, it was totally returnable.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Quote:
it was totally returnable.

seems like bragging about taking advantage of another person's good will, and the next person gets a used battery too. Am I reading this right?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
it was totally returnable.

seems like bragging about taking advantage of another person's good will, and the next person gets a used battery too. Am I reading this right?

Actually, yes you are and 11-odd years later that is the one part of the story I am not proud of.

They did actually put the battery on some kind of tester to make sure it was fine before accepting the return, so at the time I did feel OK with knowing the battery wasn't damaged. But now I would not feel comfortable returning it because I did get the needed use out of it, as now I'm older and (hopefully) more mature and realize that there was deception involved to some degree because I probably didn't tell them the full story when asking for a return.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I got a solid hour and a half with one headlight, Kettering ignition, two taillights, an oil pressure gauge, and NOTHING else running. Battery was resting at 11.4 volts when I pulled into Rosemount. Trickle charged it overnight just in case, but the Dowell Family Honorary Generator Brushes are charging nicely!

Robbie

Weird that your having brush issues with both NOS and new.

I bought a new Mexican made Bosch generator a few years ago. It had charging light issues frequently right after installation. Drove me mad. I finally yanked the brushes and springs out of it. I compared them to original brushes and springs from a good original core VW Bosch generator I had. The used brushes were still like new. I installed the much better quality used springs and the used brushes and never had an issue again.

You have to love "new" parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

There have been reports of the aftermarket brushes failing, surprised to hear the NOS brush failed.

For those of you that don't know. Do not use Emery cloth or sandpaper to polish the commutator.
A commutator stone is the correct tool.
https://www.google.com/search?q=commutator+stone&a...ent=safari
Or Garnet paper
https://www.helwigcarbon.com/products/garnett-commutator-papers.html

In a pinch you can use an eraser. But clean with a cleaning stone and alcohol as soon as posible.

Try bedding in the brushes or chamfering the edges.

Good luck
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Commutator stone, huh? We's got's those.

And a Yank N' Paint? Got that too! Read on…

Camped in a barn, with permission of course!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I left Illinois and found Tom's '68 bus pulled from a junkyard with no wheels, rear drums, or front right drum for that matter. No seats, engine tin, fuel lines, gas, or distributor either. It drove enough by lunch time for me to back it into the driveway on fast idle… forgot to hook up the accelerator cable!

Found that the '68 Westy rims and tires stopped a horrendous vibration in my car when braking heavily, lightly, or anything in between, really… That comes later though, as I had to return the Westy rims.

I was hit in the head with a headliner for the first time, at around 30mph with no seats, license plates, or glass behind the louvered windows…

Then I booked it out of Wisconsin for Minnesota, and marveled at the Mississippi River Valley… A whopping 1,200 foot climb in fourth gear, floored for the first time on an interstate since the Ozarks!

Of course, the petulant rain, darkness, and boredom were hell on my genuine Bosch generator brushes and I was greeted with The Light again.

Edit: WTF I haven't had a gas gauge in 12 states, and now it shows up?? I didn't even see it that night!

Rules for driving with The Light on:
- Immediately turn on the heat and CHT gauge.
- No heat? Shut it down and coast off. Replace belt.
- Feel heat? Good! Your CHT gauge is now your belt light, and you have approximately three hours to your safe house for the night. Pull JTauxe Comemmorative Fuse Cover, see #5 controls right side low beam, and pull that fuse.
- Let off gas because you're going 70 in a 65 zone with no belt warning light…
- Unplug phone charger, turn off tunes, and hope.
- Arrive to safe house with battery in the low 11 volt range, and scarf brushes off a Ghia.

Crap, what about that brake pedal shudder though? It's pulsing so hard that my steering box is knocking with every pulse. Goodbye box and savings account, I guess… (Snagged a spare box in Wisconsin by chance last week! Cool )

Bosch brushes don't look good:

Commutator Stone seems to work pretty well on brushes too!

But what about the clunk?

Discount Tire in Eagan, Minnesota really hit the game winner with an old cone in a dusty box somewhere in the back room. Punk kid with bleached hair and a nonchalant attitude totally shrugged it off like every kid his age goes above and beyond to Really help out rushed bus owners on their 2-hour lunch break. Very Happy

Check out that spare rim though! It hasn't seen a lug nut in my ownership!

Borrowed a car made entirely out of air conditioning and blind spots…

The look of that rim was… well… you got your Yank 'N Paint right here!

Drove right into a rainstorm through downtown Minneapolis on what would have been Prince's 60th birthday. Cranked up some '1999' and made it out to see the sun set.

Make sure you take the time to spend nights like this, even on a deadline. We don't get too many of these, I think.

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

This is becoming an appropriate road trip in a vw bus. A brutal buddy adventure, instead of a brutal Brutis adventure. Laughing you just need something to go wrong roughly every day from here on out, or at least 50% of the days.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

That reminds me!
Balancer adapter made out of a 69 front drum
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/213950.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/213951.jpg

For the custom
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1476281
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
This is becoming an appropriate road trip in a VW Bus

Laughing Cool

It has been more than half a decade since I have had two issues in 24 hours with Buddy. Soooooo not appropriate!! But like always, we will return home with a car in better shape than when we left.

It is nice once again to have a car that behaves appropriately relative to the care it receives.

Tcash, thanks for that link. I got the rough measurements from DC’s ancient cone this afternoon, and I’m going to try to befriend my neighbor with a lathe.

And yes I waxed the Konis. On TWO buses today nonetheless!
Robbie
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Nice detailed work. Did you leave your client with a set of Koni
Koozies Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Love the playing card trick on the rims.

Too much information on waxing things
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
This is becoming an appropriate road trip in a VW Bus

Laughing Cool

It has been more than half a decade since I have had two issues in 24 hours with Buddy. Soooooo not appropriate!! But like always, we will return home with a car in better shape than when we left.

It is nice once again to have a car that behaves appropriately relative to the care it receives.

Tcash, thanks for that link. I got the rough measurements from DC’s ancient cone this afternoon, and I’m going to try to befriend my neighbor with a lathe.

Robbie

hahaha, that's beautiful. Buddy has been doing great in my opinion, even relative to the care he receives. He is almost 50yrs old after all.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Love the playing card trick on the rims.

Too much information on waxing things

Large alphabet, number or Uno cards work better for those of us with aging eye sight.
Remember what your dad told you Abscate.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

Don't think for a moment we're going to be playing Euchre with you any time soon. I know an elaborate card marking scheme dressed up as a bus maintenance story when I see one.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fourteen States in Seven Weeks? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

And a Yank N' Paint? Got that too! Read on…

Yank n' paint! Wooo!

Love me some good 'ol rattle canning in the afternoon. Something really satisfiying in making an old beat up item look shiny and new.

asiab3 wrote:

Make sure you take the time to spend nights like this, even on a deadline. We don't get too many of these, I think.

Robbie

Truer words never spoken my friend. We must take in and be present for good times like those.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: