Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beam clamp Bolts
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Hi folks swapping out my torsion beam for a coil over set up. The frame mead is cut off and I am using 1.5" tube and stamped steel beam clamps. last time I assembled it i used 3/8 grade 8 hardware for the clamps. Wanting to do this correctly What is the correct hardware for beam clamps ?
grade 8 bolt < flat washer <CLAMP >flat washer > lock washer > Grade 8 nut

Is that correct Nylock nut ? Stover nut ? Cap head bolt ?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Yes use lock washer or lock nut.... If using washer use SAE and not wrought washer, SAE has smaller od than wrought...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Lock washers don't do sh!t lol use a nylock nut if you can find some.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Loctite 271 or permatex high strength is also a good idea.

For the record, I tend to favor M10 bolts over 3/8. Everything else is metric, why mix and match standard and metric? Use class 12.9 M10 bolts. Overkill, but very strong.

I use a bolt with a flat washer Uber the head, a flat washer on the back with a Schnorr washer between the flat washer and nut, and a dab of 271/high strength on the nut. It won’t go anywhere.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:

Agreed as far as split lock washers, the star type are somewhat better. And YES to Nylock.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

L5wolvesf wrote:
Vanillagurilla wrote:

Agreed as far as split lock washers, the star type are somewhat better. And YES to Nylock.

Star type are ok as a anti vibration washer on smaller fasteners but the only locking washer that actually works is a nordlock. Bad part is there about $10 each and don't work well with high grade hardened bolts as they need something to bite into.
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Thanks for the input fellas. Applause Time to go hardware shopping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam clamp Bolts Reply with quote

Just so you know..
Those beam clamps are JUST FINE with Gr5 bolts. SAE flat washers for the smaller OD for better fit, or even maybe 5/16" SAE washers for an even smaller OD. Some 5/16" washers are made with oversize ID and will fit snug on 3/8" bolts.

I use nylock nuts. When prepping offroad race cars, I go for a belt & suspender sort of approach with nylock nuts AND Loc-Tite. I prefer fine thread bolts and nuts. But It's really not necessary. I've seen lots of play buggies that have run around for years with Gr2 bolts Rolling Eyes that haven't failed. I like to install those bolts with the head forward, so the thread are less likely to get damaged if you slam the front into a dirt bank, hole or rock.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: