Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Yandina setup, need advice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Installing Yandina setup, need advice Reply with quote

Yandina directions are vague. Need advice on what original wires I can use from the factory setup and minus the relay. Bentley is missing my yr camper, but pretty sure the batts are hooked together at the relay 30 and 87?
Blue to blue idiot lite?
Blk to ground
What about the red/blk stripe that's in the middle? What's that for?

Am I missing something? Can I use the those wires and make this simple?

Please show me your setup pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

First off, what year is your vanagon and is it a Westy? Makes a BIG difference. Also, what is you house battery? AGM, Gel or flooded? I see camper 80-81, 82-85, AND 86 up camping sections in the Bentley I have.

If you can't find it, let me know. Also, I get how the Yandina works. Blue wire references you give are not clear.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

84 joker full westy blue wire from relay connect to blue on yandina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

Howdy,

Do not assume that the blue wire from the stock relay connects to the blue wire on the Yandina. The Yandina blue wire is for sensing voltage overloads and switching the Yandina on/off based on overload conditions.

Tell us what type of Yandina you have bought.

Also, I don't agree that the directions are vague, though it is true that they don't include all the information they could with their products. Look at the Combiner 150 directions online for a really good reference... it has lots of good illustrations.

http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/C150Data.pdf

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

With a Yandina, don't connect the van's blue wire or red/black wire to it.

Mark
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

combiner 100 can I use the the main /aux batt factory wires? and leave the others disconnected?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

so basically I should leave the factory relay hooked up, and just wire in the combiner, and leave the green and blue
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

Read the instructions I linked in my prior post.

For the ground wire, the instructions say, "Although it carries very little current, 18 gauge wire or heavier should be used for mechanical stability."

For the positive side, the instructions say, "Use only 6 gauge cable. Use a minimum of 6 feet of wire total between the positive battery terminals to connect the combiner. DO NOT use a heavier gauge (lower gauge #) wire." The original relay wires are not 6 gauge and are inadequate.

These instructions imply that you are going to run new wires to the ground and both batteries, and that you will use wires that conform with the requirements set forth in the instructions.

Don't approach this installation with "simple" in mind. This is not a plug-and-play situation. I don't mean to sound condescending. Read the instructions and follow them carefully, or risk burning down your van. I would not use any of the original wires for the Yandina--the original system was not designed with the Yandina in mind.

kourt
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

The wires on an '84 are for the fridge relay. The relay, as you may know, is for running the fridge on 12V when the van is running.

This wiring, the bigger red one in the three wire bundle that has the blue and the red/black is only 2.5 sq mm, which is between 12 and 14 gauge, if I remember right. Yandina has you using 10 or bigger gauge to extend thieir wire to the second battery. So to be safe, you should run a 10 or 8 gauge wire and fuse it if it isn't well protected.

Edit - I assume you are doing a C100, which should be sufficient for a stock Vanagon or Subaru 2.2 alternator. Refer to the Yandina 150 wire sizes if you have a bigger alternator.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

If the stock wires he has under the driver seat include a 3 wire bundle meant for a fridge relay, he should NOT use any of those 3 wires for a Yandina. I thought he said he had wires left behind from a factory aux battery relay and if so he could use the battery power wire that connects to the starting battery.

Mark
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
If the stock wires he has under the driver seat include a 3 wire bundle meant for a fridge relay, he should NOT use any of those 3 wires for a Yandina. I thought he said he had wires left behind from a factory aux battery relay and if so he could use the battery power wire that connects to the starting battery.

Mark

AFAIK, all '83-85 campmobiles did not have the aux battery setups like -86 and later do.

I was confused on mine initially too.

Oh, and if I wasn''t clear enough, Joker do not repurpose any of those wires. Follow the Yandina instructions explicitly.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

so just to clear up the confusion, I'm leaving the relay wired up (as factory), adding a 10 gauge extension 6'? long to connect the batts , leaving the blue and green wires on the Yandina connected to nothing? does the extension wire really need to be 6' long for the combine r100? I'm running it under the carpet between the seats
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

Take a couple minutes to read the instructions for your Yandina model. Read every word from beginning to end. Then read it again, focusing on the parts that most apply to your installation.

http://www.defender.com/pdf/204578_Yandina.pdf

Mark

the joker wrote:
so just to clear up the confusion, I'm leaving the relay wired up (as factory), adding a 10 gauge extension 6'? long to connect the batts , leaving the blue and green wires on the Yandina connected to nothing? does the extension wire really need to be 6' long for the combine r100? I'm running it under the carpet between the seats
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

Installed the Yandina added a 6 ' wire 10 gauge to bridge gap to Aux works great thanks guys for the info
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

looking over the install have another question
currently have 2 hella neg disconnects one for each battery.

my question is the yandina is connected to a body ground with the relay , not looped into either disconnect, either switch actives the batteries ,should the yandina be looped into the aux disconnect? I planned on only disconnecting the batts when the van sits awhile or if I'm working on it?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

I would ground the Yandina to the vehicle body in your case.

Mark
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

That's where it is grounded, Thanks for the info
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

Hi, looking at the Yandina, it comes with 10 gauge wire to connect to the batteries. This doesn't seem like a big wire... Lots of custom install on the Samba with the Blue Seas ACR are done with 4 ga or even 2 ga...
Is 10 ga enough for the stock alternator ?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Yandina setup need advice someone BTDT Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Hi, looking at the Yandina, it comes with 10 gauge wire to connect to the batteries. This doesn't seem like a big wire... Lots of custom install on the Samba with the Blue Seas ACR are done with 4 ga or even 2 ga...
Is 10 ga enough for the stock alternator ?

I've been running one for 12 years without issue.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: