Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back to life - my 66 build begins.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

So now, it is no mystery where all the water was going from the leaking windshield corners......

I was hoping in the mythical, perfect world, this water was magically evaporating before it hit the bottom. That it became drinking water for unicorns haha

It’s funny though, because the bottom of the heater channels (outside the floor pan) are super nice looking

But like my mom taught me when looking for a girl, it’s whats on the inside that counts...

So it appears I’ll be needing funky green KlassicFab parts, fawk....

Well I thing I’ve had enough fun today. Thanks for looking

Dan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
a.wilson wrote:
Bookmarked!!

As others have mentioned.. outstanding photos and detail. The next time someone asks about front quarter replacement in the Paint/body forum -- they should be directed to this thread.

Like the work on the front windshield cowl! My '75 will need a little work in that area on the right-side.. and this will be motivation on how to approach it.

Thanks man, I really appreciate! Yeah, it’s weird, I couldn’t find much of anything online showing front quarter replacement

And I found nothing showing full cowl replacement

The one thing anybody using a repop quarter would need to do differently (than mine) is leaving the original support in place for the gas tank. All the replacement panels I’ve seen do not have this installed

If you run into any questions when you do your cowl let me know! I’ll be happy to help if I can

Your doing fine. Thanks for the tip about those gas tank support rail pieces.
Have learned a ton by this thread alone with the kind of tools and methods to use. Very Happy

oemwolf
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:
dodgerodder wrote:
a.wilson wrote:
Bookmarked!!

As others have mentioned.. outstanding photos and detail. The next time someone asks about front quarter replacement in the Paint/body forum -- they should be directed to this thread.

Like the work on the front windshield cowl! My '75 will need a little work in that area on the right-side.. and this will be motivation on how to approach it.

Thanks man, I really appreciate! Yeah, it’s weird, I couldn’t find much of anything online showing front quarter replacement

And I found nothing showing full cowl replacement

The one thing anybody using a repop quarter would need to do differently (than mine) is leaving the original support in place for the gas tank. All the replacement panels I’ve seen do not have this installed

If you run into any questions when you do your cowl let me know! I’ll be happy to help if I can

Your doing fine. Thanks for the tip about those gas tank support rail pieces.
Have learned a ton by this thread alone with the kind of tools and methods to use. Very Happy

I learn the same way! I see so many things that are different than my normal way, then I try it & love it

There’s so many different ways to do the same thing, good to have options

I attached a pic of the gas tank brace that the repop panels are missing, circled in red.

Hate to see somebody cut it off if their panel doesn’t have it haha!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dodgerodder on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Well had a little time to spend on the front quarter replacement.

The last piece of the original quarter to remove is under the seam in front of the door. So 1st step is opening the seam.

I started with the tool I made, and used to open the seam on the a pillars when I replaced the cowl

Tip looks like this

Start by prying the bottom of seam open, enough to slip the tool into.
Then gently hammer the tool straight up the seam.

This slightly opens the seam up

Tap until tool is all the way to top of seam. This slightly opens the seam.

Now I get to use a tool I made for the air hammer, to open the seam.
Basically a version of the vw seam opener you can find on the Samba, except I made mine to use in a air hammer

Cliff notes version. Started by cutting a piece of 3/8 steel into this

Tapered the tip to look like this

This part makes up the piece that slides under the seam to open it. Welded the rest of the pieces from scrap I had, looks like this when done

The long round part is just a handle to hold.

The pics make no sense on how it works. But start at the bottom

More to come!

Last edited by dodgerodder on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Works like this, made SUPER quick work of the seam!

Link

Opened it perfectly in about 1 minute! Edge of seam was 100% smooth when opened, no ripples at all. This would have taken forever to do without the tool, and would never be so smooth

You can see I sprayed Gibbs (kind of like wd40) into to seam, to help the die slide smoothly when i used the air hammer

Then just worked on grinding the spot welds that held the quarter panel lip to the inside of the seam

That section is all gone!

Last edited by dodgerodder on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Next I removed the front beam, to make fitting the new quarter way easier

Then I just HAD to slip the quarter on, to see how it fits....

Well it fits amazingly! This is obviously far from the final fit, but the NOS quarter fits soooooo nice!! Once I spend time fitting it will be really great I think!!

I literally did ZERO fitting here at all, just quickly slipped it in place

So I’ll work on fitting it for real next time, I'm pretty excited!!

Thanks for looking!
Dan

Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Nice! Really nice!
Oldschoolbmx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Incredible work!!! Thanks for taking the time to shoot and post the pics--truly inspiring!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

I agree. Fantastic photos and good tool making skills. I love the tool to open the seam. Hell, you could sell them!

This bug is lucky to have found a person to fix it so correctly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind words, it really means a lot!

I am honestly really surprised how well (and quickly) the seam opener tool worked!

That would have taken a while to do that long seam the normal way, and the opened edge is super straight & smooth

I’d have lots of hammer & dolly work to do if I pried it open

The only downside is, the tool is side specific. This will only work on the passenger side....

Would have to build a mirror image for the driver side.

Thank goodness I don’t have to do the driver side haha

If anybody needs to do their passenger side, I’d be happy to send it if the user pays shipping. Then just ship it back when you’re done

Thanks again for commenting, is appreciated

Dan
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Totally amazed at your skills, dodgerodder! What a great thread, keep up the amazing work.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

GELS wrote:
Totally amazed at your skills, dodgerodder! What a great thread, keep up the amazing work.

Thank you so much GELS, really appreciate your feedback.

Free time has been tough to find this week, but I hope to get some done this weekend

Thanks for watching!

Dan
Rhysos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Oh yes, impressive work as always! I assume you are keeping all of those flanges immaculate as you are planning on using a proper spot welder to join them back together (as opposed to plug welding with a MIG)?

I made a manual seam picking tool last week using your specifications and I must say that it works pretty well. My fingers are crossed that when I eventually fold it back over the steel will not split from overworking or stress fatigue. I am now the process of fabricating one of your ingenious fuel tank braces. I actually need to take off both front quarters on my car at the same time, but reckon that the brace will be very handy upon reassembly to bring things back into correct alignment.

Keep the quality content coming my good man! Cool
flc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
So next was to fix the butchered area of the lower firewall, where it meets the new quarter section.

The firewall was a warped mess from the previous gas welding repairs. So I bought a BBT firewall patch, & a BBT rear 66 apron.

SUPER nice quality! I highly recommend. Here's the firewall patch:

But I don't want to splice weld the engine seal channel. So I removed the seal channel from the firewall patch panel, & the car:

Removed the tar board spikes, since I'm smoothing out the firewall to paint:

I have a new piece of steel seal channel, that I will have to later form to the shape & curves on the firewall, then I'll spot weld to the firewall so it will look as it did from factory.

Hi really enjoyed your thread so far, do you have a link to the firewall patches? I’ve looked on bbt but failed to locate them
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Rhysos wrote:
Oh yes, impressive work as always! I assume you are keeping all of those flanges immaculate as you are planning on using a proper spot welder to join them back together (as opposed to plug welding with a MIG)?

I made a manual seam picking tool last week using your specifications and I must say that it works pretty well. My fingers are crossed that when I eventually fold it back over the steel will not split from overworking or stress fatigue. I am now the process of fabricating one of your ingenious fuel tank braces. I actually need to take off both front quarters on my car at the same time, but reckon that the brace will be very handy upon reassembly to bring things back into correct alignment.

Keep the quality content coming my good man! Cool

Hi there Rhysos,
Wow I’m so sorry for the slow response.

Mid August my Dad had unexpected open heart surgery. Thank God he is doing great afterwards, getting better each day.

It just amazed at what surgeons can do, literally a miracle

So soon I hope to get back to the VW, can’t wait

I am so happy that you got your seams open! I wouldn’t stress about ripping them when you close them. Just take your time. I had a junk donor that I opened & closed probably 4 times. The seam never split.

And I wasn’t really being careful with the donor. I think the key is just to take it slow, and close it gradually.

The brace worked out well in the gas tank area. Takes all the mystery out of keeping everything in place.

Thanks again Rhysos! Keep up your progress!

Dan
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

flc wrote:
dodgerodder wrote:
So next was to fix the butchered area of the lower firewall, where it meets the new quarter section.

The firewall was a warped mess from the previous gas welding repairs. So I bought a BBT firewall patch, & a BBT rear 66 apron.

But I don't want to splice weld the engine seal channel. So I removed the seal channel from the firewall patch panel, & the car:

I have a new piece of steel seal channel, that I will have to later form to the shape & curves on the firewall, then I'll spot weld to the firewall so it will look as it did from factory.

Hi really enjoyed your thread so far, do you have a link to the firewall patches? I’ve looked on bbt but failed to locate them

Hello!
I got mine from cip1, linked here:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D813%2D152%2DB

They list it as German made, I didn’t know who made it when I ordered it.
But when I got it there was a bbt label on it.

I just looked at bbt’s site and don’t see it listed, weird!

Cip1 does show them in stock, if that helps
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

flc wrote:
dodgerodder wrote:

Hello!
I got mine from cip1, linked here:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D813%2D152%2DB

They list it as German made, I didn’t know who made it when I ordered it.
But when I got it there was a bbt label on it.

I just looked at bbt’s site and don’t see it listed, weird!

Cip1 does show them in stock, if that helps. It really did fit nice! Nice clean stampings, no wrinkles. Really is a nice part

flc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Many thanks For the response, I’ve managed to find some in the uk,
Hookys panels £27 each 😎
Link for anyone this side of the pond
http://www.hookyspanelshop.com/our-panels/engine-b...etail.html
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

flc wrote:
Many thanks For the response, I’ve managed to find some in the uk,
Hookys panels £27 each 😎
Link for anyone this side of the pond
http://www.hookyspanelshop.com/our-panels/engine-b...etail.html

Wow I didn’t notice you were in England when I replied, sorry about that!

The Hooky’s panel should be great, everything I’ve ever used of theirs is super nice
Rhysos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Back to life - my 66 build begins..... Reply with quote

Pleased to hear that your dad is doing OK after his ordeal!

Looking forward to seeing your resto progress in due course Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: