Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steve's 87 Syncro project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

ARB 2500 awning. I used amazon ARB Thule mount brackets bolted to my Thule bars. Easy fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Steve- looks great!

Are you still going to do a poptop transplant? I know it's obvious, but just want to mention that you'll need to budget for a different brackets when/if you do...the RMW ones are working well for me now.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Yes it will be a Poptop. I'll deal with the rack setup when I restore the top.

Yesterday I installed the new Marco Mansi EV14 updated wbx fuel injectors. I'm very happy with the performance increase and smoother running. The engine pulls easier from 4 to 5 k RPMs. It idles smoother. More mid range get up.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Got the new 52mm (stock is 50mm) Gowesty TB. Excited to give this a try. My Tencent vacuum switching module died so the new throttle switch became a necessity.

onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Interested to hear about any improvements from the TB. Was looking back at the exhaust from Vintage Speed....on almost every Vanagon with the donut gasket exhaust i can hear what sounds like a metallic rattle in that area like bb's in the collector. I've always assumed it was the small leaks at the donut I can't get rid of and that may affect the mixture reading at the O2. Did you notice anything pre or post install?
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

No rattles or exhaust noises. I did put a new muffler on recently because I had a loose baffle in my old one. I've also had a converter rattle loose and become partially blocked inside.

When I need a new converter I will weld a 3 bolt flange on to match the vintage speed pipe. Right now I centered the converter side "donut" flange on the flat flange of the vintage speed pipe. I used high temp rtv exhaust sealant. Kept everything centered and tightened it up. Its been holding and not leaking for a couple months. It is a small edge mated to the flat flange so I wasn't sure if it would seal.

I recently welded an extra o2 bung into the pipe so I can hook up a wideband and monitor air fuel ratios.

I'll report back how new throttle body feels and fits.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Installed the new throttle body. It's nice having a reliable/consistent throttle switch. Their idle adjustment was quite close out of the box I closed it down 1 turn to my liking.
The pedal feel is a little different than before (as expected). I shortened the helper spring a small amount to add some tension. This is suggested in the gowesty instructions. It has a lighter throttle control feel right off idle, and stiffer at the extreme wide open.

The 52mm size vs stock 50mm seems to help a bit up top breathing.
Throttle plate area calculations of stock vs gowesty
25mm^2xPi = 1962.5 mm^2
26mm^2xPi = 2122.6 mm^2
The new throttle plate has 8 percent more area.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

How's the TPS working on cold mornings? Mine sticks on the GW TB I bought. Idle doesn't really drop between shifts until the van is warmed up.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Perfect so far but it's only been down to high 30s this early in the season.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I am testing out the Techtonic Tuning remapped digifant ECU. I like it. Smoother trailing throttle / decell / return to idle. Little better mid and top end too. Reminder I'm running a 2316 with ratio rockers, cam, compression, Marco injectors, and a Vintage speed merged 2 into 1. Results may vary.

s
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

New BFG 215/70R16 five of them. $1200 bucks for tires OUCHY.

s
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

another

Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I just installed the tectronics chip in my 2.1 waterboxer with Marco"s 1.25 rockers and injectors. I too like it .As you you said " Smoother trailing throttle / decell / return to idle. Little better mid and top end too."

Tim
87 westy weekender
2.1 WBX
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Looking sweet with new shoes! Smile

ready to update lighting yet? I sent you a text Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

My new go westy throttle body and switch are acting up. The switch doesn't activate at idle consistently. It worked good the first month. I'm going to pull it and try adjusting it so the switch closes at idle more assuredly. PITA.

I got a second set of CLK alloys for Christmas. I'm having some Cooper studded winter tires mounted this weekend so I'll have real ice treads. I've never had real snow tires before. It will be interesting to compare the new BFGs to the new studded Coopers.
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
My new go westy throttle body and switch are acting up. The switch doesn't activate at idle consistently. It worked good the first month. I'm going to pull it and try adjusting it so the switch closes at idle more assuredly. PITA.

Funny this came up, I literally just finished adjusting the switch on my GW throttle body about an hour ago. I noticed it intermittently not closing at idle for the past few weeks. I have had it in since June and have put about 7k miles on it with this being the first time I have had issues with the adjustment. I adjusted it to close at 4 thou from the throttle stop and will keep an eye on that measurement especially when it gets warmer. I am curious if it is temperature related. It sucks that the switch can't be adjusted without taking the TB out. I hate disturbing that intake gasket.

Definitely enjoying your thread, thanks for posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

The switch diffidently has more problems with the Gowesty factory adjustment when very cold. I'll give it an adjustment like you mention and hope it stays. I shortened my return spring some to increase tension like the instructions say to do. I don't want too stiff of a pedal. The axis the spring pulls at isn't optimum to give extra force to trigger the switch.

I agree it is a hassle to remove the intake hose, cable, etc. to adjust. I bought a new TB gasket/seal from bus depot and glued it in with hylomar so I should be able to re seal it easily (hylomar doesn't harden or setup). Having the idle control circuit actually fuction in the winter is important for cold startup so I need to get the switch adjusted tomorrow.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue! So what are the symptoms your vans are experiencing? My idle stays high between shifts at colder temps until the van warms up some.

x3 on the PITA to adjust the switch. So much so, that I haven't tried to adjust mine again.
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue! So what are the symptoms your vans are experiencing? My idle stays high between shifts at colder temps until the van warms up some.

x3 on the PITA to adjust the switch. So much so, that I haven't tried to adjust mine again.

I notice the lack of fuel cut off when decelerating mostly. Engine braking is much less effective if at all when the switch is not closing on overrun. It also causes me to shift sloppy due to the revs hanging longer than normal. Looking forward to my next fill up because I suspect my gas mileage has suffered as well.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

90Doka_Guy wrote:

I notice the lack of fuel cut off when decelerating mostly. Engine braking is much less effective if at all when the switch is not closing on overrun. It also causes me to shift sloppy due to the revs hanging longer than normal. Looking forward to my next fill up because I suspect my gas mileage has suffered as well.

Okay, I have the exact same symptoms. Only happens to me in the winter. Might be worth an email to GW on this one...

Sorry for the derail. Back to Steve's project thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: