Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steve's 87 Syncro project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

My symptoms match both of you. You can also listen to the switch (engine off of course). Cycle the throttle and you can hear if the switch activates when the throttle closes. It is hit and miss when thing are cold.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I took apart my hazard switch and cleaned DEOXit'ed it and it works like new again. Hadn't worked for .... the last 15 years lol .

I also fixed my go westy new throttle body throttle switch adjustment. It wasn't triggering the switch at idle reliably. All I did was bend the metal that that holds the throttle stop away from the post to increase the travel back to idle like half a millimeter. This was easier than removing the TB to adjust the actual switch.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I installed new front turn signal lenses. The quality and fit is poor but they are still better than my cracked and broken originals.

Check this out. Got it from Van Cafe long with new mounting rubber inserts that fit the holes in the hatch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Thats awesome Cool

Did you do smoke front turn signals or orange?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I considered going clear or smoked. I like how they look on a grey or blue van. On my Titian red van I stuck with the stock orange color. The new lens is a darker bolder orange than my faded 32 year old originals. They look much nicer they just don't fitup in the opening as good as stock originals.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I also made an aluminum tab from the center roof a/c duct support bracket down around the plastic duct. It is all broken and was almost ready to fall on my head (again). The ducting will go away when I convert to a westy top so this is just a temporary setup.

I also fixed my slider door lock following the gowesty video. It just needed all the old greased cleaned out and replaced with graphite. I attempted to do the same to my front handle. Broke two nice pin punches trying to get the roll pin out. I'm going to send that handle off to Steve's Lockshop (Ben T Syncro gave me the info). Then I can get some steel keys cut and the handle fixed.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:

I also fixed my go westy new throttle body throttle switch adjustment. It wasn't triggering the switch at idle reliably. All I did was bend the metal that that holds the throttle stop away from the post to increase the travel back to idle like half a millimeter. This was easier than removing the TB to adjust the actual switch.

Going to have to try this.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Steve Arndt wrote:

Going to have to try this.

That didn't work. I had to pull the throttle body and manually adjust the switch.
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Did you ever get the GW throttle body TPS working correctly? I’m debating the new GW throttle body vs. a rebuilt stock one.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Weezyissuperfast wrote:
Did you ever get the GW throttle body TPS working correctly? I’m debating the new GW throttle body vs. a rebuilt stock one.

Yes. It is working good. I adjusted it for a bit more positive switching upon return to idle. Very small adjustment. Took two tries because I didn't want to overdo it. I also shortened the long spring a little bit like the instructions say to do. The pedal is still nice and light feeling (good feel).
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for letting me know. BTW, I like your build so far.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Sad gearbox. Time for a rebuild.

It made no noise or indication of trouble until it all quit, with no power transfer in one instant moment in 2nd gear. Coasted to the side and towed home. Here are the pics. I will pull the bell housing and inspect a bit further.

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Van is back up. Mike Herbert (Rancho fame) built me a bad ass gearbox. I was non locker before. He built me a box with the Peloquin diff, LOCKER, oiling plates, some new gears, TDI starter, etc. Man is it quiet and smooth compared to my old unit.

I still don't have the wiring for the locker lights figured out, but the locker does work splendidly. Mike also hooked me up with a good deal on the dash console/switch setup. This trans swap is a big ass job. Not fun.

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

My locker functions nicely. I don't know where to find the existing under dash wiring for it though. Any pics or pointers? I found a 3 pin amp/molex looking connector with colors that seem to match but it doesn't work. Any help w this is appreciated.

Also pics of modifying the heater hose plastic cover piece that the dash locker console mounts to. I need to do this still.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Non Locker vanagons generally did not come with the wiring installed- at least not in the several I've dissected.
Vanagons with rear lockers came with the wiring for decouplers and front lockers, but all the vanagons I've seen without lockers (86 and 87 only), did not have that body harness in place.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Mine had the 2 wire w connector for the actuator light switch back at the transaxle. It is tucked up near the gas tank on the right side. I'm lost up front though for the dash wiring.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Mine had the 2 wire w connector for the actuator light switch back at the transaxle. It is tucked up near the gas tank on the right side. I'm lost up front though for the dash wiring.

I labelled them here. The tag with reverse is a mistake, it's the fuel gauge.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8881829
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: