Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Protronics igniter 3?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Does anyone like it? I had a old 009 on my buggy revved to the moon ran great. Sold old motor that needed a distributor so off it went. Bought a brand new igniter set limiter to 6500 using the blinking lights 6 long 5 short. Ran like crap tried advancing and retarding timing still craps out, tried turning off rev limiter.
Does anyone use these or know how to use them? One more thing no more blinking light but runs the same.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Do you mean Pertronix III?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Yes have heck of a time with it. Nothing else has changed on engine only the 009 to ]
Protronics 3
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

You are not the only one with problems with the Pertronix III, if you search you can find many others reporting similar strange behavior with them.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

What ignition leads are you running? the III needs very good suppresion wires and resistor plugs. it is very sensitive to electrical noise.
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Its in a Manx, running 8mm wires that came with. Also will not work with my tack I even tried the resistor. It runs so much better with points. May give Glenn's 010 a try if he has any. But think its more a pickup vrs a point thing.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

8MM doesn't mean much, you would need to verify if they are wire core or proper suppression wire core.

I have a P III with the matching Pertronix Coil and Pertronix wires and it runs perfect and the rev limiter does it's thing a the set point.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing, its broken and cant be fixed. It went in the bin.
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

I think they are fine for maybe 4500 rpm. I am bummed got two. Maybe the coil is good for something?
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

I just use good old points and a Condenser on mine now. Nice and basic. My engine isn't tho. It's a turbo beast of a thing.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

I put one in a friends car. Need good wires and plugs and matching coil. Runs great now.

brad
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Salombuggy good to here that yours works. Mine may be fine only way I will know is go back to stocker
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Throw that thing away! Just put a compufire unit in it and be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

SRP1 wrote:
Throw that thing away! Just put a compufire unit in it and be done.

Have you noticed differences in the compufire design that make it better then the Pertronix?
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Compufire "hat" with magnets and magnetic pickup is different than ring magnet and magnetic pickup of Pertronics... I ran Compufires in my race car and have one in my street car, both in 009 bodies and they go to over 7000 RPM (on occasions)... In one car 17 years now and in race car about 9 years (before selling it) and never a problem....

A few years ago Pertronix bought Compufire and are now still producing Compufires, thankfully...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Basic Ignitor and ignitor II

Not sure whats inside Ignitor III though seemS to be same module & magnet concept with some extra majik of rev limiter....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Good points Dale. Errrr.... or I should say good observation.

Empi has the "Accufire" copy of the compufire too.

Maybe the compufires are more reliable then the Pertronix
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

Many of my race buddies run Ignitor (I) and they were rock solid (except for one cracked magnet)...

And there is a few clones of Pertronics out there also...There used to be a seller on the Samba (may still) that was selling a Pertronics clone...

And Compufire was out there with wasted spark (distributorless) ignition before it was fashionable with crank trigger...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

[quote="jpaull"][quote="SRP1"]Throw that thing away! Just put a compufire unit in it and be done.[/quote]

Have you noticed differences in the compufire design that make it better then the Pertronix?[/quote]

Longevity, and reliability
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fender38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

I have one of these. It came in my Baja when I bought it. It's functioned flawlessly.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Protronics igniter 3? Reply with quote

Fender38 wrote:
jpaull wrote:

I have one of these. It came in my Baja when I bought it. It's functioned flawlessly.

Good to know! They are only $30 so its low cost alternative to pertronix

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: