Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leak at master cyl reservoir
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Leak at master cyl reservoir Reply with quote

I've got an '81 diesel caddy. Lost brakes last fall (I don't drive in snow/salt anyway). Can't find a leak anywhere but where the res. plugs into MC, if I wiggle the res. or push down on it, it leaks a little. MC was new last summer. Bentley says lubricate with brake fluid and push res. barbs thru grommets.My question is can I use a little silicone or something to seal it up?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leak at master cyl reservoir Reply with quote

Use brake fluid. Using any other lube may effect the rubber seals inside the master cylinder.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Leak at master cyl reservoir Reply with quote

not uncommon to crack the resevoir nipples while prying them off the old master...
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Leak at master cyl reservoir Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks. I thought about a small crack. (I meant silicone as some kind of RTV sealant, I've got plenty of lubrication there now). I'll carefully pull the res.later, inspect it (I've got another), and if ok will put some hi-tack on the top part of the barbs. Thanks for your interest.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Leak at master cyl reservoir Reply with quote

You may think twice before you do something that is unorthodox when repairing your brake system. It frustrates me to no end that many DIY'er 'butch' their brake system.

Find a professional or do it right. High tack, glue, grease, or any other half ass repair should not be used for a brake system. You could kill yourself or even someone else because you're too cheap to do it right. You're not educated enough to make a decision that could kill.

Sorry, if you are upset with my words, but I truly believe there are way too many people that work on their brakes that should not. If you have to ask about what type of glue to use to fix your brakes, they you are going about it all wrong.
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Leak at master cyl reservoir Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for your concern. I pulled the res. Couple tiny lines could be cracks. Pulled and cleaned spare; looks pretty good. Had planned on putting it back together without any kind of sealer, keeping an eye on it. All I wanted in the first place was an opinion on stopping this non-pressure but dangerous drip. Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: