Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pump engine 25 hp
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

hello everybody,

need help, have to change my oïl pump for my split Windows 1950 engine 25 HP.

do you know a repro model ? or someone have a NOS for sale ?

my French

thanks
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

You should place this as a wanted add in the classified section here on the Samba. Good luck!
'63 OG 117
Booba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

but if i can find it in repro ? should be more easy but at the moment only found oïl pump for period 53 until 67

noboby as a solution or information

thanks
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

When I rebuilt the 25hp engine in my '50 Standard, I put in a later, new 36hp ( or possibly 40hp ) pump that was slightly thicker for a little extra oil pressure. Only change I had to make was to put in longer 6mm studs. No issues after over ten years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

Try Wolfsberg West
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

ya what he said Wolfsburg west . I use the 26mm 6mm case stud pumps. stock is 21mm. 25\ 36/ 40hp take the same pump. nothing unique for the 25hp.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

The stock gears are 17 mm. If using higher oil pressure than desinged, could be so that the oil relief valve doesn't close to the oil cooler circulation as planned. Then there is a risk for overheating.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
The stock gears are 17 mm. If using higher oil pressure than desinged, could be so that the oil relief valve doesn't close to the oil cooler circulation as planned. Then there is a risk for overheating.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a point many people miss.
A lot of people think old engines need thick oils, but its false. The engine will run hotter, and have less cooling capasity.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

What evidence is there that a pump that is able to deliver a higher volume of oil, will actually run at a higher pressure? I appreciate that if a greater amount of oil is being forced through the same size oilway, without loss, or pressure relief, ie restricted, then this is possible. Does anybody have any experience of this, and the actual, measurable pressures created?

As somebody points out, the viscosity of the oil will also have an affect, but don't we all use HD30 (High Detergent - SAE30) oil in our old engines?
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

I'm with Martin a bigger pump increases volume not pressure . that has more to do with oil weight. where are you Joe ? I know he uses 26mm pumps .

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

I have read an test article (I can't remember where) of using different pumps, and there was evidence to disturb the cooling circulation. Why to use longer gear pumps and take the risk when the original 17 mm works?
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

Booba wrote:
hello everybody,

need help, have to change my oïl pump for my split Windows 1950 engine 25 HP.

do you know a repro model ? or someone have a NOS for sale ?

my French

thanks

Are you looking for a complete oil pump or just the gears?
Ask Cagero if they have a complete oil pump, they do have the 17 mm gears.
https://www.cagero.com/de/prod/Aircooled/K%C3%A4fe...1&n=27
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
What evidence is there that a pump that is able to deliver a higher volume of oil, will actually run at a higher pressure? I appreciate that if a greater amount of oil is being forced through the same size oilway, without loss, or pressure relief, ie restricted, then this is possible. Does anybody have any experience of this, and the actual, measurable pressures created?

As somebody points out, the viscosity of the oil will also have an affect, but don't we all use HD30 (High Detergent - SAE30) oil in our old engines?

A pump will roughly deliver flow x pressure. The oil passages and the viscosity restrict the flow. When you using a bigger pump againt a restriction (like the oil system), the oil pressure will rise. If it was no restriction, you would only increase the flow. But an engine got restrictions. So if you use a bigger pump, its vice to use thinner oil, to prevent high oil pressure. At 3 bar/45 psi or higher, the oil cooler is bypassed on newer engines, presume it is same on 25hp.

That said, if I remember right, the 30/36hp engine got 19mm oil pump. Should work fine in a 25hp.

I use 10w40 instead of 30w on my 30/36hp, for better lubrication and better protection when cold, on my 30hp. VW ended up to recommend 15W40 in hot areas.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump engine 25 hp Reply with quote

It's the same 17 mm for 25/36/40 HP (25/30/34hp DIN) up to engine 9.800.000, means up to July 1965.
New projects
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: