Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2k miles in one push in Eurovan?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmoreman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

New poster here. I have a 1997 EVC purchased last year (formerly had a 1990 Westy but sold it years ago...I know...stupid).
Van has 120k, no rattle can noises, solid trans and cooler and in general very nice shape. Planning on a major road trip this summer, and while I know that its better to slow down and enjoy the ride, a major reason for the drive is to get to some awesome mountain biking in Colorado.
That in mind, my co-pilot only has a week, so I am hoping to maximize time in CO. What are the collective thoughts on a mad dash to the Rockies from VT? Is the van up to the task?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

Too far. All of your time will be spent driving and wishing you were sleeping.

2000 EACH way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elmoreman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Too far. All of your time will be spent driving and wishing you were sleeping.

2000 EACH way.

OOPS. Looks like I left out some vital info. I plan on being gone for 5 weeks. The first week is just driving to CO and biking, then the family flies into Denver. Co-pilot is flying home from Denver. When he flies home, we hit the easy button and make our way north and then east at cruising speed.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

Run some rough logistical analysis to figure out whether it's gonna be worth it for your friend to suffer so much for so little fun. Years ago a buddy and I drove my '84 318i from Albuquerque to Olympia in a straight shot that took us 26hrs of trading places. By the time we hit Eastern Oregon I was hallucinating and seeing things jumping out at us on the road. It was close to 1500 miles and left us both messed up for a week after. It's a shitty way to travel.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

2000 miles is three days. There is so much to see and do, I would take longer

Take your time, enjoy it, then lie to everyone about your depart date and tell them you did it in one shot - the pix look the same.
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

Gonna have to say that it could be worth it. I drove a total of 4k miles from Cincinnati to Yellowstone and back in 11 days... with copilot (wife) and two young boys... and it was a dream.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Is there a better way? Sure, take more time. That's our plan for our next trip this summer through Abscate's neck of the woods.
If you don't have more time, should you avoid the trip? Heck no- adventure on!

Sounds like you are actually questioning if the van can handle it... not the driver. To that, I say this is what these things were built for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

It all depends on what you consider "fun". I like driving and I like road trips. Some people are bored after 1-2 hours behind the wheel. If you or your friend are like then, then this won't work. If you both like driving 2K miles is 33 hours of driving at 60mph.

Last summer we drove 5500kms/3500 miles in 2 vehicles both towing trailers. 3 drivers between the 2 vehicles. We did it in under 3 days, pretty decent when you consider the one was governed at 102 km/h (60mph). Yes, we were a little "ragged" when we arrived but in good spirits.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip. Just do it.

We did Seattle to Vermont to Maine and back to Seattle in about 3 1/2 weeks. It was a great trip.

Check out a book call Roadtrips USA, which takes you on five of the non-interstate routes across the country both north/south and east/west. You are going 60 instead of 70 but you will see some great small towns. The book will give you a play by play of the towns as you go.

Have fun.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k miles in one push in Eurovan? Reply with quote

Is the van up to the task? how the heck are we supposed to know.

but the driver is the biggest risk.

in 2015 on my NY to Albuquerque balloon fest trip

I made Syracuse, NY to Colorado Springs in 2 days time. with a lunch stop in Kansas on day2 the girls wanted to see the Wizard of Oz museum
after leaving Syracuse to have my trans blow 4th gear in Cleveland, OH (5hrs)
and returning to Syracuse in 3rd gear (6.5hrs) and changing to my spare transaxle before getting ~4hrs shuteye..

extenuating circumstances for sure..
and the last hour was down right dangerous.. that I'm not so proud of. being that tired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: