Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

Try this whilst in the (once great) State of California:

1. Hold gas nozzle in dominant hand.
2. Fully Retract/slide back the vapor recovery boot.
3. Place nozzle partially into filler opening.
4. Squeeze trigger part way

The boot must be fully retracted or the pump will not work.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

I'll pass on the advice!

Thanks!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

The pumps here in SD suck. I have to hold it for my 80 EVERY time. Usually just requires 2-3 shoves gently to the bottom and slightly towards the front of the van to get it fully seated.

Find Aeromech in the bay forum, have them take it there. Highly recommend. 👍

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drquiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
11BC2 wrote:

I'll pass on the advice!

Thanks!

Dave

Actually 11BC2 is right, Dave. I live in CA and have the hardest time filling up and much of it has to do with those stupid vapor boots. If I don't pull back the vapor boot with my other hand, the pump simply will not fill any gas. It's as if the gas pump nozzle doesn't go in far enough into the filler to press the boot itself. Even in other states without vapor boots, I still have issues with the nozzle not going in far enough, which prevents me from squeezing the pump and using the little trigger to hold the flow of gas and letting it pump by itself. I don't think there was ever a time in the 6 years I've own my van that I didn't have to manually hold and squeeze the pump myself, not to mention going super slow and using two hands in CA cause of the boot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

Does anyone think I'll have any problem with a 1.5" wire reinforced Fuel Fill hose for this project ? I see Fisheries Supply sells by the foot and they have the Perko valves. I'd like to get it all in one shot ordering ...

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trident-marine-a2-wire-reinforced-fuel-fill-hose-series-327
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

The marine fuel hose I used was wire reinforced.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

Thank you, sir !
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

This is something I should consider doing to my '50 chebbie truck. Tired of planting my ear next to the filler neck opening.

Craig
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

I also have some leftover 1.5" marine fuel hose that someone can have for the cost of shipping (or free if you're in Austin).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

I’m in California. Yeah. When filling my motorcycle I always have to two hand it. Same on the van.
Typical California safety law making me spill all the time. If I could have 5m in a room with the person who designed those stupid rubber foreskins on the California pumps...

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

Any benefit from the small amount of vapor recovery with the CA pumps gets nullified easily if the system causes a spill of liquid fuel.
CyberHatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

I performed this fix as per the OP. I live in ca. It works flawlessly. Great fix.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

CyberHatter wrote:
I performed this fix as per the OP. I live in ca. It works flawlessly. Great fix.

Thanks for reporting back. It's good to hear. Do you need to do anything special when filling the van in CA?

I assume that djkeev was the one who performed the (probably misleading) edit to the title. I suspect that the 'problems in California' had nothing at all to do with the valve added to the fill tube and were just a case of the pump nozzle either not fitting far enough into the tube because of the VW design or because of operator error.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

drquiz wrote:
djkeev wrote:
11BC2 wrote:

I'll pass on the advice!

Thanks!

Dave

Actually 11BC2 is right, Dave. I live in CA and have the hardest time filling up and much of it has to do with those stupid vapor boots. If I don't pull back the vapor boot with my other hand, the pump simply will not fill any gas. It's as if the gas pump nozzle doesn't go in far enough into the filler to press the boot itself. Even in other states without vapor boots, I still have issues with the nozzle not going in far enough, which prevents me from squeezing the pump and using the little trigger to hold the flow of gas and letting it pump by itself. I don't think there was ever a time in the 6 years I've own my van that I didn't have to manually hold and squeeze the pump myself, not to mention going super slow and using two hands in CA cause of the boot.

Pretty much the same experience here with over 1,100 gas fill-ups. I've had my Syncro for 29 years in CA and I can typically only get the tank about 1/2 to 2/3 full before it clicks off and I have to resort to holding back the vapor recovery boot. I've also found it helps if you lift the hose end as high as possible it drops the nozzle end lower and points it more toward the ground. Also, pointing the nozzle end more toward the front of the van aligns it better with the direction of the Syncro's fill hose.

A friend of mine was travelling with me in my Syncro and was giving me a hard time about this and was concerned about me continuing to fill well beyond the first click off - concerned about releasing vapors. That was until he saw another Syncronaut at the other gas island doing the exact same thing, and realized it wasn't just me.

I love it when I get to travel out of CA and get to stop wrestling with the CA mandated nozzles.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CyberHatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
CyberHatter wrote:

Thanks for reporting back. It's good to hear. Do you need to do anything special when filling the van in CA?

I assume that djkeev was the one who performed the (probably misleading) edit to the title. I suspect that the 'problems in California' had nothing at all to do with the valve added to the fill tube and were just a case of the pump nozzle either not fitting far enough into the tube because of the VW design or because of operator error.

Not at all. Set pump nozzle like any car and go clean windows and check the oil. One of the best improvements I've made. It always threw up before.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

Yes, I edited the title and apparently pump nozzles vary depending upon where you are in California?

I don't know if it is a manufacturer variation or a relaxed emission mandate for a given county?

Some work...... some don't.

We have vapor boots here in NJ and never had a problem with them beyond the obvious being annoying to use!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

Dave, I think that your edit to the title is misleading and you should remove it. I can understand why you added it, but I do not believe that adding the valve causes any additional issues in CA and the solution seems to work reliably everywhere else and works fine for CyberHatter in CA. If I understand the posts correctly, the issue that has been described is that the pump keeps clicking off, not that the fuel pukes back out of the tank. The puking is cured by the valve.
The issue of the pump clicking off is a separate issue that has nothing to do with the added valve or this thread. Also, the issues that Syncro vans have in CA don't really have anything to do with this solution either.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

We have those nozzles in urban areas up here and I've frequently had issues similar to those described here. I've also fueled up in CA and had issues. This isn't a CA specific problem.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

I don't doubt that there are issues with filling Vanagons in CA and anywhere else that uses similar fuel pumps. From what has been said, though, I do not believe those issues have anything to do with adding the Perko valve. The issues seem to be in having the pump click off repeatedly rather than having the fuel burp back out of the filler after shutdown and so the "Umm problems in California!" refers to an issue that is separate from the issue this thread is about. It is a misleading and even off-topic edit to the original thread title.
drquiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fuel Fill "BURP" - SOLVED! Umm problems in California! Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

I live in CA and this is true. However, I purchased a "gas pump nozzle key" a few years ago and it definitely helps by holding the vapor boot back enough so that you don't have to use two hands. I still have to hold the pump with one hand because the pump usually fills too fast or the pump will kick off, spew out gas, burp out fuel. Filling my van has always a pain in the ass, especially when it is cold outside.

Here is a link to the gas pump nozzle key I purchased: EZ Fill Nozzle Key

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: