Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine Reply with quote

Hi Everyone--van is an '89 2.1, stock other than Marco Mansi injectors. Engine runs fine under all circumstances; starts fine too except when I park nose-first in my driveway, which puts the front of the van about half a meter higher than the rear. If I let it sit an hour or two, it will crank but won't start.

I've seen a couple of other threads with sort-of similar problems, but none seemed definitive. I don't think it's an electrical/Hall sensor issue as the van runs and starts fine under all other circumstances, including going up steep slopes on highways or back roads. My thought is that it's a fuel issue of some sort. Anyone have any guesses?

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine Reply with quote

aaaaand how much gas do you have in the tank when this is not starting? fill it up, then try it again. don't go by the gauge, just fill it and try.

87 Westy, stock 2.1 w/ 4 spd ratty but reliable
89 Westy, stock 2.1 w/ 4 spd, fate unknown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine Reply with quote

Shouldn't the FPR still hold pressure? Or does the van bleed pressure down over time and that's why it primes for 2 seconds each key ON turn?

I agree about the gas being the KISS solution.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine Reply with quote

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see how fast the pressure is dropping as you might have an injector that is leaking through and filling your intake with raw gas. The Bentley has a spec on how fast of a drop in pressure is acceptable.

Have you checked for spark? That is about the easiest place to start.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine Reply with quote

I like Wildthings post. It could be a wire that is loose and grounding out. A half meter height diff is far greater than you would experience driving as that is an 11% slope.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: No start when parked nose-up; otherwise fine Reply with quote

I would like to hear how it does with a completely full tank as well. While the outlet and return are on the back side, there is quite a bit of plumbing on the interior of the tank that might have an issue and it is allowing air to get drawn into the fuel pump inlet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: