Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator fan does not turn on with AC
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

1984 Westy. 8 years ago I bought my van and it was missing the compressor, and the rear cabinet fan was broken, it seemed like a huge pain to get the upper cabinet fan working right. Well I took it apart and fixed it, and now a new compressor is in the mail. When I turn the AC on, the radiator fan does not come on, from what I've read its supposed to turn on. Is this correct? The Bentley doesn't have anything close to my AC setup.

I've checked the fuses, which I believe are the add on blade fuses yellow and beige and they are fine, but when I pull them the rear fan still runs. Is there a diagram or guide for the AC electronics for a 1984 Westy?

When I turn the AC on, I can hear the relay click on the main fuse panel, and when I go to set the temp, I can hear a click from a small box that controls the AC. Now I don't have the compressor installed so I'm not sure if this is preventing the fan from turning on. The trigger wire is getting 12v.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Check that 50amp fuse in the back (if it's the same on an 84 Westy). It's the silver metal blade thing on the photos at the beginning of this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

djkeev was nice enough to provide the 85 and 86 wiring diagrams for the A/C system, might be of some help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1985_...agrams.pdf
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

There is no access on the rear D-pillar, I can't find this 50amp fuse.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Your year doesn't have such a fuse and has much simpler wiring than late 86+ Westys do. Nothing much in the D pillar for you to check.

Mark

Inlet wrote:
There is no access on the rear D-pillar, I can't find this 50amp fuse.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Inlet wrote:
Is there a diagram or guide for the AC electronics for a 1984 Westy?.

Bentley page 97.138

Easily missed. Wink
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

So does the radiator fan run when the AC switch is on, even though there is no compressor?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Inlet wrote:
So does the radiator fan run when the AC switch is on, even though there is no compressor?

It should do if the "Rad/Cooling fan relay" is present. I'm assuming the compressor is the only item missing.
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Figured it out, first I found a bank of 3 relays tucked up floating in a spot no one would see, I had to follow some wires back to it to find it. These were the ones I was looking for. Next I looked at the switch and saw one of the wire terminals had masking tape around it...hmmm some more PO electrical madness, then I found a black/red wire that wasn't connected to anything. Looked at the wiring diagram, wire colors didn't match up on the switch, he jumped a black wire straight to the fuse panel, all this did was run the upper rear fan. Swapped the wires on the switch around, and now it works like its supposed to.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Well found. Wink
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

Having the same issue on my 85 tintop with the funky ceiling mount a/c behind driver passenger heads.
The radiator fan no longer comes on with the a/c fan. Tested radiator fan and it works when I jump the terminals at the temp connector.
Is there a relay for this somewhere? I checked fuses and none are blown.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

RufusRockwell wrote:
Having the same issue on my 85 tintop with the funky ceiling mount a/c behind driver passenger heads.
The radiator fan no longer comes on with the a/c fan. Tested radiator fan and it works when I jump the terminals at the temp connector.
Is there a relay for this somewhere? I checked fuses and none are blown.

You have a dealer added AC https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733489
, you're gonna have to track the wires, I'm not sure there's a diagram for these out there...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

You have a dealer added AC https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733489
, you're gonna have to track the wires, I'm not sure there's a diagram for these out there...

Howzit Alika!
Yes that's the unit I have. I've refurbished it twice already and was hoping I would not have to do it again after my Subaru swap. We'll see..
I'll trace the wires and see where they lead.
BTW, we met about 10 years ago in the parking lot of the Napa on Waialae ave. You were workin on your van. I drove the bright yellow tintop. Living in Oregon now but desperately missing that warm ocean!!
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Turns out it WAS a fuse. Not blown but broken. Must have happened when I pulled it out to check it the first time. Checked it again and it pulled out but left one of its legs in the socket. Replaced and the radiator fan is now coming on with the a/c.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan does not turn on with AC Reply with quote

RufusRockwell wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Howzit Alika!
Yes that's the unit I have. I've refurbished it twice already and was hoping I would not have to do it again after my Subaru swap. We'll see..
I'll trace the wires and see where they lead.
BTW, we met about 10 years ago in the parking lot of the Napa on Waialae ave. You were workin on your van. I drove the bright yellow tintop. Living in Oregon now but desperately missing that warm ocean!!

Howzit!

I do not remember our exchange but that's sounds right, I'm still often there, living in Palolo Smile
Did you bring the van with you?
Good thing you've found out what it was, and an easy fix Cool

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: