Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bucket of parts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

A person I know bought all this stuff for less than 100 bucks. What did he get.
A good AS serial number case dual relief 8 mm, case is first cut .020 std thrust Standard crank 8 dowel with matching flywheel. The engine went down because of oil starvation and scored two rod bearings. Good news case is in great condition well worth the money paid. Crank can maybe be polished.

These kind of deals are still out there waiting to be found
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also in the box empi finned valve covers, solid shaft rockers, deep sump, two chrome distributors, a windage tray, a cam of unknown grind, steel pushrods. Oh and an original equipment VW square top fuel pump.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Appears something was scraping the internal web, & that 1 piston (w/ blackened crown, @ rt) was kissing a head.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

That all looks like a big pile of shit parts to me. I hope whoever that was isn't planning on trying to rebuild the engine and sell it for a profit

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

sanchez that would have been the rod that spun the bearing hitting the case and that piston hitting the head....that crank's not gonna polish out....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
That all looks like a big pile of shit parts to me. I hope whoever that was isn't planning on trying to rebuild the engine and sell it for a profit

Yes I’ve seen things like this before people take stuff apart, store incorrectly, water damage, lose some of the hardware then sell for pennies on the dollar because the number of folks able to make use of this is dwindling. However for a minimum investment it would make somebody a nice short block. A very least it needs crankshaft work, set of rods,lifters, camshaft,main,rod and cam bearings we shall see Very Happy I’ll take a few pics along the way.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
sanchez that would have been the rod that spun the bearing hitting the case and that piston hitting the head....that crank's not gonna polish out....

Cusser though after his wife drove around with a bad rod bearing couldn’t salvage that crank with but it did clean up. Depends on how hot it got, bearing always melts first and if you can clean off melted bearing it just might work, it’s a roll of the dice could go either way.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Cusser though after his wife drove around with a bad rod bearing couldn’t salvage that crank with but it did clean up. Depends on how hot it got, bearing always melts first and if you can clean off melted bearing it just might work, it’s a roll of the dice could go either way.

Wife lost all the oil in my 1971, had bearing slivers on the oil screen, drove that engine 3 years additional, no knocking. Turned out to be damaged #2 main bearing, but crankshaft did not even need re-machining, machine shop said it did not need re-grind.

That engine rolls in my 1970 now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

the empi vc's are what makes it worth the effort. sump is added bonus,chrome dist makes it all faster and gets brownie points from the show guys, but that assholes never seem to bring any brownies....be sure to check the lifter holes too.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Today consisted of a preliminary cleaning and general inspection of the case so we bought the oven cleaner at Dollar General and used a local coin op car wash to get rid of the biggest mess before it goes into my parts cleaner.

Follow along as we note some abnormalities, nothing major all repairable so we’ll wash it again and check for warping and fretting at #2 main web. I noted some corrosion damage in sump area caused by water and some heavy tool marks where some ape pried the case apart. Damage along the lower end, busted off ears for sled tin mounts, loose sheet metal chafing damage at #1 flywheel area, all typical wear areas. Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon May 14, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Somebody painted this engine black and you can clearly see how it held up. This is why I don’t paint engines. When they installed sump they left off the nut on stud that holds oil pickup tube. Ooooops. Lots of evidence of hacking where somebody used a metallic tool to pry it apart. Use wood or phenolic wedge if you must. I don’t even own a case splitter tool never needed one in over 40years. There are areas along the bottom where using the studs you can apply pressure to split the case
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

No signs of cracking? - I hope.

I did not see anything, but you got to see it up close.

No separation at the number two main?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

That sump area would of made me walk away. I love to restore VW parts and put them back in service. However, that case looks like a goner to me.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That sump area would of made me walk away. I love to restore VW parts and put them back in service. However, that case looks like a goner to me.

It was not visible or was overlooked upon purchase. The previous owner or builder had installed a sump with gobs of red RTV and it probably worked along with leaving nut off that holds oil pickup tube. On the other hand I’m going to spend more time to make a permanent repair, I’m thinking bolts instead of studs running from inside out since case is apart along with a real Devcon repair to address the corroded area. Used rebuildable cases around here are bringing 350.00 so I’m still coming in way under budget because the whole mess cost less than 100.00

The case has been cut once with standard thrust and looks ok now but I’ll be checking that too and then there’s the crank with two bad journals which may be iffy. That’s the fun and challenge of taking a pile like this and sorting it out.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

You could probably build that sump hole area up with tig and get a permanent repair.. it doesn't look like it's past fixing. That engine was evidently rode hard and put up wet!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

After taking another look i bet lots of those parts are salvagable especially the case, worth a rebuild IMO, also the crankshaft I bet it's fine even with the spun bearing. Bearing might have toasted but worth seeing if the crank will just polish out. Hell I'd try spitshining it before spending unnecessary dough. I've used pitted lifters, worn cam, and reused bearings out of a locked up engine before. Nothing wrong with a Grapes of Wrath perspective, it was a great film and the moral of the story was you can fix an engine for just a few bucks Very Happy

1600 SP engine
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

I'd be a player on the chrome dist., I have a great idea about a german wind chime or at least something to keep the deer outta my garden. Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but follow along the autopsy of this crankshaft because it has a story to tell.

Ok so the first thing to do is take it all the way down because you will salvage all the gears,spacers, keys and hardware regardless.

And it begins with removing this woodruff key to release the oil slinger and #4 main

First thing we noticed is a pinched bearing, this was done last time somebody built this engine and is very common rookie mistake.

It was stuck so I released this snap ring and let the puller walk it off

After it’s off and we are looking at #3 and #4 you’ll notice they are heavily scored and the crank journals have grooves. On to the rods well they didn’t fare much better, they are worn down to the copper and showing scoring

Here’s the main bearings

I’m afraid polishing isn’t going to work on this one but just to be sure I’m going to consult a machinist friend of mine that has built way more engines than I’ve ever seen.

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose but these problems are not insurmountable.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Two words: Mrs. Cusser.

Spitshine that thing, slap it back in there and call it good for another 100,000 miles

1600 SP engine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Two words: Mrs. Cusser.

Spitshine that thing, slap it back in there and call it good for another 100,000 miles

That sounds good but the deciding factor will be the final measurement. After polishing is it within limits? #4 is the worst because of the pinched bearing it made grooves which are most likely beyond what polishing would help. This crankshaft is a 10/10 already and it would most likely make 20/20 but then you weight the cost of turning it against finding another that is within limits, I’m pretty sure we can find a better crankshaft. We won’t go back with any parts that are marginal. The pitted lifters and the cam of unknown grind will also be shelved in the interest of building a reliable engine, again parts that measure up will be used. By doing this and documenting the build you’ll know as will any potential buyer that a level of care and professionalism is built in to the engine. I’m not bragging well maybe just a little but I still hear from people that bought engines I built and have been in service for years, that’s a nice feeling😀

The practical side of this is oil pressure yes you could build using a worn crank with sloppy tolerance but what about when it warms up and oil light flickers and the bearings take a real beating and wear quicker than if they had the right crush.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Got a chance after work to look at the cam, lifters today so here it is. The cam is a aftermarket Cofap 0 gear of course. That number on the front threw me off at first glance looks like 285 not sure what it means. The lifters are flat although they are not concave just yet but you can see the pitting, they came in a box so nobody kept track of where they were installed. A few more pics of the bearings including the thrust.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: