Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Bays Are Getting a New Home
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

No, they aren’t being sold. I’m building them a new garage and shop.
Started planning this project in early January when I took delivery of my single cab and now I finally have a slab. As a bonus, when this is complete I can expand my brewery. Stay tuned.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

Bada$$! You did scare me a little with the title. They will be happy in there new home once its built and your wife will probably never see you again.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

too small, and where are you mounting the lift?

Looks nice.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
too small, and where are you mounting the lift?

Honestly, I considered a lift - my wife even suggested it. But, I’m not much of a mechanic and I’ve managed with a floor jack and jack stands so far. And I still have to feed my other addiction. Adding plumbing and climate control to the brewery will also cost more than I’ve budgeted. Looks like I’ll be putting off retirement for another year. Confused
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

<deleted double post>
1966 Beetle

Last edited by SevenOaks on Thu May 24, 2018 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I would encourage to "plan " for the future. Everyone always needs more workable space for projects. Plan today for a four post lift, so that your ceilings are high enough. The great thing of a four post lift is you can store a car above another one long term, as well as using as a lift. Money well spent if you can. The resale value of your house will most likely increase because men pick houses for their man caves. So.... its a long term investment.
In this case listen to wife..
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

^^^Agree! I moved to my small town for good reasons, but the choice of house I picked was a result of a bad-ass garage arrangement. Detached over-sized garage facing the alley, with enough parking in front of it for four cars. 😎

Family can fight over the one bathroom in the house. I’ll pee in the bushes.

My future improvements will include a bathroom in the garage (already scored a super-cool urinal from a demo I did) and a portion of the garage made into office with a darkroom. I’d LOVE to have a lift, but there is just no way.

Hijack over!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
and a portion of the garage made into office with a darkroom.

Hijack over!

Film?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

Hijack over!

Film?

Yah! I have equipment to process up to 4x5 negs and 20x24 enlargements. Jobo Lift for color film.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

Hijack over!

Film?

Yah! I have equipment to process up to 4x5 negs and 20x24 enlargements. Jobo Lift for color film.
Cool! I have like 15 rolls of 35mm and 1 super 8 that I have to get developed. Not going to the store though ‘cause I want my negatives.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

The framing is done and it’s starting to look like a garage.

And enough space for the shop, too.

1966 Beetle
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

It is really a good feeling to have a good shop. They can be a fair amount of money and they are still worth it.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

I love the cardboard to protect the new concrete Very Happy Which reminds me I need to change mine with a fresh piece.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

Are you trussing or using stick lumber on the garage?

I like stick as you get the storage space up top. Truss is easier/cheaper to build but lousy for access
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

DID YOU SAY BREWERY? Cool
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
I love the cardboard to protect the new concrete Very Happy Which reminds me I need to change mine with a fresh piece.

I saw that too. You better get that floor painted. I wanted to do that when my garage was new. But everything moves in so fast. Never did it.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

They framed the roof with lumber, no trusses and the floor will be epoxied before moving in. Yes, cardboard is our friend and I maintain quite a stash.
Living in a coastal county, the code requires hurricane strapping which will get installed next week.

My bus has been with my mechanic waiting for a rebuilt steering box and has no idea what's been going on here. He will be thrilled I'm sure.

So, once the Bays are all moved in I can turn my attention to my half of the old garage. Everything in there now will go to either the new garage or the storage shed and I can make a proper brewery with air conditioning, upgraded electrical and, most important, a deep sink with hot/cold running water!

Someone earlier mentioned that my wife will never see me. There's a lot of truth in that. I hope she isn't too excited about it Neutral
1966 Beetle
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

Congrats dude! Thats an awesome and big addition! I lucked out big time with the place I bought next to the future mother-in-law. The house isnt big at 710sq ft, but a 900sqft shop with 30x15ft carport and an offset mother-in-law garage at 690sqft makes up for the tiny house. Got all 3 buildings on .33 of an acre for 110k! It was going into foreclosure but I bird-dogged the lady online, went to her house (public records in Washington) and asked to buy it. 3 months later I signed papers. Actually 1 year ago today!

What are your plans for the flooring? I wanted to either polish the concrete, or use the RustOleum garage epoxy before moving too much stuff into the shop. Seems that polishing it makes it crazy slippery if you get a spill, but the epoxy without the little fleks for traction gets the same finish.

I will say, if I go epoxy, Im getting 10mm socket and nut and bolt confetti made to put into the floor Laughing Just to piss off friends if they end up dropping something!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

IMHO, a good compromise between floor jacks and a 4 post lift:
It can hang out under the vehicle when not in use (no wasted space) and works well for a lot of repairs.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-scissor-lift-91315.html
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bays Are Getting a New Home Reply with quote

More progress to report. Roofing is scheduled to be done this week.

1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: