Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Hi all, am I posting this in the right forum? I'm 14 years old and I'm looking to buy my first vanagon. I've been interested in them since I was 6 yrs old. I am looking into buying a westy, or possible a weekender. Can anyone help me figure out what I need to watch out for when buying one? I am mechanically inclined, and I want one that doesn't run, but not something that's not easily fixable. Thanks in advance. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Welcome!!!

At the top of the main Vanagon forum page you will see various announcements and Stickies.

The first one is a FAQ section.

The first section will answer most of your questions.

I linked it below for you.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!
Change your fuel lines!
Oh, wait. You're not that far along yet.....
Laughing
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Good for you - starting early on something that can become a life-long hobby, passion, madness & one that you can share with others in your life in years to come.

My dream van would be a Westy still wearing its original paint. You want to be wary of rust and of rusty vans that have been poorly repaired. There are a lot of short-cuts owners take to hide rust for awhile - maybe just long enough to sell the van.

The surest way to know what condition the body is in is to be looking at a van that has never been repainted.

Fortunately, 'easily fixable' covers a lot of what can be wrong with one of these as someone willing to learn and get greasy can fix almost anything.

Best of luck in your quest.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

May as well get one that runs if possible, you will have plenty of work ahead of you either way. Way more if you have to go through every system just to get in the road to see what else it needs. These things are money pits, fun money pits.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Welcome to The Samba!
Change your fuel lines!
Oh, wait. You're not that far along yet.....
Laughing
Change 'em anyway! Wink

Welcome, young enthusiast, you've chosen the right affliction and we'll be begging you for advice soon enough!

As indicated, AVOID RUST!!!

Secondly, if your paper route pays this well, I must look at that business again.

Kidding, naturally. Your attitude fits, if your type of Vanagon Mania is of mechanical curiosity and grease-up-to-and-including-the-elbows sort of sickness, you are amongst equally-afflicted friends here. I for one admire your diligence!

Oh, AVOID RUST!

-- The End --

— Colin Chapman
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

These threads are totally awesome

Welcome to the fold , young person.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

is the seller happy or sad to be selling..

that's about it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mbwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

A for sale sign and don't ever leave your contact info on one asking to buy it...lol
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Well yeah, I would *never* leave that!

I leave yours. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
is the seller happy or sad to be selling..

that's about it. Laughing

Outstanding advice. My POs outgrew the van (they bought a diesel Jeep and an RV trailer to accommodate their family). She bought the van nearly 20 years before the sale. The man she married was almost as meticulous as she was in caring for the van. She cleaned every nook and cranny before the sale. He attended to every maintenance item. Their boy loved the van. She cried when we drove away. Caring POs are one of the most important elements of a PPI. Years later I continue to appreciate all that they did for the van. A few inches of seam rust is a tiny drawback when compared to awesome POs.

Even non-runners can have a great PO or a slob. Look at the wires running to the radio, crawl around the van and look for zip-ties used as short-term repairs, worse, zip ties that haven’t been trimmed. Look for the cludgey attempts to “improve” the van.

When I was your age I was wrenching endlessly on bicycles. A passion for fixing a Vanagon is similar (just a different platform).

You may find that you keep this van for 20 years or more so find one that’s as original as possible. As folks have mentioned, original paint, original dings (no hacked body filler), an absence of lame mods (hacked closet door in a Westy, etc.). All those things can be fixed but there are plenty of things that will already need attention.

Enjoy!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Quote:
zip ties that haven’t been trimmed

I respectfully remind the community there are young people present.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

I have a friend who bought an Edsel station wagon at age 13. He is upper 50's for now ands still has it. Drove it across the US as well.

It's a good plan. I think the main thing to look out for is rust, but he learned and did body work - but you do need someone to guide you there.

The van is pretty perfect to buy, they are great for travel. Also, relatively easy to access most items for repair or replacement.

To be the best find is a rust free body, and don't sorry about the mechanicals. You can dress those as systems - brake system, fuel system, engine, suspension, etc.

Best of luck.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
zip ties that haven’t been trimmed

I respectfully remind the community there are young people present.
Good catch, close call. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I have a friend who bought an Edsel station wagon at age 13. He is upper 50's for now ands still has it. Drove it across the US as well.

Is his name Rick and also have an MGB GT?
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

You're wise to seek advice from others...on this topic and on any problems you'll face in life. No one can REQUIRE you to take the advice. But just seeking advice tells me that you are bound to be a wise man.

One of the things that I look for is rust. The place that most people don't look is at the bottom of each of the windows. This is especially true at the bottom of the windshield but it can show up on any of the windows. From what I've told, they designed the window rubber incorrectly and it causes the rust. If you see even small bubbles then there is probably a bigger issue under there. I've owned 7 Westy's. On the ones that had this damage, I had the windows removed, the rust cut out, repaired the metal, installed new rubber, and had the windows reinstalled. It's not the end of the world, but if you want to do a total remodel, it's something to be aware of.

I've owned an 86, 87, 85, 85, 87, 82 diesel, and an 85
Brownj Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

As others have said, get the most rust free example you can afford. Mechanical things can be removed and replaced but rust repair is far more difficult to do correctly.

I like your thinking though. 14 is a great age to start with a vehicle. You'll learn an incredible amount about electrical systems and mechanics. I've found that knowledge has helped me throughout life. (My start was @ 15 with a very rusty Triumph TR3B)
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

essjayarr wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

Is his name Rick and also have an MGB GT?

Yep!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

You might find this site useful to list all the models for most years that VW sold Vangons in the USA.

www.Vanagons.org

Sorry, I've not nearly completed all I hope to with this site and it's currently missing 1982-1985 vans. Hope it might help you know which van models existed each year and what options were available. Might save someone from looking for some combination that never existed.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What To Look For When Buying A Vanagon Reply with quote

Great advice you've got so far, particularly regarding rust. I bought my first (rusty) beetle in Ohio at 15, learned my lesson and bought my second (rust-free) beetle in California at 18. The difference in wrenching on the two was night and day. If you can swing it, a road trip west/south to bring a van home is probably worth it. In addition, the advice I got 20 years ago when I asked the same question was not to get an old VW and attempt to use it as my only means of transportation. Good thing I had a bike.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: