Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leakage from oil cooler?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oil is dripping via air deflector plate. I geus the oil cooler seals are leaking oir oil pressure switch. Do I have to pull out the motor? or just remove the fan shroud?
(type 4 injection)

Last edited by 05gh on Sat May 12, 2018 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

Check the oil pressure switch first, since it's easy to access.

A couple months ago, I was prepared to get dirty by replacing the oil cooler seals which I thought were leaking. But it just turned out to be the oil pressure switch. Replaced the switch, and no more drips. (Well, not quite, but a whole lot less.)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

unless you drive backwards everywhere I don't buy the conclusion that it is the oil cooler seals leaking oil. It might be inside the fan shroud along with pushrod tube seals. Check your breather hose as well to be sure it isn't constricted,
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
unless you drive backwards everywhere I don't buy the conclusion that it is the oil cooler seals leaking oil. It might be inside the fan shroud along with pushrod tube seals. Check your breather hose as well to be sure it isn't constricted,

I have checked the oil breather hose just a little bit dirt and it's open.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Check the oil pressure switch first, since it's easy to access.

A couple months ago, I was prepared to get dirty by replacing the oil cooler seals which I thought were leaking. But it just turned out to be the oil pressure switch. Replaced the switch, and no more drips. (Well, not quite, but a whole lot less.)

it is black and a lot of greas around, start with replacing the switch and see wath happens.
Perhaps first start te engine and see if its dripping oil i gues.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

05gh wrote:
Do I have to pull out the motor? or just remove the fan shroud?

It can be done with the engine in, but it is tight.

You really need to clean the engine and find out for sure where it is leaking from.

Pushrod tube o-ring replacement
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420944

Oil cooler seals T2

Good luck
Tcash
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Oil gets blown back on the type IV,
check the valve cover on that side,
& the valve cover surface on the head itself.
Also the 'VW" letters stamped inside the cover SHOULD be upside down when put on correctly.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

Doesn't look like cooler to me. Bite the bullet, degrease everything and watch. I used brake and clutch cleaner in a plant mister when I had a similar leak that I thought was sandwich plate seal. It was a new but cracked cooler. PITA to change but clearly dripping once everything was clean.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

If it's a Beetle switch it's not tapered and has to be screwed down tightly to seal.
Type 4 switches are tapered.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=

Last edited by Volswagon on Sun May 13, 2018 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

[quote="timvw7476"]
SGKent wrote:

Also the 'VW" letters stamped inside the cover SHOULD be upside down when put on correctly.

Also the clip has to be facing up. Easier to put it on after the valve cover is in place.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

Oil cooler seals T2
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

never heard such a thing before, and seems counterintuitive based on the location of the tab on the side of the valve cover.
curious as to where have you seen this in factory service information.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

And....it makes no difference which way the VW logo faces. Have you ever measured the ramps and ledges for the bales on the VC?......I have.....after the last time I saw and endless thread on which way the logo goes.
The covers are absolutely symmetrical. They will fit and seal either way. Ray
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
And....it makes no difference which way the VW logo faces. Have you ever measured the ramps and ledges for the bales on the VC?......I have.....after the last time I saw and endless thread on which way the logo goes.

but Ray, what about the tabs on the side of the valve covers? aren't they supposed to go on a certain way? don't they mean anything? why are they there? type 1 valve covers aren't symmetrical, yet many of them have the tab.
the VW logo and the tabs are oriented a certain way on every type 4 valve cover i've looked at. besides, having the vw logo upside down when installed lust looks unprofessional.
Questions, Questions, Questions, flooding into the mind of the concerned young person today.

do you have a link to the "endless thread on which way the logo goes"? i'd like to read it.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Anytime I ignore it & have VW logo 'up' I am remounting upside down,
they (valve covers) seem to center easily that way, with the exterior
flange with the hole it in on the downward portion of the cover.
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

oil leakage was a main seal leakage. any suggestions to clean this mess.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

the VW logo and the tabs are oriented a certain way on every type 4 valve cover i've looked at. besides, having the vw logo upside down when installed lust looks unprofessional.

I picked up two NOS Factory T-127 1800 engines a few years back and all four valve covers had the logo upside down. Maybe this was a worker's way of showing disdain for his job or maybe the engineers had figured out the covers worked one way better than another. I had long before figured out that they seemed to seal better with the logo upside down. Can't explain why though.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

stuff old towels or non-shredding paper towels down below the wet area and spray it with carb cleaner. Do either the non-flammable or make sure you are in a vented area not near any flames, water heater etc. Then toss the paper towels in something in the sun for awhile until they vent off and then toss them in the trash although they will still be very flammable.

BEFORE you go further make sure the breather hose and breather tower are clean and open all the way to wherever your breather dumps. If not excess pressure will cause that seal to leak.

To remove the flange you can use one of the several solutions here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572644&highlight=remove+fan+tool

you can make a tool out of a thick large washer to fit behind the hub once you back the center bolt out some but leave it in until the hub pops free (put bus in 2nd or 3rd gear). you tighten 3 bolts down on the tool evenly to pop the hub off. There is an O-ring behind it you will need to replace too. Be gentle removing the old seal so that you don't gouge the area around it.

next two photos from TheSamba by Jon - Hazetguy

aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

If you do decide you need oil cooler seals, i have done it with the engine in place. Its not to tough and it gives you a lot of access to clean and inspect many different parts of the engine.

This thread was a good guide

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352137&highlight=extractor

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leakage from oil cooler? Reply with quote

05gh wrote:

oil leakage was a main seal leakage. any suggestions to clean this mess.

engine degreaser
purple power
Dawn dishwashing liguid

Tcash wrote:
Type 4 Fan hub Puller

#9 Fan hub oring 021 119 125 A
Fan hub seal 021 105 247 A
Don't forget to put #7 spacing washer back in.
thnx to jersey

Good luck
Tcash

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: