Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another horn earth tab question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Another horn earth tab question Reply with quote

Yesterday i saw a thread asking about repair of the horn earth tab.

I've recently had my steering column out and I'm now re-fitting the entire dash. When I had the column out I thought that I saw the tab bent outwards. In some photos it appears bent inwards and in others straight down. For example - bent 'in'

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can anyone confirm the correct position, a photo to confirm would be very helpful. I've searched the archive for "horn tab" but cannot find anything that doesn't look like a repair.

Also to confirm the tab is simply where the horn's earth connect since the entire column is an earth, is that correct?

Thanks in advance
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another horn earth tab question Reply with quote

regardless of the correct position when you try to change that tab it will break off.

Photos from gallery

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another horn earth tab question Reply with quote

1968-middle of 74
The steering Tube was + positive and the Shaft was - earth.

Horn All
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another horn earth tab question Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
1968-middle of 74

This is not correct. The tube and shaft are electrically connected, so they will either be both + or both -.

Although the tube/shaft are on the "ground" side of the horn, the switch for the circuit (the horn button) is "downstream"
from the tube/shaft. This means that when the horn is not sounding, the tube/shaft is "hot, i.e. at "12" volts, and when the horn button is
pressed, the tube/shaft will be grounded, i.e at or near "0" volts.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another horn earth tab question Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Tcash wrote:
1968-middle of 74

This is not correct. The tube and shaft are electrically connected, so they will either be both + or both -.

Although the tube/shaft are on the "ground" side of the horn, the switch for the circuit (the horn button) is "downstream"
from the tube/shaft. This means that when the horn is not sounding, the tube/shaft is "hot, i.e. at "12" volts, and when the horn button is

both TCash and your statement are the same. Are we arguing semantics. Smile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another horn earth tab question Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Tcash wrote:
1968-middle of 74

My mistake the tube is hot and the brown wire that runs through the shaft is ground earth.

Thank you
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: