Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carter electric fuel pump low pressure?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daytonaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
NO Laughing

Possible solutions:

Take out the peg.

One nice thing about the vac/pressure gauge is that there is no peg. The needle can go both ways. So it gets old...you drop it, ect..... zero is not zero anymore but no problem. You can still use it. You just see the offset and take it into account. So if you take the peg out of your chinesium liquid filled fuel pressure gauge...... you just turn off the fuel pump, see what it reads, turn on the fuel pump, read the difference.

the problem these liquid filled things have is you heat them up to 120-140 degrees or whatever, and that air bubble inside the thing is at 3 PSI+, so the needle is stuck against the peg....you just don't know it.

Yes I see your point about the liquid filed gauges. So I am going to remove the gauge install 4 ft of tubing vertically. Then I will measure the inches of fuel column and calculate the fuel pressure . The best part is I can see the fuel level in the rear view mirror Laughing
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

This gauge from Aeromotive allows for pressure equalization to ensure accuracy.

Olli

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-15632/overview/
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

OH!!
and it has no peg.
perfect
daytonaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

Sweet, it got great reviews too.

If i my carter pump doesn't work out, i just found K&H makes one that got good reviews .

The Holley mighty something got bad reviews

Mr. Gasket also got bad reviews.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

daytonaone wrote:

If i my carter pump doesn't work out, i just found K&H makes one that got good reviews .

Interesting, I didn't catch those bad reviews (still haven't seen them, haven't gotten to 'em yet). But I did get a Mighty Mite and bench ran it with 40 IDFs and, needless to say, no hiccups yet. I will report back (in some thread or other) if I do end up with troubles.

By the way, are you running a fuel pump relay? I got the Revolution FP controller and it's way slick.
daytonaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
daytonaone wrote:

Interesting, I didn't catch those bad reviews (still haven't seen them, haven't gotten to 'em yet). But I did get a Mighty Mite and bench ran it with 40 IDFs and, needless to say, no hiccups yet. I will report back (in some thread or other) if I do end up with troubles.

By the way, are you running a fuel pump relay? I got the Revolution FP controller and it's way slick.

I saw the bad reviews on Amazon like 40% of 50 people who reviewed it gave it a one-star. Most of them claim that it failed after a few miles

Could be Amazon got a bad batch from Holly.

Personally I think the Hollywood looks a lot better makes for a cleaner installation.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

The "P60504" was made with 2 different country of mfg. One sucked completely, the other was good. The prices were not the same for the "same" pump, and I'll let you figure out why.

Shopping by price alone is a rookie mistake.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daytonaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The "P60504" was made with 2 different country of mfg. One sucked completely, the other was good. The prices were not the same for the "same" pump, and I'll let you figure out why.

Shopping by price alone is a rookie mistake.

I would not have expected carter to manufacure the the same pump withe same part number in 2 different countries. I am assuming you mean some were made in china and some in the US.

Ussually a there will be a variation on the part number.

I know when i order AC delco fuel pumps you can get the mexican made pump or the US made pump. The part number is different or there clearly labled mexican or US.

Do you have the p60504 pumps in stock?

I have noticed that most retailers are out of stock (summit, jegs, amazon, etc.) I was told by jegs that the pump was being replaced by a p90091 with no ETA from the manufacture.

For what its worth my box sayed made in USA but was damaged , i think got restock.

I still want to switch over just doing more research on options.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

we have roughly 20 pumps on the shelf

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daytonaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

I picked up a Holley mighty might 12-426 today at a local autoparts store and it works great.

It very quiet and my buggy runs great! Its made in usa and it looks good installed.

I check reviews from other sights on the mighty might and were very good. I think amazon reviews were due to a bad batch or chinese knock offs.

I will keep you posted if there are any issuse with it in the future, so far i am very happy with it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

The Holly branded version of the Facet...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

daytonaone wrote:
I picked up a Holley mighty might 12-426 today at a local autoparts store and it works great.

It very quiet and my buggy runs great! Its made in usa and it looks good installed.

I check reviews from other sights on the mighty might and were very good. I think amazon reviews were due to a bad batch or chinese knock offs.

I will keep you posted if there are any issuse with it in the future, so far i am very happy with it.

Wink Applause
daytonaone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
The Holly branded version of the Facet...

Dale

I didn't realize that, I noticed it is sold by K&N as well . I see faucet sells the replacment filters so thats cool.

Got a few miles on the buggy and it's running great nice and quiet too.

Greg
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

I've been having some difficulties after sandblasting the roof of my bus. Some glass bead has had me chasing a fuel delivery issue for months now. I replaced the Carter 4070 that I put in a couple of years ago, and sadly the new unit appears to be made in an undisclosed country where the old pump was made in USA. I wondered why the price was ~$50 instead of the ~$90 I was expecting.

The pump body and bracket are now plated silver rather than the old gold, and various stamping etc that the old unit had are no longer on the new units. The worst is the quality of the very small threads that mount the pump to the bracket through the rubber isolator grommets. The lock washers are different, slightly thicker and I struggled for 45 minutes to get the nuts started. With the poor threads, and inferior metallurgy I managed to strip one of the studs.

I'm not sure if it's just the newness of the pump but the sound is different, more of a hum rather than a buzz. I'm not sure if it is the pump or what but similar to the pump I removed, I'm reading ~1psi which I've checked on a small in-compartment (yes it's glycerin filled) gauge from mcmaster-carr (ambrose I think) as well as a snap-on diagnostic gauge. I also replaced the Holley regulator and it seems to have no effect. I'd like to see 4 psi on the gauge. I'm unsure whether these new parts are worse than the ones from a few years ago that I'm replacing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

I have only ever had issues with liquid filled gages.
Throw them away...

Get a good quality gage and only use it for setting up the system. take it back off when done.

You'll notice that the pressure is suddenly constant...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
I have only ever had issues with liquid filled gages.
Throw them away...

Get a good quality gage and only use it for setting up the system. take it back off when done.

You'll notice that the pressure is suddenly constant...

I will kind of agree with this. There are so many crappy gauges with no certifications made in 3rd world country's now....that unless you buy a good gauge from a known company with a "class" certification.....the chances are its crap.

20 years ago...liquid filled gauges were expensive and virtually all of them had the correct movement inside to be used with liquid filling and met certifications.

Over the past 15 years.....because liquid filled gauges have now become cheap (therefore meaning usually made somewhere in Asia) ....its actually harder to find a liquid filled gauge that is good quality than a dry gauge.

Concept wise....liquid filling should have no bearing on accuracy versus a dry gauge....if its built right in the first place. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

What would be considered a quality gauge? Say for fuel or oil pressure.

What brand? Seriously asking because it seems like everything out there is a $20-40 liquid filled gauge
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
What would be considered a quality gauge? Say for fuel or oil pressure.

What brand? Seriously asking because it seems like everything out there is a $20-40 liquid filled gauge

Give me till tomorrow afternoon. I have a list of gauge part numbers. I will dig it up ajd make sure which numbers are good. I often need gauges in my work....and for fuel injection tuning....you need a good one. It matters more on the older injection like CIS or D-jet. Less so on modern injection that has downstream sampling.

Really.....you need +/- 0.5 psi .....a spread of no more than 1.0 psi and accuracy of full range.

More in the am. Ray
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, looking for oil versus fuel if that helps
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter electric fuel pump low pressure? Reply with quote

The gauge I got from MacMaster-Carr was about $95 as I'd used several non liquid filled VDO brand gauges in there before and they failed on me. Glycerin filled is supposed to be ideal for applications where there is vibration. The gauge brand is Ashcroft, made in Brazil. It's said to have a B accuracy grade.

Again I did verify the in compartment gauge was reading correctly using a Snap-On non liquid filled diagnostic style gauge.

Monitoring the reading periodically the past few days with the Ashcroft liquid filled gauge I'm getting widely varying readings. Right now it reads about 1 psi, last night it was doing just under 4 where I want it, this morning it was at 3psi. It does seem to run better or worse corresponding with the reading.

I took out the in the tank sock filter last night as it is such a challenge to have to wait until I have less than a gallon of fuel in the tank to check it. Now relying only on external plastic 3/8" Wix paper filter and the screens on the banjos inlets of the Dells.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: