Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New car prices today, why so expensive?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

I would assume it's cheaper for the manufacturers to include AC as standard. 1. More volume equals lower per unit cost. 2. The costs involved for changing between non- AC and AC along with the costs to design both, maybe minimal, but still. Who wants a car without AC unless it has vent Windows as mentioned. And even then , it's not like it's cutting edge technology
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

My AC is only used for maybe 2 weeks out of a full year and then only in the early to mid afternoon. Mornings are generally not warm enough. The down side is the cost of maintenance and mileage loss for those few days that it is used.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Some of my customers have sick money. His fancy imported European car had the European radio frequencies in the homelink. Took it to the dealer to have the american version installed. Cost him over 1k because he just couldn't use a big ugly remote control.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
My AC is only used for maybe 2 weeks out of a full year and then only in the early to mid afternoon. Mornings are generally not warm enough. The down side is the cost of maintenance and mileage loss for those few days that it is used.

Loaned a friend with a Maita my Jetta for a few days. Jetta had A/C, Miata did not.
The magical difference between a car with A/C, and a car without A/C is how well the defroster works on cars with A/C.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Here in Indiana if I don't have the heat on, then the AC is on. Maintenance? Never done any on the AC.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Why do you need a new car? You still have your Ghia. Easy to work on. Cheap and plentiful parts. Join the elite fraternity of insane idiots who daily drive 50/60/70 year-old technology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Why do you need a new car? You still have your Ghia. Easy to work on. Cheap and plentiful parts. Join the elite fraternity of insane idiots who daily drive 50/60/70 year-old technology.

Very true, once it's rolling again maybe I can just use it while I repair the monte when it breaks, repairs are usually pretty quick and easy on the ghia
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

I "have" to have this $1200 washing machine because it's WiFi connected and i can control it from a app on my $1000 iPhone X.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I "have" to have this $1200 washing machine because it's WiFi connected and i can control it from a app on my $1000 iPhone X.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man that’s a first world problem
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

WiFi... Great, now it'll get hacked and your clothes won't be washed right
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Simply because society now can't be 'disconnected' or 'inconvienced' in any way shape or form.

There are cheap cars, but people don't like them. Not enough power, too small, not enough gadgets, etc.

A few examples of decent, cheap cars. Several of which are on the chopping block to stop being sold in the USA because everybody wants some gigantic SUV that could be mounted with a 50 cal chain gun and used in a warzone.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/mirage/2018 (13k)
https://www.ford.com/cars/fiesta/ (14k)
http://www.chevrolet.com/cars/spark-city-car (13k)
https://www.toyota.com/yaris/ (15k)
http://shop.honda.com/civics.aspx (18K)
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
WiFi... Great, now it'll get hacked and your clothes won't be washed right

I think it was a Lexus commercial that I saw, the lady said "Alexa start the car" and it did.

Great....now the burglar doesn't even have to find your keys. Just ask Alexa to start the car, and if it's too hot or cold he can even get the heat or A/C going.

Can't be having the gentleman robbing my house get into my non-climate controlled car to getaway with all my stuff Rolling Eyes
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Modern cars are designed aerodynamically to be low drag with windows closed. But with a window open, these cars have a deafening pulsating boom at freeway speeds, rendering them unusable without A/C. I've seen this in a dozen new cars. I think it goes hand-in-hand with the aerodynamics of new car design. This ends up making A/C mandatory for driver comfort and safety.

Best value is a used car, maybe a certified used car from a dealer, which have new car-like warranties.

These new "compact SUVs" are practical, but heaven forbid they get called "station wagons" which they truly ARE now... built on car chassis.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

IF you want your A/C to last you will want to turn your A/C on at least once a week for at least ten minutes to circulate Freon and refrigerant lubricant. Car or house A/C it doesn't matter. By doing this you will have kept your seals, POA valve, and compressor lubricated. Do this all year long especially in winter.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

We have 6 cars in the yard now with AC (you can't pick the options on a used car) and 2 of them the AC works. I have been quoted $1000 each just for a recharge, more if they need parts. That's $4000 for something I might use 6 times in a year.

Perhaps using them more often would help, most often they just lose their coolant charge. I suspect it happens in the winter when the cold shrinks the seals.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
We have 6 cars in the yard now with AC (you can't pick the options on a used car) and 2 of them the AC works. I have been quoted $1000 each just for a recharge, more if they need parts. That's $4000 for something I might use 6 times in a year.

Perhaps using them more often would help, most often they just lose their coolant charge. I suspect it happens in the winter when the cold shrinks the seals.

That's why you run the A/C once a week for a few minutes to keep the seals and the compressor lubricated no matter what time of year. Some factory owners manuals say to do this.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
That's why you run the A/C once a week for a few minutes to keep the seals and the compressor lubricated no matter what time of year. Some factory owners manuals say to do this.

In the winter, you could run it on the DEF setting. I think that accomplishes the same thing (i.e. uses the AC).

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Helfen wrote:

In the winter, you could run it on the DEF setting. I think that accomplishes the same thing (i.e. uses the AC).

Correct, Factory A/C is on when in the defrost setting. This is done because when the A/C is on it dehumidifies the air or takes the moisture out of the air and off your windows.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New car prices today, why so expensive? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Did you put in too many digits?
It's around $100 here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: