Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Re: Upcoming trip.. COMPLETED!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. COMPLETED! Reply with quote

Dates: May 20 - June 6th, 2018

Quest: To buy an accordion. Specifically an Irish 2 row button box for my wife, because every trip needs a goal.

Destination: The Button Box; Sunderland, Massachucetts

Route: northern MN into Canada, across Great Lakes on north side, back into US through New York. Return route unknown.

Occupants: Husband and Wife. Combined age 119 years. Husband missing a couple teeth and other body parts. Generally good health.

Vehicle: 31 year old Titan Red 1987 VW Westafalia camper, 4spd, cruise, Hankook RA18 tires, oil cooler, oil pressure & temp gauges. 230K miles, rusty & dented, engine and trans rebuilt by self. about 2500 miles since rebuild and all good so far.

Onboard Techonology: GPS, wireless backup camera, PCs with LTE modem, cell phones, BlueTooth hearing aids.

Distance: approx 4,000 miles- if the Lord is a willin' and the water don't rise.

Trip Motto: It is better to have traveled and lost than to have not traveled at all.

Patron Dashboard Saint: Hula Girl

Driving Food: Bagels, dried mangoes, pepitas, fizzy water, licorice, Lara Bars

Music Score: wind noise. no AC so windows open, elbows out and ready to greet the World. old cassette in glove box, "Shipwrecks of Lake Superior, by Fred Wolfe"

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Thu May 31, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

If I were doing this trip?

Grab your Passport, cross Wisconsin and go through Canada reentering the US into New York or Vermont.

If you do go the MN route reach out to Dave, dhaavers, and say Hi! Great guy!

Knowing the entire Chicago / I-80 cesspool of traffic ....... I'd avoid it.

If you've never been to Vermont or New Hampshire do take time to Explore Vermont's North East Kingdom and by all means do travel the Kancamagus Highway through the White Mountains! IMHO ..... A prettier drive you won't find on the Eastern Seaboard! (Scenery Rivals the Rockies)

Maine? Maine is great on the Coast, the interior is rather poverty stricken and run down.
Poland Spring Maine? The water ads make it seem absolutely lovely!
In real life? Keep driving, nothing to see here folks!

If you decide to Swing South on the way home, let me know, I'm an hour (non rush hour) out of NYC in the Rolling Highlands of N.J. (Beauty in NJ that most haven't a clue exists!) We've a place not far from Lancaster Pa too......

Have a great trip!

BTW, my Wife and I do beat you with a combined 126 years of life! Shocked

I do hope you figure out that you are headed to Western Massachusetts and not Maine........
That being said, the Berkshires are lovely........ James Taylor home territory. "Sweet Baby James" ......... Tangle wood ........

You'll need some Dave Loggins music too..... "Please Come to Boston"

Don't forget "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald for the Great Lakes region.

(When we travel we tend to connect songs with locations, I wired in Bluetooth to my old stock VW radio which allows us to do so using our iPhones)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun May 13, 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

Dan - reach out to me on PM for my NY coordinates

We have a place in the Finger Lakes that might make a nice stop, and Im based ALB NY area, with a spare house there too.

Many people have gotten ME and MA mixed up - especially on MA day.

Sunderland MA is about 2 hours from my ALB place. If you want a treat though, ditch the interstate, drive up through Petersburg Pass in third gear, then stop at the Clark Art Institute if Art is your thing. No soup cans there, the real deal.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

Note DAR State Park is 1/2 hr away and a good stop for camping the night before, or afterwards.

Enjoy - Rt 2 north of there is a very nice drive (east to West or vice versa
)
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I do hope you figure out that you are headed to Western Massachusetts and not Maine........
Dave

oh fer Pete's sake, i DO know we're going to Massachusetts and thanks for the catch! initial post edited to partially erase my error for posterity.

thanks for the road tips. not sure where all we'll end up, we tend to play things by ear tho i really like having a few good roads/destinations researched ahead of time.

Abscate- thanks for the tip about Petersburg Pass, i'll look at that and the Clark Art Institute. PM ya shortly.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

Well, you've got us beat at 108 combined years and I'm 6 years older than my youthful wifey. I like this metric - would be fun to hear about others.

Sounds like fun and you reminded me to install the Hula Girl I've been saving in the closet for the "right" car. Got her in Hawaii 23 years ago before I knew I'd fall in love with a Vanagon.

Trip tip: Bring a roll of paper towels and a foaming ammonia based glass cleaner like NAPA's for those heavy buggy areas. You'll often find yourself needing to clean the windshield a couple times LONG before you need gas.

Have a blast!!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

oh fer Pete's sake, i DO know we're going to Massachusetts and thanks for the catch! initial post edited to partially erase my error for posterity.

thanks for the road tips. not sure where all we'll end up, we tend to play things by ear tho i really like having a few good roads/destinations researched ahead of time.

Abscate- thanks for the tip about Petersburg Pass, i'll look at that and the Clark Art Institute. PM ya shortly.

That's that same Route 2 someone posted about up top - Its not a mountain like you guys out west have, just a big Hill. Its gorgeous in the summer.

You drop down in to Williamstown MA, where the Clark is, an incredible collection of art put there to be safe from Nuclear Armageddon, and then Route 2 continues over the hills to 91 where you can drop down into Sunderland.

Will take longer, but much nicer drive.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

If you're an art guy, Stockbridge has a great Norman Rockwell museum.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

A nice path West is to drop down to the Panhandle of West Virginia, US40/I-68 eventually pick up US 50, a fantastic largely empty highway. Good speeds but not the crazies of the Interstates!
This route swings South of the hellish traffic.

Believe me when I say that you do NOT want to do I-80 west Of Pennsylvania!
I-70 is better but still.....

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Sun May 13, 2018 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

Trip tip: Bring a roll of paper towels and a foaming ammonia based glass cleaner like NAPA's for those heavy buggy areas.

ayup. paper towel holder with Bondo putty scraper restraint to keep the wind from unrolling the towels when driver's window is open! other essential paper stashed for quick access. and of course chili pepper lights.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

ayup. paper towel holder with Bondo putty scraper restraint to keep the wind from unrolling the towels when driver's window is open! other essential paper stashed for quick access. and of course chili pepper lights.

Genius! Thanks for posting that!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

Great idea!

I always keep a roll behind the drivers seat along with a can of SprayWay Glass cleaner.

By the time I hit the Pacific, they're both empty! Though this past trip in October was more salt and road slop than bugs......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

Enjoy the drive!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I always keep a roll behind the drivers seat along with a can of SprayWay Glass cleaner.

Ha! That's EXACTLY what's in the bin behind my driver's seat, reachable when sitting in the border lineup, etc. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

If doing Superior's north shore, and like remote, and trains, I know of an amazing little amphitheater site right on the lake and a couple hundred feet from the track. I have a scenic photo of the lake view but would have to email it.

Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park is neat, and Pukaskwa National Park sublime.

If doing Northern Wisconsin, Copper Falls is lovely as is the Yooper -- but you likely know all this being in your 'hood.

Good time of year, have a ball.

Oh: per "local color," will be green with envy if you meet Dhaavers before I do. He'll know where to go 'round there, too.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

i know we all have individual levels of preparedness when taking a trip. my son goes with nothing and no preparation but it adaptable to whatever happens. i'm the total opposite and want to control the outcome. not sure which is better. here's my worksheet for this trip, the "task list" section is completed!

task list:
heater core front
wiper lube
grounds
12 v socket
headlight relay
fan resistor mod
rear brakes
oil cooler
transaxle filter oil
adjust shifter
rear heater core
screens – ordered
slider screen
mount air horn
headlights clean w/ bulbs
poptop seal, glaze
headlight buzzer
oil change
rotate tires
gear oil change

Trip to Bring:
oil cooler o-ring
rear brake cylinder + kit + hose
voltage regulator
dash bulbs
headlight bulbs
oil filter
fuel filter
spare fuel pump
front brake caliper kit
brake bolt kit
rear wheel bearing + seals
CV bolts, washers, joint, boot, + grease tube
oil hose?
oil senders
ignition switch
coil
ECU
belts 2 - NAPA 25 7435
bolt baggie
alternator
fuel pump + line + regulator
fuel manifold
spark plugs
spare injector + some hose + clamps
extra FI relays, cooling relay
valve cover gaskets
front/rear heater valve
ignition switch
fuses
couple push rod tubes?
coolant sensor

Tools:
trans wrench – 17mm nut + ratchet wrench
axle wrench
allens
hose clamp wrench
long allen for CV
meter
FI tester + noids
wire jumper baggie
manual
electrical connectors/fuses/crimper/wire
jumper cables
tow strap
wheel chock
brake flare wrench 7/11 mm
silicone tape/sealant/epoxy
"tools"
IR thermometer
air compressor/tire kit

Supplies:
Anti Freeze
Brake fluid
oil
general grease red amsoil
CV grease packet/tube
RainX
rubber gloves

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sun May 13, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i know we all have individual levels of preparedness when taking a trip. my son goes with nothing and no preparation but it adaptable to whatever happens. i'm the total opposite and want to control the outcome. not sure which is better. here's my worksheet for this trip, the "task list" section is completed!

task list:
heater core front
wiper lube
grounds
12 v socket
headlight relay
fan resistor mod
rear brakes
oil cooler
transaxle filter oil
adjust shifter
rear heater core
screens – ordered
slider screen
mount air horn
headlights clean w/ bulbs
poptop seal, glaze
headlight buzzer
oil change
rotate tires
gear oil change

Trip to Bring:
oil cooler o-ring
rear brake cylinder + kit + hose
voltage regulator
dash bulbs
headlight bulbs
oil filter
fuel filter
spare fuel pump
front brake caliper kit
brake bolt kit
rear wheel bearing + seals
CV bolts, washers, joint, boot, + grease tube
oil hose?
oil senders
ignition switch
coil
ECU
belts 2 - 24750
bolt baggie
alternator
fuel pump + line + regulator
fuel manifold
spark plugs
spare injector + some hose + clamps
extra FI relays, cooling relay
valve cover gaskets
front/rear heater valve
ignition switch
fuses
couple push rod tubes?
coolant sensor

Tools:
trans wrench – 17mm nut + ratchet wrench
axle wrench
allens
hose clamp wrench
long allen for CV
meter
FI tester + noids
wire jumper baggie
chains
manual
CV allen socket
electrical connectors/fuses/crimper/wire
jumper cables
tow strap
wheel chock
brake flare wrench 7/11 mm
silicone tape/sealant/epoxy
"tools"
IR thermometer
air compressor/tire kit

Supplies:
Anti Freeze
Brake fluid
oil
general grease red amsoil
CV grease packet/tube
RainX
rubber gloves

Holy Crap! We're Brothers from a different Mother! Laughing

Have you been peeking in my Van?

I must ask though........
No water pump?
No accelerator cable?
Front Wheel bearings and seal?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

there's some omissions that i haven't kept up with on the list..

- yes, a spare Graf water pump!

- my throttle cable is brand new. i have a spare but the nylon sheath is cracked in two in one spot and not sure it is worth bringing.

- my front wheels bearings are new, i don't *think* i have a spare new set but i suppose i could clean up an old set and stick that in. bringing a new seal of course. Rock Auto had a clearance on Vanagon parts a while back and i bought all sorts of name brand seals, brake caliper rebuild kits, rear cyl kits, etc for just a few dollars each.

- also spare O2 sensor.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

That’s a lot of stuff compared to my modestly prepared standards.

And be careful crossing the border with the “bolt” baggie. Very Happy Cool Wink

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip.. Reply with quote

Regional food: if your trip takes you through Binghamton NY stop for a spidie (various marinated, grilled meats on a roll with various other ingredients in bewildering combinations) and if you get to eastern Massachusetts go to Ipswich (north of Boston) to the Clam Box. Get the clams. Lobster rolls in Maine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: