Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this crankshaft?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

I am not a Porsche guy, I was going to use this as a stroker in a 36hp block. Now I am going stock. Any way, I think this is a 74mm stroke crank from a 356. Anyone know what it is exactly?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

you forgot (or edited out) this pic:

regardless of what it fits, it looks like scrap to me.
356pre-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

8 dowels = that used to be in a 356, but looks like it's ready for its next phase in life as a book stand or lamp post.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

Can be fixed, modok comes to mind as one who could do it. The corrosion is a problem too and may clean up with a re-grind or could be welded up. It is good that the pins are no longer in it.

These 912/SC cranks have become very valuable and the cost to fix it would be a good investment. First thing would be to mag-it to see if it is junk or not.

Dan
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

swanlakers wrote:
Anyone know what it is exactly?
Native to the 356 SC and/or 912.
Dan Ruddock wrote:
First thing would be to mag-it to see if it is junk or not.
Better to 1st throw a mic on those journals. If serviceable, mag it after running a new/good gland nut in there to see what's left of the threads: they can be chased w/ a tap if Mr. Gland nut binds-up.
Remainder of the damage is at times repairable w/ 8 oversize dowels & some simple lathe work. No guarantees, tho.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChopperDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

Looks like a Counterweighted 356/912 crank. I think 63 and up if I am not mistaken. It’s in better shape than mine. While my Dowels look like new the crankshaft is now in two pieces where it should be one.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

Any "to be continued" on this thread? Would actually be very interesting to read how it finally ended.....

Have actually what seems being an identical one, with even an identical issue, also punched R 161 02 01 501 and with measurements of the main bearing journal # 2 and 3 of 54.990 mm and the #1 main bearing journal of 49.991 mm it looks like being 1600 C and SC crankshaft, valuable someone pointed out?
Price to fix this "little problem" is minimum $500 according to the price proposition I received.

P.S. What is it with these cranks, are they on strike? Sad

Dennis
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

dose yours have the deep rust pits the other one has. you guys need to check the classified under crankshaft. there's one for 300.00 needs reground i'd sure shop around before I thought about putting any money into one with bad pin holes and needing a regrind.
Jay D.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is this crankshaft? Reply with quote

badsix wrote:
dose yours have the deep rust pits the other one has. you guys need to check the classified under crankshaft. there's one for 300.00 needs reground i'd sure shop around before I thought about putting any money into one with bad pin holes and needing a regrind.
Jay D.

Thanks for the heads up, I´m of course not going to invest over $500 into a crank that´s not even needed, just laying around in my cellar for decades, on the other hand doesn´t need regrind as it has either been done long, long back in time, or has still been that nice when lifted out of the engine.
Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: