Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank fittings
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank fittings Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the thread size for the fuel fitting on the bottom of the tank on a 70 model stock tank? Thanks.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank fittings Reply with quote

What are you trying to do.... The actual fitting seems to be proprietary to VW and you will not find anything at FLAPS or Big Box store that will work....There is a AN style fitting that is made to connect to gas tank, sells anywhere from about $9 to $20 depending where you find it.... Other resolution is to abandon the VW nut and tap bung on tank to 1/4 NPT and go with standard run of the mill brass fitting from FLAPS or Big Box....

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-298-221-113A

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-201-209-6

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-201-209-8

More details would help...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank fittings Reply with quote

Whatever fitting you so with, make sure it'll fit between your tank and the center tunnel of the pan.

On my street bug I installed a "bolt on" AN -6 adapter. It screws onto the stock gas tank bung and has a male -6 on it. To connect from the tank to my fuel pump I went with a -6 hose with a 90* end on it. As I lowered the tank into the car, the 90* fitting hit the tunnel and the tank needed to go down another 3/16" of an inch. As a "quick" fix I shimmed the tank up 1/2".

I used some 1/2" x 1/2" oak or similar wood stock from the fine woods section at Lowe's. I guess cabinet guys use this stuff for something. I basically framed all around the opening the tank rests in, then set the tank in place. I used the same stock clamps to hold it, but with longer bolts. Worked like a champ.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank fittings Reply with quote

What I am trying to do is get a quality fuel shut off. I have a tube chassis so there are no obstructions. I was thinking about a Harley-Davidson fuel petcock setup for shut off and reserve. I had a small shut off in line but it leaked in the on position and made a great mess. I don't mind doing a little welding on the tank if necessary, it scares the hell out of my neighbor! I was also wondering about putting a vent w/filter or on the highest point of the tank. I had researched a long time before I posted here. It's nice getting help from the pros.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank fittings Reply with quote

Here is a fitting for the tank that come in -6 or -8 from CB Performance.
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3288.htm

What I do myself is tap the outlet 1/4" NPT on the inside then use a 1/4" Street elbow to a short nipple and use a 1/4" shut off valve. And then use either a 1/4 or 5/16" hose slip on fitting.
The hardware can be found at most hardware store such as ACE, Home Depot, etc....
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank fittings Reply with quote

I also tapped the inside of my outlet with a 1/4 NPT tap.
I then used a 1/4 inch Brass Tee for my FI feed line and return.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can just either plug the other side of the tee or use a 90. Install one of any available 1/4 inch shutoff valves and you can hook your hose to that.

I removed the brass nipples and converted to JIC -8 with swivel nipple and a JIC-4 nipple on the return side for easy plugging when I remove the tank.
I have a bunch of plugs and caps in those sizes so I can be leak free when I remove the tank.
It just needs to be a little under half full and when I tip it up to remove the hoses the fuel level is below the outlet.

If you do end up tapping the inside then tap a little at a time checking the clocking of the fitting you are installing. You don't want to get too deep or have it tighten in the wrong spot.
It is a taper after all.......

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: