Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Where can I get some SB12 headlight rings repaired and re-chromed?

Tried the search and came up with nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Ogden Chrome and Bumper is popular.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Called and got a quote. $300 each Shocked

Anyone know of a cheaper route?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

risk wrote:

Plating shops usually charge by the batch...two parts are probably the same price as twenty. I was once quoted $300 to refinish a single horn ring. If the parts need any pre-plating work (dent removal, pitting repair, etc) the price escalates pretty quickly. Most shops won't even bother with orders of two or three small parts like headlight rings.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

risk wrote:
hitest wrote:

Called and got a quote. $300 each Shocked

Yes- an Eastwood home kit. The results are exactly as apart as having it done professionally. Welcome to the world of EPA- reportable Chroming.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

No way Id pay 600 bucks just to have purdy shiny status rings with a logo.. on a econobox VW.

IMO.. unless you need concourse perfect .. Id simply be patient and watch the classifieds and ebay.. place a want ad like all the rest searching for them. ..
Nice singles pop up time to time.. snooze ya loose..

You can always upgrade each time you find a nice one.. sell off the less than perfect ones

Also.. scavenge swap meets outside the VW world.

Check Hemmings Motor News for companies that offer plating services..

I found a damn near perfect pair of SB12's buried in a box of Porsche parts at an American car swap meet .. only one small ding at the bottom on one.. the other.. perfect..

I used them for a while on my 67...now... hoarded them away.. with the rest of my jewels.. Cool

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

That price is not realistic. I got quoted locally $800 to redo a full set of early bumpers. So $600 for two headlight rings? I don`t think so.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Honestly, I just rubbed my eyes and re-read the "each" part. Yes, $600 is atrocious ! Standing down... Smile

FU#5
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Maybe their batch minimum is $600. Maybe call and discuss a bit more. Not apples to apples exactly, but I was looking into having some parts anodized a few years back. Like chrome, they do them in batches. So I could get up to 10 parts per color done for a set fee. If this is he case with chroming perhaps look for some others that want to go in with you and get a batch done. I have a buddy of mine locally looking to get some small parts rechromed as well. I’m sure he isn’t the only one.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Well I have one nice one on my car and one that is so-so.. Also have another pair of them that are fair.. dings, scratches etc.

I was thinking I could get all 4 re-chromed, then sell of the extra set to pay for the chroming..

I will call a few more places and keep shopping..

I saw a post a while back where a samba member had some redone.. was hoping he would chime in but now I can't find the thread.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

risk wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, What is a SB12?

Thanks

Bug On with shiny parts!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
risk wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, What is a SB12?

Thanks

Maybe we'll just excuse your laziness.. Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Their base metal is brass, so a good metal finisher should be able to work out any small dings prior to chroming.

The big problem with them is you have to be careful not to buff out the SB12 lettering when doing so. In addition, any copper plating needed to fill pits will also fill in the lettering making it shallower.

A friend/member Zwitter had some done for his 67, pretty sure he used Al Reed. Recall they did just that to his, buffed the letters out so he had to send them back. IIRC they had to re-engrave the letters and charged him a bunch more money to do over.

Maybe the word has gotten out amongst the plating community and $300ea is the norm?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Yup be careful plating sb-12s. Have them make the stamping deeper or else it disappears. There was an article about it on 1967beetle.com .
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

Try Sihilling Metal Polishing in Santa Ana. Charlie takes great care with those light bezels with stamped logos. And he doesn't charge anywhere near those figures quoted above.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SB12 Headlight Ring Restoration Service? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
risk wrote:

Plating shops usually charge by the batch...two parts are probably the same price as twenty. If the parts need any pre-plating work (dent removal, pitting repair, etc) the price escalates pretty quickly. Most shops won't even bother with orders of two or three small parts like headlight rings.

Chrome plating by the batch? Highly doubtful. Each piece needs to be treated individually, hence each piece is priced differently.

Anodize, Black Oxide & Cadium can be plated by the batch.

https://www.artisticsilverplating.com
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: