Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water in distributor cap? Bad?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

A question for you guys. When I took the distributor out. I tipped it over and water came out of the cap. The top part where the wires go in I know it got in from some bad rain that hit a few days ago but is this bad for the cap, the wires, the rotor? Anything in the dist. That could have been affected?
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Water is conductive so it can cause a misfire or ground out the spark, it can also cause corrosion, just as bad but takes longer.

Dry it all out and keep an eye on it in the future, a dab of silicone grease in each hole before you insert the wire will help as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Might affect your points (if you have points still). Not permanently, just while there is moisture inside. Just let it dry out. It should be fine.

Edit: Don't drive it while its still wet. Might cause misfires. But it'll dry.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

I assume it rains in the summer where you live. You might want to be proactive and get a new set of wires with new rubber boots. And, as stated, put a little dielectric grease in the boots.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Yes it rains, I just got these wires too ugh!
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

What brand are they. New boots should be nice and tight.

You can also buy a distributor cap cover that seals the top.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

You must have got a hold of some pretty crappy wires. On my Baja, with no engine cover, I have never gotten water around the wires, and it sits outside 24/7.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Old Baja off-road trick for water proofing, grab a can of hairspray and apply to cap and wires after it’s all together. It seals and water will roll right off use two coats maybe three. Also adds a shine mask off the areas you don’t want oversprayed. 😀
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
What brand are they. New boots should be nice and tight.

You can also buy a distributor cap cover that seals the top.

Tim

I wanna say they were WW but i have no idea, but new ones my dad bought 5 to 10 years back? Its 30 bucks for a new set from WW, and I need to order a few clips and little things so I add them to my order.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Hmmm let’s see 30 bucks for the wires or 3 bucks for hairspray or maybe free if your mom’s uses it..... lol 😂
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Take the distributor out with the cap & wires attached, turn it upside down & dip it in plastidip to just below where the cap seats to the distributor, INSTANT water proofing boot.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Take the distributor out with the cap & wires attached, turn it upside down & dip it in plastidip to just below where the cap seats to the distributor, INSTANT water proofing boot.

That would work too but if you have 30 bucks to throw down Maybe that’s the way. None of this surprises me anymore😀 here’s what we know for sure, most of what the oldtimers recommend are tried and true. It goes in one ear and out the other, but hey experience is the best teacher and school is in session.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

I dont think its a problem, Personally id rather have the right wires that properly seal. LOL
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

That would work too but if you have 30 bucks to throw down Maybe that’s the way. None of this surprises me anymore😀 here’s what we know for sure, most of what the oldtimers recommend are tried and true. It goes in one ear and out the other, but hey experience is the best teacher and school is in session.

Personally, Plastidip is more available than hairspray, but hey, if you're still using Aquanet & you have it on hand, be my guest. Just putting another idea out there.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114979

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114979

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Which is the same thing as the Plastidip with the exception that you don't have to fight trying to stretch that boot kit over wire ends, distributor cap, & coil.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

I’d like to have 30 dollars in my pocket. 😀
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Personally, Plastidip is more available than hairspray, but hey, if you're still using Aquanet & you have it on hand, be my guest. Just putting another idea out there.

Available? Shit man there’s a Walgreens or CVS on every corner. They might even carry plasti dip too. 😀
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

Water can cause corrosion in the dizzie internals. get it all dried out asap. WD 40 can be used, but make sure you clean up the wd 40 from the points with an oil free solvent. points dont like any oil on the contacts, it burns and arcs. but flodding the rest of the dizzie with wd 40 wont harm anything, it will help remove the water. then drive to heat it up.

good luck, stay dry, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Water in distributor cap? Bad? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Water can cause corrosion in the dizzie internals. get it all dried out asap. WD 40 can be used, but make sure you clean up the wd 40 from the points with an oil free solvent. points dont like any oil on the contacts, it burns and arcs. but flodding the rest of the dizzie with wd 40 wont harm anything, it will help remove the water. then drive to heat it up.

good luck, stay dry, Bug On!

Well, that sounds like a 'long way around' solution.

Just set it out in the sun, hang between two cheap "clamp utility lights" or place in oven on low (heat it up and dry it out)

Then replace those old plug wires, wouldn't hurt to have a new cap if also that old too
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: