Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

About a month ago I replaced some AutoCraft 1.25s in my 2276 with new CB forged 1.3s. Some might remember the thread. I was quite pleased with the installation and geometry setup in that no shims were required under the stands and only minimal side play shimming was needed. I had new ACN HD tapered aluminum pushrods cut to fit and all was well.....I thought.

I put about 250 miles on the set up and decided to check the wear patterns on the rockers and pushrods. Much to my dismay, I found pitting on several of the rocker arm swipes. The wear patterns were good on both the lash caps and the rocker arms. No pitting or discoloration on the lash caps.

I contacted CB. After a couple of days of answering their questions via email they asked me to send the set back for "testing". A week later they replied stating that the rocker arms had been heat treated properly and they could not figure out what had happened. Rather than send me a new set they said they'd rather refund my money, which they did immediately. They said that if they sent me another set of rockers they would be just like the set I had returned.

Understand that this thread is not about flaming CB. As far as customer service, they did a good job. What is in question here is what the hell happened? If any of you guys have seen this before I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Just as a note: I run Amsoil Signature 5w30...have for years...through a Berg blueprinted 30mm. Oil pressure is 15lbs at hot idle and 45lbs at cruise rpm.
I used Crane Cam moly assembly lube on all wear points on the rocker arms at assembly. I used the AutoCraft lash caps as they looked and fit much better than the CB caps(again, they are smooth as a mirror...no pitting)

Thanks for your expertise!

Here's a pic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

I have heard good things about scat rockers. Mark at CB told me the whole rocker is heat treated on the 1.3’s but on the 1.4’s only tips are treated. All this stuff is made in China and that is part of the problem. Dan
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Thanks Dan....I think you're right, Scats are next up.
Just bothering not to have a definitive answer on the CB failure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Just curious what do you have your idle RPM set at? What valve springs are you using? What cam?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Thanks for catching that. I have a set of new 1.3s I need to take a look at now. Cb carries and produces top notch parts. No doubt they are inspecting that last batch. Scat rocker assemblies are always a good pick.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

The problem is heat treat, period.
Nevertheless you had an awesome set of rockers on the engine before, IIRC there was a slight bearing problem, but how many miles did they run before that happened? What was the reason to change them out vs repair?
Me...I would have fixed the Autocraft rockers and moved on, set up and shimmed correctly they work great. I have a set on my car from 1992, still going, original parts. Maybe you had some other problem happen?
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Just curious what do you have your idle RPM set at? What valve springs are you using? What cam?

Idle is 750 rpm. I've not been able to identify the cam. It was in the ARPM case when I bought the car 10 years ago. It is marked W3700.
The springs are duals. .100 clearance between coils at full lift.

Last edited by norris on Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

SRP1 wrote:
The problem is heat treat, period.
Nevertheless you had an awesome set of rockers on the engine before, IIRC there was a slight bearing problem, but how many miles did they run before that happened? What was the reason to change them out vs repair?
Me...I would have fixed the Autocraft rockers and moved on, set up and shimmed correctly they work great. I have a set on my car from 1992, still going, original parts. Maybe you had some other problem happen?

I replaced the AutoCraft rockers because of bearing problems at 3000 miles. I did replace the bearings(all of them). I was still worried about the bearings so I replaced them with the CBs.
I've since reinstalled the AutoCrafts. The geometry on them is perfect. The swipes are perfectly smooth.
Think I can trust the new bearings? Thought I'd run them a while and then check them again. I'd really hate to have needle bearings in my sump! I caught them the first time they failed(2 of them) before they came completely apart.

SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Well that looks like an oiling problem, or the side play was to tight.
The Autocraft rockers need to run a just little loose, side play about .002-.003" and they need a little lash when cold. Reason being is they dont have the oiling galley that runs up the middle of the adjuster to the shaft, so they splash oil instead. Also if you run zero cold lash because your running chromoly push rods, then you have no splash oiling until the engine is up to temp and the lash opens up. Hence the bearing starves for oil.
Nothing wrong with splash oiling at all, many components of the engine are splash oiled, look at the cam, distributor drive, and wrist pins, all splash oiled.
I think the problem comes when things get set to tight and become starved for oil or expansion crom heat closes clearances and parts begin to seize. Again all heat/oil related, run it just a little loose and it will run years, makes for a little more noisy valve train but thats not a problem.

Last edited by SRP1 on Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Pitting points to high stress, high pressures. Have you looked for any signs of valve float? Have you had a peek at the lifters?
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Another pic

norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Pitting points to high stress, high pressures. Have you looked for any signs of valve float? Have you had a peek at the lifters?

No valve float. Engine is still in the car, so can't really see the lifters. Lifters should be fine as the AutoCraft rocker arms that I had in the car before I installed the CBs are showing zero wear.

The concern in question here is why the new CB rocker arm swipes pitted like they did in 250 miles if they were heat treated correctly as CB says they were.

The rocker arms(AutoCrafts) that were in the car before and after the CBs show no wear.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

With single valve springs I set the idle RPM at 800-850. With dual springs I set it at 950-1000 RPM. I personally feel it needs to be this high to get the proper oiling to the rockers.

CB knows what the problem is they just don't want to tell you.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
With single valve springs I set the idle RPM at 800-850. With dual springs I set it at 950-1000 RPM. I personally feel it needs to be this high to get the proper oiling to the rockers.

I didn't know that Dave. I've always been proud of a really low, smooth idle....maybe I should raise it.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Thanks for catching that. I have a set of new 1.3s I need to take a look at now. Cb carries and produces top notch parts. No doubt they are inspecting that last batch. Scat rocker assemblies are always a good pick.

When did you purchase yours? I have a set waiting too install also.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Maybe they dont like your lash caps.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

I think if you don't see the tips black from flame heat treat like the CB 1.4's you might have a problem. I believe both 1.3 and 1.4 scats have the blackened tips.

Dan
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I like 1000 rpms also. Its true this might help oiling. However, his Autocrafts survived the low rpms, same cam/spring pressures a lot better then the CB's. With only 250 miles and the quick wear, its suspect for something else going on.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I think if you don't see the tips black from flame heat treat like the CB 1.4's you might have a problem. I believe both 1.3 and 1.4 scats have the blackened tips.

Dan

Also interesting point. The CB 1:4's actually have CB cast into them, and have the Heat treat evident. The CB 1:3's have no discoloration on the tips, and do not have CB cast into them. Yet they both are the exact same price of $232. In the CB 1:4 ad, they say "and also come in 1:3 ratio" which leads us to believe they are the same style/quality rocker.

I love CB, and I know that nobodys perfect. Would be nice to help everyone make these work though. Be it installer or Manufacturer.

jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: CB forged 1.3s....I need your take on this... Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
jfats808 wrote:

When did you purchase yours? I have a set waiting too install also.

2 years ago. Man I totally forgot to look last night. Guess I got something to do today after work. Lol.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: