Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st Bug- 71
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

I bought my first bug this past weekend. It’s a 71, was told it was a Super but the numbers say otherwise- starts with 111: At least the number plates all match. I’ve attached a pic of the engine, obviously a rebuild but missing hoses. I don’t know much about VWs yet so I will have to learn as I go. I started simple by cleaning out the fresh air box and already have to order some items for my fan. This is going to be fun but a huge learning curve.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Alright! Looking good! What does the car look like?

1 goes to 3.
2 goes to carbon filter under rear passenger fender.
4 is a preheat for warm air.

However, I am fairly certain that air cleaner is the wrong one, but is more right than other options.

Good luck and have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Congrats!! Love to see some pictures of the whole car!
I'll go ahead and say, that's the wrong air cleaner for your year model, that's why some of that doesn't look right. Your 71 would have had an air cleaner with a wax pellet thermostat, and connections for the preheat hose and evaporator canister under the right rear fender. It would look like this (borrowed from the gallery):

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Buttercupp wrote:
I bought my first bug this past weekend. It’s a 71, was told it was a Super but the numbers say otherwise- starts with 111: At least the number plates all match.

71 and 72 super beetle used the same VIN numbering as a standard beetle, so 111 is correct. Easiest way to tell for sure is to look in the trunk, if the spare tire lies flat, its a super beetle, in a standard beetle the spare sits upright.
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate the help. And....the spare is laying flat so I do have a Super!!! It was originally shantug yellow, paint code still in the trunk, but it has been recently painted with a slight two tone yellow. It has a factory sunroof and the original headliner. It needs cleaned up a little but in surprisingly good shape.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

That looks to be in pretty $%^&*(&^$#@$#%^$ good shape !!!

My 1971 is a Super too, but a Convertible.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Congrats! That bug looks great. It looks to be well maintained. The engine bay is nice looking.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

That's a NICE BUG!!!

I like the Bus in the background too!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Flat-window Super, with factory sunroof, nice!!
'69 Bug
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Congrats on your '71 ! It's a super super. My Shantung beetle was nicknamed Buttercup by a dear friend- it fits perfectly. They just might run into eachother someday if you go to shows in Utah. Here's mine:

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

I love the little rain guard on your front vent. And your back windows are awesome. Are they aftermarket?
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

New question- I took apart my fresh air box and took the motor apart and cleaned it up. It looks and smells much better. The snapped together vent covers that surround the intake hose and connect them to the box are missing. I can’t find replacements on any websites. What material is recommended for creating new ones?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

If you want them bad enough, new ones are available: https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/1-sound-proofing...030562.htm

You can make new ones out of standard paper or aluminum fresh air hoses formed to fit, or if you want to stick with the noise muffling feature of the originals you can use insulation or sisal padding.
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Thanks Mukluk. I couldn’t find those things anywhere.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Buttercupp wrote:
I love the little rain guard on your front vent. And your back windows are awesome. Are they aftermarket?

I've been collecting Formula Vee accessories like a nutcase. I have more, but have limited myself to avoid an overboard accessorized look. Smile The front scoop over the hood vent is a rarish FV part. The rear pop outs are really commonly-found VW units. They are easily installed on your car too. Any sunroof car should have those as mandatory! They greatly reduce the buffeting that deafens you on the freeway with the roof open.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

I need help identifying something in my engine compartment. It’s the silver thing on the left side. It looks like it should have a line or hose on the bottom barb?
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

I need help identifying something in my engine compartment. It’s the silver thing on the left side. It looks like it should have a line or hose on the bottom barb?
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641344&highlight=altitude+compensator
Buttercupp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Thank you for the link. Apparently the previous owner removed all the hoses they could while still allowing the engine to run. So far this makes number 6 and 7. Glad they sell it by the meter!
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bug- 71 Reply with quote

Should you ever decide to get the correct distributor for your carburetor , you can even add another one for the vacuum advance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: