Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

I'm driving my newly finished bus from Florida to Pennsylvania at the end of the month. I'd like to know shops along the I-95 Corridor that y'all use and trust. The bus is a basically all new. The motor has about 700 miles on it and so far all is well. Just in case I have an issue, it would be cool to have data on reliable shops without having to "guess" where to take it should I need a hand. Thanks for your time.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

Well, there is this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/index.php
Tony356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

Thanks. I was hoping for actual user experience with shops. In addition, 505 shops is a lot to go through on the side of the road.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

There is the AIRS (aircooled intersate rescue squad) list, don't know how active it still is.
Search here, I believe there was some effort being made to rebuild it.

If the bus is in good shape, a fanbelt, basic tools, clutch and acelerator cables, some basic spares, cell phone, aaa rv plus for the 100 mile tow, cell phone and some cash can get you far.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

Are you really taking I-95 for the trip? Wouldn't be my choice of routes with trucks and cars tearing past you at 80 mph.

If you find yourself on Rt. 29 heading through central and northern Virginia, Skyline Auto Restoration & Repair in Madison, VA can fix you up.

(540) 948-5511. Owner is Grant.

Good luck!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

Tony356 wrote:
505 shops is a lot to go through on the side of the road.
I think the better idea is to find shops that will be near your route before you leave, not while you are on the side of the road Idea
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Are you really taking I-95 for the trip? Wouldn't be my choice of routes with trucks and cars tearing past you at 80 mph.!

Where in PA? How much of a hurry are you in?
I'd be considering Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and stay west rather than 95, but that makes it a way longer drive. Or map your ride. Stay east and avoid interstates. You will get to see way more stuff than the monotony of 95. I did Topsail Island to Ct via 2 lanes and via bay bridge tunnel to eastern shore, and stopped at the Dog fish head brewery in Del. For dinner.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: I-95 Corridor Air-cooled VW Shops Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
rcroane wrote:
Are you really taking I-95 for the trip? Wouldn't be my choice of routes with trucks and cars tearing past you at 80 mph.!

Where in PA? How much of a hurry are you in?
I'd be considering Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and stay west rather than 95, but that makes it a way longer drive. Or map your ride. Stay east and avoid interstates. You will get to see way more stuff than the monotony of 95. I did Topsail Island to Ct via 2 lanes and via bay bridge tunnel to eastern shore, and stopped at the Dog fish head brewery in Del. For dinner.

This. Some of my most enjoyable times driving were on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and also driving the Outer Banks. Very Happy

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: