Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overall dimensions-moving trailer
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Overall dimensions-moving trailer Reply with quote

I don't have access to my car at the moment, and I just took a new job that requires me to move 300+ miles in the next two weeks....

Relocating the Thing to warmer weather, but because the car only has a bimi top, I either need to look for a window of good weather and make a second trip for it, or find an enclosed trailer to haul it down with. Uhaul will rent me a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer I'm thinking I may be able to squeeze it into.

The door is only 5ft wide though, so not sure I can get it in there. I only have 4' 10" or height, but that shouldn't be an issue if I fold down the top and drop the windshield. Actual usable length is 11' 7". Can someone make a quick measurement of their car, or anyone tried to do this before? Laughing
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Overall dimensions-moving trailer Reply with quote

Greetings. I haul my car in an enclosed trailer. Mine is 8.5 x 16. Granted I could be a bit shorter, but I think you will have challenges on putting it in their enclosed trailer. Good luck
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Overall dimensions-moving trailer Reply with quote

I once had a car delivered to me in a moving van. The guy went to the lumber yard and bought 2x12's. He screwed these together to form a two layer thick ramp to get the car in and out. He supported the middle of the ramps with jack stands. Inside the trailer, he bolted a frame of 2x6's to which he mounted an electric winch to the floor. It looked kind of sketchy, but it was actually very effective.

If I was moving my topless thing, I'd just remove the seats and battery and trailer it on the open u-haul trailer. A little bit of rain isn't going to hurt it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Overall dimensions-moving trailer Reply with quote

I took some measurements for you. Approx 5 1/2 feet wide and 12 1/2 feel long including the bumpers which mine have over riders on them. If you removed the bumpers and the header that sticks a bit out beyond the body it would come in at approx 12 feet long.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Overall dimensions-moving trailer Reply with quote

Hey Bashr52,

Congrats on the new job but sorry you have to move, moving is never fun.

300+ miles, could you just tow bar it?

If you were worried about rain, you could tarp cover the THING and bungie the crap out of it, if you keep your speeds below 70 i'd think you'd be ok.
As long as it's tightly wrapped.

But, in doing a tow bar you should wrap the front or use painters tape to help protect it from any debris slung from the tow truck itself.

I made a big mud flap for the tow hitch to help with some of the tow truck slung debris, it worked ok but I only use it for dragging the THING to kubletreffens when I go. I still used the blue painters tape to be safe.

But, if you never tow bar'd before, it could be a bit much to do and get used to for this one time.

But I've logged at least 4 to 5k miles towbaring and never had any problems.
Richmond Va to Branson Mo was the longest trip I ever tow bar'd.

Just don't back up (there are ways to do this but in the end the towbar can get bent) and get a tow extension bar so you can sharp turn the tow truck without kissing bumpers with the Thing and the tow truck.

Anyways just a suggestion, hope it all works out ok bud, good luck with your new job/location!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Overall dimensions-moving trailer Reply with quote

One more thought about the open trailer. If you wanted to protect it, you could have the car shrink wrapped at a boat yard. It's not expensive, and the wraps will permit towing at highway speeds without disintegrating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: