Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expansion tank
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Expansion tank Reply with quote

About ready to reinstall my gas tank. PO got rid of the charcoal filter but the expansion tank was still hooked up in the trunk. I am going to be running dual Webers on a 1776 engine. I’m will be installing all the venting hoses from the filler hose to the back of the expansion tank and back to the gas tank as it was designed but can I terminate the hose coming from the front of the expansion tank to under the car? Thank you.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Expansion tank Reply with quote

My two cents (and I am sure others may disagree)...

When I put mine back together, I basically did it for the aesthetics. Both the canisters (trunk and under the rear) were blocked and probably hadn't had any air flow through them in years. I put everything back in, but I know the metal tube running down the passenger side is still blocked.

I haven't had any issues and no bad smells. I just like the looks of everything.

jay
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Expansion tank Reply with quote

There are two metal tubes in the car-one by the front bulkhead near the brake master cylinder and the other under the passenger side floorpan that runs the length of the car. I would hook up a piece of small vacuum hose and try to blow through these pipes. The ends often rusted shut so if you cut off an 1" off the end it usually clears the blockage.

You do not need to use this and you can vent to the air like early VW's, but you do need a vent one way or the other or there will be suction on your gas tank and you will have a fuel flow problem.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Expansion tank Reply with quote

We make new metal lines on all the things we restore. The line is 1/8 line available at most parts store. Comes in 25ft that will do 2 cars. You can also use the center brake line, takes 2 and can be spliced with plastic hose. Take your old line to bend the new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Expansion tank Reply with quote

We make new metal lines on all the things we restore. The line is 1/8 line available at most parts store. Comes in 25ft that will do 2 cars. You can also use the center brake line, takes 2 and can be spliced with plastic hose. Take your old line to bend the new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: