Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help KentPS get back on the road?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I received a few texts from KentPS that he’s on a long bus trip in the boonies, and he lost power climbing to 6k feet last night. After a few undeliverable texts and no phone calls, we’ve found out that his number 3 exhaust valve has almost a quarter inch of clearance. (Solid lifters, set to .006” normally.)

Any suggestions that I can text him as he works out a way to get his bus out f the woods (figuratively and literally) this afternoon? I’ve already speculated that if a washer or chunk of carbon was holding the valve open, similar conditions would exist, but we don’t know where to go from here with limited tools and communication. I’ll pass on any ideas I can, until he gets back into cell service and can check this thread for himself.

Thanks in advance dudes!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

quickly thinking, is it just #3 exhaust which has the issue?

What would happen if Kent popped the rocker cover off and removed the rocker arms for that cylinder & pushrods too, see if he could get to somewhere running on three cylinders only.

I acknowledge it would misfire a lot but may give enough to limp somewhere?
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

so I guess I'll ask..
just what section of the boonies? where in particular?
just might be someone in the vicinity
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

1. where is he at?

2. did this happen while he was driving or after the car sat all night?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

I had a motor stick a valve recently from bad gas..

Once it was freed up, all was well..

Maybe he can feed some rope into a plug hole,
And turn the motor over (by hand),
Right as the suspect valve is supposed to be closing..??

We all dread the dropped seat,
But,
It might just be stuck??

Get going Robbie!
Hurry up!
“I’m here, where are you??”..

What’s That Noise?!?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

He’s at a campground outside he Grand Canyon. Dunno where, as bandwidth is limited so we’re not chit-chatting.

The ordeal came about when it wouldn’t start this morning, but he did admit to low power last night coming up in elevation. I don’t know if it was just oxygen-based power loss or valvetrain issues last night. I asked him to check the valves by hand to ensure they all clicked about the same, when he said he could get a 5mm Allen key between the valve and adjuster tip, and the adjuster wasn’t loose.

So is the concensus a stuck valve in the guide?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Could possibly be an ingested nut or screw stuck under the valve, not sure how I'd deal with that at a campground though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Audible compression test confirms one zero-compression cylinder.

I don’t want to suggest pushing the valve closed with a rope in case it’s held open by something harder than a rope...

L-Jet requires smooth airflow (luft, go figure...) so disabling one cylinder above 6,000 feet can really screw with the rest of the engine. Source: just did that at 10k feet in Breckenridge last week. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What would happen if we sprayed PB or WD at the guide and tapped it ever so lightly with a wrench or other light-but-hard tool?

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

maybe. If he can get it started, let it run 5 - 10 seconds and shut it off, wait a few minutes and try again as the head heats up - it may release the valve. I had it happen to me one morning at Idlywild with my 1971 where carbon deposits caused the valve to stick when cold. Just no reving the motor. He should look at the valve spring carefully to be sure one didn't break. If he had a propane torch I would say use that to heat the head and see if it comes back. Even a hair dryer on high powered by a generator m9ight heat the head up enough to free it. If he has a catalytic convertor it may get toasty and destroy it. I don't know what year he has. Time to use the AAA long distance tow.

That said, someone else broke down about there a few years back. There was an air cooled guy/shop in Flagstaff who helped him. I don't know if there is anyone in Williams.

You can try the carb cleaner, pb blaster or WD40 and LIGHT tapping. I don't know if that will get it. It may hang again the second the engine starts. You need heat to expand the guide if that is what it is. Otherwise it is the head cooled down and the seat came out issue. Where are you and where is Colin?

if it is a won't start thing then if his bus is carbed use a large screwdriver to hold the choke open to keep it from flooding. If it is FI remove the plug from the cold start injector. He is only at 6,000 feet so he should not have the same problems say if he was at 10,000 - 12,000 feet. Don't overlook the obvious too - more than one thing can be going on - the rubbing block can be worn too on the points.

Flagstaff thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374764&highlight=flagstaff

Last edited by SGKent on Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Pull the connector off injector for the bad cylinder and have him drive it home
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

edit: photo is not him.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

A few years ago a guy named Mike dropped a seat on #3 in his 1979 bus. He drove it from Colorado to San Diego where we rebuilt his heads. Thing was, he still had low compression in that cylinder because he never removed the connector from the injector. Bus drove several hundred miles on 3 cylinders.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
A few years ago a guy named Mike dropped a seat on #3 in his 1979 bus. He drove it from Colorado to San Diego where we rebuilt his heads. Thing was, he still had low compression in that cylinder because he never removed the connector from the injector. Bus drove several hundred miles on 3 cylinders.

Using the U-Haul website it looks like it is about $250+/- plus gas to get a small truck and car dolly in the Grand Canyon area, and tow back to Palm Springs.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

I’ve seen 2L fuel injected buses run quite well with good power on 3 cylinders before. There must be more than low compression causing it not to run
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I’ve seen 2L fuel injected buses run quite well with good power on 3 cylinders before. There must be more than low compression causing it not to run

Last edited by SGKent on Thu May 17, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
aeromech wrote:

see my post above yours. I don't think he just parked half in the road and spent the night. It looks more like he broke down there.

Okay, then find out why it won’t run on three cylinders because it should and we’ll enough to get home on
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Robbie will chime in - but that ain't Kent or his bus in the photo.

I think that is Robbie's example of "ask me how I know" from the Breckenridge example he cited.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hold the valve in the cylinder for changing valve springs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Hey folks!

Yes the picture is from last week when we were stuck going up hill with no power from a non-seated hydraulic lifts adjustment. We staged the photo while the chase truck unpacked the tow rope Smile

This time, it’s a factory 1700 build from 1973 with 1976 fuel injection feeding it except now the EGR has been disconnected for some time I believe. It passed smog last year and drove beautifully when I visited a month or two ago. Edit: no cat!

Kent says he heard a low compression cylinder during cranking, but didn’t feel it when he rotated th engine around several times by hand, noting that each cylinder had similar compression kickback to the wrench, just like last weeks valve adjustment.

Again, these are all coming across in text messages every twenty minutes or so, plus Buddy has a hot date a few counties north and I DO NOT have plans on being the next Stu Wink

I will do my best to teach the rope technique in 140 character messages... not enough service for pictures, AND the Type 4 must use a guide to get the rope all the way down through the tin into the plug hole, so you’re limited to much smaller rope fed through a tube like a Bic pen body.

Thanks for the thoughts, stay tuned!
Robbie from Illinois
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

And this is why we should all have AAA.
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: