Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help KentPS get back on the road?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Yes, Stuart is correct. And the engine donor is Xevin. Dancing

Fantastic news! How long until you need to smog again?
Colin's coming over next weekend to help me install my newly built engine. With luck we'll bump into each other by the end of the summer.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Yes, Stuart is correct. And the engine donor is Xevin. Dancing

Fantastic news! How long until you need to smog again?
Colin's coming over next weekend to help me install my newly built engine. With luck we'll bump into each other by the end of the summer.

Xevin is letting me keep it until I get the 1.7 done, or it blows up. At least, I think that's what he said.

No smog needed until next Spring.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Xevin is letting me keep it until I get the 1.7 done, or it blows up. At least, I think that's what he said.

Laughing Yep! Should buy you some time to get things sorted out and proper. Maybe some nice beach runs to escape the desert heat.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Sun May 27, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Laughing Yep! Should buy you some time to get things sorted out and proper. Maybe some nice beach runs to escape the desert heat.

Link

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Link

Oh Bill, Bill, Bill....
I can understand why "pc" isn't part of your screen name.... Rolling Eyes

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Link

Oh Bill, Bill, Bill....
I can understand why "pc" isn't part of your screen name.... Rolling Eyes

Come on! That was a funny response! It was awfully nice of Kevin to help out! Wink

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

I hope that nice new (old) exhaust, that we worked so hard to get to you, gets to be involved in the swap. If not, I know it will go to a good and deserving home.

I am happy that chloe gets to breath on.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Glad to see so much support from so many fellow enthusiasts. Kent and Chloe will be back!

Pay no heed to the furry duddies or Debbie downers of the Samba world. Do what you gotta do to get back on the road. Not everyone can afford the ham heads or the camper special in order to get back on the road. We would lose a large portion of VW Enthusiast if everyone thought that way. Shoot, most of the VWs at BBB were falling apart. Everyone is part of the family, not just the trailer queen guys!

As for smog, most of these smog guys in LA couldn’t tell one engine from another. I think the important things is the emissions, not the engine.

Sorry for the rant.

Have a safe Memorial Day and never forget those that have given the ultimate sacrifice for the 🇺🇸
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

I don't think anyone was being a downer....just speaking from real world experience, that's all.

if the guy doesn't have the $$ to do it right and keeps throwing band aids at it.....he will soon be frustrated in how the "piece of shit keeps breaking" and post it to the classifieds anyway...like so many have in the past.

no one said he needed a CS....but at minimum a top end overhaul....no big deal....people do it all the time and really, it's almost a maintenance item on these.... but if it's not in the cards financially, why put good money after bad? it's just a poor decision for him, and he really needs to focus on his health...not some stupid car. he can replace that, he can't replace his health.

in the end all of us "downer" types want to see him succeed. being stressed out and towed back from every vacation is not a "win" to me. every dollar spent on towing could be applied to a top end overhaul.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

You're right, skills. I've always appreciated your honest, no-nonsense approach to dealing with issues. I know you are relating your experiences that few of us have witnessed. And I agree that's what should be done. Which is why I had planned on parking Chloe for the next few months... If I can make it thru Summer (financially and medically) then I can start working on the engine correctly.

But Xevin and Stuart's offers are a great interim step. Once things improve, I'd like to reimburse Xevin (it's much easier for me to give help than to receive it) and then work on rebuilding the 2.0 when it's needed, since that was the size engine originally in Chloe. And also locate the correct transmission.

Chloe is a virtual melting pot of parts from Robbie, WilliamM, Andrewtf, Big Emma, cv66seabear, and numerous others when I was compiling the FI components last year. It would be cool to also have Maisy's engine in the mix.

---WildIdea

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

What a great thread and a bunch of great folks on this samba site. If there’s a hat being passed around I’d chip in too. Xevin, they don’t get much better than him. He is always helping others. But of course anyone responding on this is top notch. Just glad to hear all the support. I have a feeling Kent’s will be back on the road in time to enjoy the summer.
Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I don't think anyone was being a downer....just speaking from real world experience, that's all.

if the guy doesn't have the $$ to do it right and keeps throwing band aids at it.....he will soon be frustrated in how the "piece of shit keeps breaking" and post it to the classifieds anyway...like so many have in the past.

no one said he needed a CS....but at minimum a top end overhaul....no big deal....people do it all the time and really, it's almost a maintenance item on these.... but if it's not in the cards financially, why put good money after bad? it's just a poor decision for him, and he really needs to focus on his health...not some stupid car. he can replace that, he can't replace his health.

in the end all of us "downer" types want to see him succeed. being stressed out and towed back from every vacation is not a "win" to me. every dollar spent on towing could be applied to a top end overhaul.

I don't think anyone was being a downer either. People need to understand there's a lot of talented techs on this site who posted. They have decades of hands of VW wrenching under their belts. With that experience, they've learned what can be hobbled together reliably and what can't. I didn't see anyone suggesting Kent drop $25k on a CS engine. They did suggest do the minimum steps to insure it would be reliable after a top end job was completed to buy time.

I'm frequently out in my bus or bugs during the nice weather. I'm always shocked at people asking me in a parking lot "is it reliable" or "do you worry about it breaking down"!?! Rolling Eyes I quickly tell them I'd drive across country tomorrow w/out worry of a break down.

So many people over the years/decades did have ass repair work and zero preventative maintenance to these VW's that most folks assume they are un-reliable. The only thing unreliable about an old VW is the owner who does or doesn't do the correct repair and PM work. Wink

Kent, none of these comments were directed at you BTW!

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

. But I'm wondering if the 2.0l engine originally from Stuart's '78 will mate correctly with the '73 3-rib transmission that is in Chloe. Does anyone know?[/quote]

The engine from my '79 hooked up with my '73 Transmission with no problems.[/quote]
Keep your flywheel from the old engine, no problems if you do that.[/quote]

The 2.0 that was the loaner to Hasta Alaska so they could get their paint/trans/T-1 engine - was my 2.0 with 1800 heads. and - the 215mm clutch and it dropped right in- so as long as you don't get greedy for the 228 mm clutch- you should have no problems.

(See- Kent, you should have grabbed it when you could.)

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: