Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help KentPS get back on the road?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sounds to me like you have a valve moving...if it was tight and you have to loosen it to get .006, classic sign of it starting to stretch, or the seat has come loose after sinking into the head....I would suspect the next step is Subie swap if you keep driving it

Fixed that for you skills Very Happy

naaaa....he seems pretty hard core. I only push the conversions on those who want a little less 'adventure' on their vacations

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked Completely missed your thread-- You know I have heads and a bore scope- right???- Split rail is $20. a night- I even have the "Kombi crew" motor if you need a loaner- it's set up for FI right now just needs adjusters (cheap china foot ones came apart)- do your rebuild at your leisure.

Thats a hell of an offer

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Something like this would give you ~5mm, and could maybe pop back in for a while. Hope you make it home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Would have to comb through the build thread again,
But,
IIRC,
These are just some random, unknown, used heads, right?

That is playing Russian roulette... Your number will come up eventually.

Type 4 buses are known for dropping valve seats.
It's, like,
What they do..

Time for the old "out and apart"..

Now that you have sorted out the FI,
And can keep your mixture under control,
Go ahead and wince, look away, close your eyes, and click "Buy Now".

It's only money.. They'll print more.
https://type4store.com/cylinder-heads/camper-special.html

What’s That Noise?!?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Something like this would give you ~5mm, and could maybe pop back in for a while. Hope you make it home. I made it home about 1500km when it happened to me. Probably wouldn't try that again though.
Exactly what I was imagining when I made my worthless diagnosis. I hope it’s not that......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Nice to see you back on the road. Will you make it to the Prado?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Ya know - as Clatter said, it is Russian Roulette at this time with the engine but it makes good reading. When they did the movie Little Miss Sunshine they chose for the bus to have clutch problems - it would have been more appropriate to have both starter and a dropped valve seat, certainly lots more opportunity to keep everyone waiting to see what the outcome was going to be like here... I hope this ends well.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Pull the
Rockers
Pushrods
Lifters
FI plug
Run it
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Pull the
Rockers
Pushrods
Lifters
FI plug
Run it

lifters have oil pressure to them. Even with just the pushrod out the lifters can pop out and then oil flows right into the sump.

One would need an alternate rocker that has a wind up spring in it and an arm for the pushrod only. The spring would hold the lifter down. Nothing someone could engineer with odds and ends lying around.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Shocked Kent made it to Quartzsite Very Happy He just got the spark plug out --AND-- looks like some metallic welded to the spark plug- now going for the bore scope-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked Kent made it to Quartzsite Very Happy He just got the spark plug out --AND-- looks like some metallic welded to the spark plug- now going for the bore scope-

jury is back- its the valve seat- scope showed metal flowing from round the seat-

but only 150 miles or so.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

WilliamM helped me with identifying the problem with his borescope.

Yup, the valve seat... isn't.

Luckily, Bill has a 1700 head he's going to sell me. And rather than continuing tempting fate (and providing endless entertainment for my fellow Sambanistas), I'll be towing Chloe from Quartzite back to Palm Springs. Then I can take my time and replace the head along with a few other things I didn't do when I had it out last time.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. The good news is that you caught it and it did not drop the valve head into the cylinder.
Crying or Very sad
Tcash
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Glad you have most of your engine intact. Best of luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Well hell. I wanted more fun time pictures. I know a guy you could FaceTime with and rebuild that engine in like 3 hours time on top of a trash can Laughing

https://www.airschooled.com/

If Robbie isn’t available maybe call Richard Dean Anderson. He’s got nothing going on and lots of time. Very Happy

Link

Godspeed brother.

(williamM is awesome)

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Shocked All my trash cans have motors on them already- Embarassed (to catch the oil.)
We had "silly Al's" pizza then spent an hour checking cylinder heads in 3 locations before the last came up under 4"- so just got in a batch of 9mm guides,and valves, so may be able to get the head sorted before Kent has to go on Mon. He has rented a u-haul truck n trailer and can have it home in no time no-risk.
Wait till you see that seat- can't believe it made almost 300 miles.

Don't step in any!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Glad You caught this before you Grenaded a good Type IV case
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Okay, here's a shot of what the borescope revealed...

Yup, I got lucky to make it this far. So that's why I decided to Uhaul it home on Monday.

Btw... A borescope is a very cool and useful tool. I'm going to get one for work and for wrenching. Amazon has some that transmit the image via wifi to your iPhone. Great idea.

I'm spending the night in Chloe in Quartzite. It's about 80* with a gentle breeze. Perfect for sleeping.
G'night all. And thanks for everyone's input and advice. I do listen...sometimes. Very Happy

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Ouch, that's ugly!!

I have a wifi borescope and use it quite often for a lot of things. It's a very very useful tool and I like that I can sync it to both my phone and larger tablet. Having the larger image sometimes makes it easier to see what's going on - certainly a lot easier than a conventional scope.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Glad you found the issue!

Remind us. How many miles on that head? I "think" you just rebuild the engine?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

No- --Robbie put FI on it back a few summers ago (maybe last summer). I ran good - but had a sticky valve for a short while.-so was probably a long tooth original. will know more when Kent gets the head off- Possibility time to go 2.0 depending on the condition of the piston crown.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: